Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i
DS Mode Observation

I find the throttle and transmission response in DS mode (with any DDC setting) to be indistinguishable from the throttle and transmission response in D mode with the Sport settings activated. Selecting DS mode is a quick and easy way to get a sportier response and disable start/stop function in one motion.
2012 535i: Jet Black; Oyster and Black Nappa Leather; Dark wood trim; M Sport Package; Premium Sound Package; Technology Package; Premium Package; Active Roll Stabilization; Sport automatic transmission; Head-up Display; Power rear sunshade; Split fold-down-rear seat; BMW Apps; Side and Top View Cameras.
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I agree that it is a quick routine to get into to avoid auto stop start, but I think the toggle sport selection is more responsive and performance is noticeably better.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I too see no difference between DDC Sport and D/S mode.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
What is DDC?

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
What is DDC?
DDC = Dynamic Drive Control (Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport Plus) mode to alter throttle, gearshift response, steering assistance and stability control threshold)

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 03-31-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I too see no difference between DDC Sport and D/S mode.
As far as the transmission goes, neither does my service adviser and he's a very knowledgeable guy.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEnMan View Post
I find the throttle and transmission response in DS mode (with any DDC setting) to be indistinguishable from the throttle and transmission response in D mode with the Sport settings activated. Selecting DS mode is a quick and easy way to get a sportier response and disable start/stop function in one motion.
Must be new for 2012. With sport auto on my 2011 If I move the stick to the left (at a stop light for instance) it will say S 1. DDC Sport as you call it produces better response for me.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
DDC = Dynamic Drive Control (Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport Plus) mode to alter throttle, gearshift response, steering assistance and stability control threshold)

DDC is dynamic DAMPER control. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx Maybe they call it "DRIVE" in Europe, but as you can see from the link BMWUSA calls it "DAMPER". It puts the shocks into comfort, normal, or sport. It also alters other settings such as the steering effort and the throttle response and the transmission shift points. The transmission settings using the DDC sport setting is identical to moving the shift lever to the left that puts the tranmission into DS mode. The transmission has only two automatic settings, but there are different ways of selecting it. The transmission also has a manual setting. The DDC sport and sport plus have the same damper setting, but the sport plus changes the DSC settings to be less intrusive.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 03-31-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
To clarify, DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) is not to be confused either with another DDC (Dynamic Damper Control).

For F10 Models in 2011 only, a DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) was availble as a stand alone option on Sport Models and included with the M-Sport Package. The DHP (Dynamic Handling Package consisted of DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) and AD (Adaptive Drive), with the AD (Adaptive Drive) being a subpackage consisiting of both DDC (Dynamic Damper Control), which is an adaptive suspension, and ARS (Active Roll Stabilization), which are the dynamic anti-roll bars.

The DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) was discontinued after 2011, and with 2012 models, DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) became standard equipment, the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) became part of the Sport and M-Sport Packages, and the ARS (Active Roll Stabilization) became a stand alone option requiring either the Sport or M-Sport Packages.

Adding confusion, I think DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) is also referred to as VDC (Variable Damper Control) now, or is in Europe, and then there is EDC (Electronic Damper Control), although I think all three are one in the same.

It's confusing as all hell, at least to me it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWDDC.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	319339  

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 03-31-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston View Post
Must be new for 2012. With sport auto on my 2011 If I move the stick to the left (at a stop light for instance) it will say S 1. DDC Sport as you call it produces better response for me.
Something is weird with your car. You're the only person I know who can't put the lever to the left and still be in D (S).

Are you sure you're not bumping the lever at the same time?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Lightbulb

Ok....this is getting confusing! DDC...usc...ups...lever left or right!
Who cares!
Fliip lever over to the left...click button up to sport or sport plus! Foot down on accelerator and if u don't have that throttle delay such as we've talk ed about ur car will take off like a mini missile like I did today on some jackass Tailgating me and honking me as I got on the freeway.
guys I left this guy in a dodge charger with a raccoons tail hanging from the mirror so far back I looked down and I looked up and I was at triple digits
Love you guys just needed to shut the craziness down!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 03-31-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
To clarify, DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) is not to be confused either with another DDC (Dynamic Damper Control).

For F10 Models in 2011 only, a DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) was availble as a stand alone option on Sport Models and included with the M-Sport Package. The DHP (Dynamic Handling Package consisted of DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) and AD (Adaptive Drive), with the AD (Adaptive Drive) being a subpackage consisiting of both DDC (Dynamic Damper Control), which is an adaptive suspension, and ARS (Active Roll Stabilization), which are the dynamic anti-roll bars.

The DHP (Dynamic Handling Package) was discontinued after 2011, and with 2012 models, DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) became standard equipment, the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) became part of the Sport and M-Sport Packages, and the ARS (Active Roll Stabilization) became a stand alone option requiring either the Sport or M-Sport Packages.

Adding confusion, I think DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) is also referred to as VDC (Variable Damper Control) now, or is in Europe, and then there is EDC (Electronic Damper Control), although I think all three are one in the same.

It's confusing as all hell, at least to me it is.
Please click on the link I gave above: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx

This is the bmwusa website for the 2012 550i xDrive. Go to the sport or M sport package and place your cursor over the "DDC" option and it will indicate "Dynamic Damper Control". I can't find anything that says "Dynamic Drive Control". Can you please tell me where on the current bmwusa website the term "dynamic drive control" is listed for any of the 2012 models available in the United States?
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 03-31-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Ok....this is getting confusing! DDC...usc...ups...lever left or right!
Who cares!
Fliip lever over to the left...click button up to sport or sport plus! Foot down on accelerator and if u don't have that throttle delay such as we've talk ed about ur car will take off like a mini missile like I did today on some jackass Tailgating me and honking me as I got on the freeway.
guys I left this guy in a dodge charger with a raccoons tail hanging from the mirror so far back I looked down and I looked up and I was at triple digits
Love you guys just needed to shut the craziness down!
Another Kill!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
Please click on the link I gave above: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx

This is the bmwusa website for the 2012 550i xDrive. Go to the sport or M sport package and place your cursor over the "DDC" option and it will indicate "Dynamic Damper Control". I can't find anything that says "Dynamic Drive Control". Can you please tell me where on the current bmwusa website the term "dynamic drive control" is listed for any of the 2012 models available in the United States?
As I already explained, the DDC acronym has multiple meanings. DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) is standard in 2012, and this is the buttons next to the shifter for Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus modes. The DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) listed in your link, and as I previously wrote, is available as part of the Sport and M-Sport Packages, and is entirely different and involves a control module on each wheel automatically adjusting the shocks:

I know, it's confusing. You may want to read this:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...sis/index.html

DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) (aka Driving Experience Control):

How would you like to drive today? Driving Experience Control, fitted as standard, makes the difference. Adapt your BMW 5 Series Sedan to meet your needs or those of your passengers.

A touch of the Driving Experience Control next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from COMFORT to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed transmission Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Touch the paddle again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Stability Control allows controlled drifting to the limit.

The currently active mode is permanently displayed underneath the speedometer, and in the SPORT mode the drive train and chassis settings can be quickly and individually configured using the iDrive Controller for dynamic driving on badly surfaced roads for example.

The COMFORT+ mode is available with Dynamic Damping Control which provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.

DDC (Dynamic Damping Control):

Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac with Dynamic Damping Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style.

The perfect damping setting is what engineers are in search of on the test tracks. What they find is usually a compromise. However, with Dynamic Damping Control the BMW 5 Series Sedan provides a suitable setting for every surface without you having to intervene.

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces.

ARS (Active Roll Stabilization) (aka Adaptive Drive):

With Dynamic Drive the Dynamic Damping Control has been extended to Adaptive Drive. Equipped with active roll reduction the BMW 5 Series Sedan glides through bends with ease and comfort.

Dynamic Drive calculates the current driving situation based on lateral and longitudinal acceleration, speed and steering wheel angle and keeps the BMW 5 Series Sedan stable using stabilisers on the axles. In curves or during sudden changes of direction, it minimises body roll and enhances stable handling. By virtually eliminating swaying or tilting behaviour, Dynamic Drive delivers unmatched comfort, agility and stability to ensure travelling in the BMW 5 Series Sedan remains an undisturbed pleasure.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 03-31-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
As I already explained, the DDC acronym has multiple meanings. DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) is standard in 2012, and this is the buttons next to the shifter for Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus modes. The DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) listed in your link, and as I previously wrote, is available as part of the Sport and M-Sport Packages, and is entirely different and involves a control module on each wheel automatically adjusting the shocks:

I know, it's confusing. You may want to read this:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...sis/index.html

DDC (Dynamic Drive Control) (aka Driving Experience Control):

How would you like to drive today? Driving Experience Control, fitted as standard, makes the difference. Adapt your BMW 5 Series Sedan to meet your needs or those of your passengers.

A touch of the Driving Experience Control next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from COMFORT to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed transmission Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Touch the paddle again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Stability Control allows controlled drifting to the limit.

The currently active mode is permanently displayed underneath the speedometer, and in the SPORT mode the drive train and chassis settings can be quickly and individually configured using the iDrive Controller for dynamic driving on badly surfaced roads for example.

The COMFORT+ mode is available with Dynamic Damping Control which provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.

DDC (Dynamic Damping Control):

Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac with Dynamic Damping Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style.

The perfect damping setting is what engineers are in search of on the test tracks. What they find is usually a compromise. However, with Dynamic Damping Control the BMW 5 Series Sedan provides a suitable setting for every surface without you having to intervene.

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces.

ARS (Active Roll Stabilization) (aka Adaptive Drive):

With Dynamic Drive the Dynamic Damping Control has been extended to Adaptive Drive. Equipped with active roll reduction the BMW 5 Series Sedan glides through bends with ease and comfort.

Dynamic Drive calculates the current driving situation based on lateral and longitudinal acceleration, speed and steering wheel angle and keeps the BMW 5 Series Sedan stable using stabilisers on the axles. In curves or during sudden changes of direction, it minimises body roll and enhances stable handling. By virtually eliminating swaying or tilting behaviour, Dynamic Drive delivers unmatched comfort, agility and stability to ensure travelling in the BMW 5 Series Sedan remains an undisturbed pleasure.
Okay. I found the term "Dynamic Drive" in your link. This term is used without the word "control" added on. Dynamic Drive refers to the entire system of how the cars drives and, as you point out, includes the dynamic damper control, adaptive drive, active roll stabilization, etc. Never have I found the term "Dynamic Drive Control" and the abbreviation "DDC" used for it. "Dynamic Damper Control" is the only term referred to as "DDC". "Dynamic Damper Control" or "DDC" is the only DDC abreviation listed as an option or part of a package on the bmwusa website.

So, all this so called "confusion" is simply because "DDC" only refers to "dynamic damper control" it never refers to "dynamic drive control". "Dynamic Drive" is a term used by BMW but it is never referred to as "dynamic drive control", nor is the abbreviation DDC used to indicate anything other than "dynamic damper control". You are the only person on this blog who, in my experience here, has ever referred to "DDC" as "dynamic drive control", it has always meant "dynamic damper control" which is exactly the only way it is referred to anywhere on any of the BMW websites. I think that is the source of the "confusion".

DDC always means "dynamic damper control". It never means "dynamic drive control". The phrase "dynamic drive" is used, but never with the word "contol" following the works "dynamic drive". At least not in any of the references and links you have cited. I hope this clears up any confusion.

The phrase "Dynamic Driving Control", not "Dynamic Drive Control" is used once, but this is a mistake in syntax by the person who wrote the copy for this page, because it refers to which mode is selected in the "dynamic damper control". This switch on the console is only available when the optional "dynamic damper control" is put on the car. There is no optional "Dynamic Driving Control", it simply does not exist. The only way to get the choice between "comfort", "normal", "sport", or "sport plus", (or it's equivalent terminology in 2012 or 2013 models) is to order "dynamic damper control". There is no option called "dynamic drive control".

Last edited by richschneid; 04-01-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i
Sorry folks. Did not mean to start a confusing thread. By DDC, I meant Driving Dynamics Control (a term used in the BMW USA web site):
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...g_control@more.
2012 535i: Jet Black; Oyster and Black Nappa Leather; Dark wood trim; M Sport Package; Premium Sound Package; Technology Package; Premium Package; Active Roll Stabilization; Sport automatic transmission; Head-up Display; Power rear sunshade; Split fold-down-rear seat; BMW Apps; Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
You guys are making my head hurt on a Saturday morning. May I suggest just taking it to the track and see what works best for your car.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Something is weird with your car. You're the only person I know who can't put the lever to the left and still be in D (S).

Are you sure you're not bumping the lever at the same time?
Haha, I'll ask next time I'm at the dealer. I'm definitely not bumping the stick at the same time.. just goes straight to S 1. I'll ask to try it on another sport auto equipped car.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Okay. I found the term "Dynamic Drive" in your link. This term is used without the word "control" added on. Dynamic Drive refers to the entire system of how the cars drives and, as you point out, includes the dynamic damper control, adaptive drive, active roll stabilization, etc. Never have I found the term "Dynamic Drive Control" and the abbreviation "DDC" used for it. "Dynamic Damper Control" is the only term referred to as "DDC". "Dynamic Damper Control" or "DDC" is the only DDC abreviation listed as an option or part of a package on the bmwusa website.

So, all this so called "confusion" is simply because "DDC" only refers to "dynamic damper control" it never refers to "dynamic drive control". "Dynamic Drive" is a term used by BMW but it is never referred to as "dynamic drive control", nor is the abbreviation DDC used to indicate anything other than "dynamic damper control". You are the only person on this blog who, in my experience here, has ever referred to "DDC" as "dynamic drive control", it has always meant "dynamic damper control" which is exactly the only way it is referred to anywhere on any of the BMW websites. I think that is the source of the "confusion".

DDC always means "dynamic damper control". It never means "dynamic drive control". The phrase "dynamic drive" is used, but never with the word "contol" following the works "dynamic drive". At least not in any of the references and links you have cited. I hope this clears up any confusion.

The phrase "Dynamic Driving Control", not "Dynamic Drive Control" is used once, but this is a mistake in syntax by the person who wrote the copy for this page, because it refers to which mode is selected in the "dynamic damper control". This switch on the console is only available when the optional "dynamic damper control" is put on the car. There is no optional "Dynamic Driving Control", it simply does not exist. The only way to get the choice between "comfort", "normal", "sport", or "sport plus", (or it's equivalent terminology in 2012 or 2013 models) is to order "dynamic damper control". There is no option called "dynamic drive control".
BMW and others routinely use "Dynamic Driving Control" and "Driving Dynamics Control":

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...g_control@more

If you look at the above URL Link itself, it contains "dynamic_driving_control" and leads to an explanation of "Driving Dynamics Control".

The YouTube Video I posted in Post #8, which was posted by BimmerPost is titled "BMW F10 5-Series - Dynamic Drive Control"

In the Link I provided in Post #14 under the DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) it states:

..the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected.

In all these instances, the word "Control" is used, and none of them have anything to do with Dynamic Damper Control. In fact, it specifically states the the dampers operate irrespective of the Dynamic Driving Control mode.

I agree in that you are probably right in that BMW never official referred to Dynamic Driving Control as DDC, and only uses DDC to refer to Dynamic Damper Control; however, DDC referring to Dynamic Driving Control is routinely used on these forums, other forums, and elsewhere, and it is what the OP was referring to; not Dynamic Damper Control.

I may be wrong, but I do not think that I am, but I do not believe that "The only way to get the choice between "comfort", "normal", "sport", or "sport plus", (or it's equivalent terminology in 2012 or 2013 models) is to order "dynamic damper control"."

I believe this is now standard, and the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) option you refer to only adds the control modules on each wheel that automatically adjust the shocks, and is not selectable in anyway from the control button next to the gearshift.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I, or someone with a 2012 model without the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) option can chime in and confirm that they have the Dynamic Driving Control button and can choose between "comfort", "normal", "sport", or "sport plus"?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
BMW and others routinely use "Dynamic Driving Control" and "Driving Dynamics Control":

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...g_control@more

If you look at the above URL Link itself, it contains "dynamic_driving_control" and leads to an explanation of "Driving Dynamics Control".

The YouTube Video I posted in Post #8, which was posted by BimmerPost is titled "BMW F10 5-Series - Dynamic Drive Control"

In the Link I provided in Post #14 under the DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) it states:

..the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected.

In all these instances, the word "Control" is used, and none of them have anything to do with Dynamic Damper Control. In fact, it specifically states the the dampers operate irrespective of the Dynamic Driving Control mode.

I agree in that you are probably right in that BMW never official referred to Dynamic Driving Control as DDC, and only uses DDC to refer to Dynamic Damper Control; however, DDC referring to Dynamic Driving Control is routinely used on these forums, other forums, and elsewhere, and it is what the OP was referring to; not Dynamic Damper Control.

I may be wrong, but I do not think that I am, but I do not believe that "The only way to get the choice between "comfort", "normal", "sport", or "sport plus", (or it's equivalent terminology in 2012 or 2013 models) is to order "dynamic damper control"."

I believe this is now standard, and the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) option you refer to only adds the control modules on each wheel that automatically adjust the shocks, and is not selectable in anyway from the control button next to the gearshift.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I, or someone with a 2012 model without the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) option can chime in and confirm that they have the Dynamic Driving Control button and can choose between "comfort", "normal", "sport", or "sport plus"?
Here's the definition of:

"Dynamic Drive*
The concept
Dynamic Drive reduces the lateral inclination of
the vehicle that occurs during rapid driving in
curves or during quick evasive maneuvers.
Driving stability and driving comfort are increased
under all driving conditions. The system
utilizes active stabilizer bars on the front and rear
axles that react immediately to all driving situations.
Programs
The system offers two different programs.
The programs can be selected via Dynamic Driving
Control, refer to page 98.
SPORT
Sporty tuning for greater driving agility.
NORMAL
Comfort-oriented tuning for optimal comfort."

This is a direct quote from my owner's manual. It is a clear description of Active Roll Stabilization. The term "Active Roll Stabilzation" does not appear in the index of my owner's manual. So, I think, according to the definition in my owner's manual the term "Dynamic Drive" is synonymous with "Active Roll Stabilization". That is why "Dynamic Drive" does not appear as an option on the bmwusa website, it has been replaced with "active roll stabilization". This indicates only a choice between "sport" and "normal", no "comfort" or "sport plus". ARS is now listed as a $2500 option on the 550i. I don't see it listed at all on the 528i.

As indicated above Dynamic Drive:

"The system utilizes active stabilizer bars on the front and rear
axles that react immediately to all driving situations."

The DDC and its ability to choose between comfort, normal, sport, and sport plus is not standard. I have seen F10s in the parking lot with the absence of this toggle switch. Again, please go to the website under "packages and options" for the F10 and you will not find the phrase "Dynamic Drive Control" listed anywhere. Nor does that phrase appear anywhere else that I can find on the entire website under any vehicle. DDC always means "Dynamic Damper Control".

I have never seen DDC refer specifically to "dynamic drive control" by anyone else on these forums. Can you please copy and paste such a posting and indicate exactly where it comes from so I can check it out myself. Thanks.

Last edited by richschneid; 04-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
You guys are making my head hurt on a Saturday morning. May I suggest just taking it to the track and see what works best for your car.
Must be hurting really badly if you think it's Saturday...

Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
...I have never seen DDC refer specifically to "dynamic drive control" by anyone else on these forums. Can you please copy and paste such a posting and indicate exactly where it comes from so I can check it out myself. Thanks.
Here you go:

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry folks. Did not mean to start a confusing thread. By DDC, I meant Driving Dynamics Control (a term used in the BMW USA web site):
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...g_control@more.
The OP used DDC, to which I responded, and he is referring to "Driving Dynamics Control"; not DDC (Dynamic Damper Control). Again, the Driving Dynamic Control Switch to select COMFORT to NORMAL, NORMAL to SPORT and SPORT + is independent of and has nothing to do with DDC (Dynamic Damper Control).

Again, you are probably right in that BMW officially only uses DDC to refer to Dynamic Damper Control; however, this is not what the OP was referring to, so I answered 5seriesHB's question as it related to the OP's post in the context of which it was asked.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 04-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Here you go:

The OP used DDC, to which I responded, and he is referring to "Driving Dynamics Control"; not DDC (Dynamic Damper Control). Again, the Driving Dynamic Control Switch to select COMFORT to NORMAL, NORMAL to SPORT and SPORT + is independent of and has nothing to do with DDC (Dynamic Damper Control).

Again, you are probably right in that BMW officially only uses DDC to refer to Dynamic Damper Control; however, this is not what the OP was referring to, so I answered 5seriesHB's question as it related to the OP's post in the context of which it was asked.
To clarify the above, Dynamic Damper Control functionality is not part of the standard Driving Dynamic Control Switch to select COMFORT to NORMAL, NORMAL to SPORT and SPORT +; however, if you have the Dynamic Damper Control option, I believe the mapping for the electronic damper adjustments are extended to and incorporated into Dynamic Control Switch. In other words, you can have COMFORT, NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT + without the Dynamic Damper Control option; however, if you opt for the Dynamic Damper Control option, it's control mapping is added to the Driving Dynamic Control Switch.

Interesting enough, I checked the DDC Acronym in both Acronym References below, and both list it as BMW Dynamic Drive Control:

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.co...+Drive+Control
Dynamic Drive Control
DDC (redirected from Dynamic Drive Control)
DDC Dynamic Drive Control (BMW)

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Dynamic...MW)-(DDC).html
What does DDC stand for?
Dynamic Drive Control (BMW)

But this article here sums it all up best:

http://blog.autoworld.com.my/index.p...-bmw-7-series/

Firstly, there's the Dynamic Driving Control, which allows the driver to choose between four driving setups Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ - still showing a slightly sporty bias on BMW's part. The Dynamic Driving Control system varies gear shifting maps, steering assistance, throttle response and all the other driving electronics onboard.

Notice I didn't use the acronym DDC for Dynamic Driving Control. BMW doesn't either, for good reason. Doing so, would lead to confusion with Dynamic Damper Control, a system which adjusts the damping rates of each wheel independently. The driver can vary the Dynamic Damper Control map by adjusting the Dynamic Driving Control setting to the four above mentioned modes.

So yes, while DDC is widely and incorrectly used to refer to Dynamic Driving Control, and should be reserved only for Dynamic Damper Control as the above author wisely points out, the use of and subject of this Thread nonetheless was Dynamic Driving Control.

Now that it's well past noon, I am going to go get DDC as in Drunk and Disorderly Conduct

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 04-01-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 PM

"Dynamic Driving Control*
The concept
Dynamic Driving Control can be used to adjust
the driving dynamics of the vehicle. Several pro[***8208;
Online Edition for Part no. 01 41 2604541 - 03 10 500 Driving stability control systems]
grams are available for this purpose; they can be
activated using the two Dynamic Driving Control
buttons.
Operating the programs
Press the button Program
DSC OFF
TRACTION
SPORT+
SPORT
NORMAL
COMFORT*
For Dynamic Damper Control*, the lower button
is labeled with COMFORT."

This is a direct copy and paste from my owner's manual. It indicates that the Dynamic Drive Control is standard and adjusts to Sport +, Sport, or Normal. It also indicates that the "lower button is labeled with COMFORT" only when the car is equipped with Dynamic Damper Control. That is, Comfort Mode is only available if DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) is included as an option on the car. Also, the only way to set the shocks of the DDC to comfort, normal, or sport is to use the "Dynamic Driving Control" buttons. I don't think the shock setting in Sport is any different than in Sport+.

This is certainly confusing terminology. I think I have learned something from this discussion. Even if it is on a Sunday, and not a Saturday.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Must be hurting really badly if you think it's Saturday...
It hurts even more now, but I'll start a new thread...

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)