Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
Post World Premiere: The BMW i8 Concept Spyder Two Seater Arrives in Style

BMW i8 Concept Spyder

Almost everyone has seen the BMW i8 concept that was featured in last year's Hollywood hit Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol but now BMW is showing off the BMW i8 Concept Spyder as one more car in the BMW i line up. The i8 Concept Spyder is an open-top two-seater with true sports car performance from a hybrid design (354 hp) with almost unbelievable fuel economy (up to 94 mpg).

Enticing Design Elements

BMW i8 Concept Spyder Design

The first design element you will probably notice that is different from the i8 Concept is the upward-swiveling, windowless doors. When you add in the sporty, aggressive front end design with the low sitting rear the whole design works to capture your imagination as to how great the car will look in person. This i8 Concept Spyder also features a slightly shorter wheelbase and overall length giving it a sportier stance.

Uncompromising Performance

BMW i8 Concept Spyder Performance

The construction of the i8 Concept Spyder follows in the footsteps of the other i brand models using high-quality, high-tech materials. This combined with its hybrid powered drivetrain utilizing a lithium-ion battery based electric motor and a turbocharged three-cylinder combustion engine allows for total power output to come in at 354 horsepower and roughly 405 lb-ft of torque.

The 131 horsepower electric motor on the front axle works in tandem with the 223 horsepower combustion engine through the rear wheels to accelerate the car to 62 mph in just five seconds and a electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. The most amazing stat has to be that the i8 Concept Spyder still manages to achieve an equivalent of 94 miles per gallon in fuel economy!

The lithium-ion battery can be fully charged from a domestic power socket in less than two hours giving a range of up to 19 miles on electric power alone. When a high-voltage alternator is connected to the combustion engine, extra power is generated and stored in the hybrid battery. This is another range extending feature giving you the ability to travel further distances between charging stations.

Improved Levels of Connectivity

BMW i8 Concept Spyder Connectivity

The BMW i8 Concept Spyder is a trend setter for driver assistance systems to enhance the safety and comfort of the car including collision warning systems, parking assistance and a traffic jam assistant.

BMW has also provided numerous remote features to enable communication with the car with a smartphone including the ability to locate their car, show nearby charging stations, charging of the battery at pre-set intervals and the ability to get a status update of the car.

Communication to the driver and passenger is enhanced inside the car utilizing two primary displays for central information and a third screen showing automatic climate control settings. The main instrument cluster shows typical information such as speed but also shows new data including an energy readout showing how much energy is being utilized by the car.

The central information display gives critical information to the driver including the status of the hybrid system, navigation settings and additional information that is brought in from the outside world. This display gives the driver up to the minute details on how the hybrid system is working and how the energy is flowing in the system.

BMW i8 Concept Spyder Sustainability

The BMW i8 Concept Spyder follows the release of the i3 and i8 concept models to show BMW's commitment to utilizing new technology to improve sustainability. The idea of sustainability flows throughout the entire i Brand including purchasing, development, production, sales and marketing. This will be seen in full force through BMW manufacturing at the Leipzip plant which will see an additional 70% reduction in water use and 50% drop in energy consumption per vehicle in the years ahead. All the energy that will be used in the manufacturing process will be sourced fully through renewable sources.

To read more about the BMW i Concept Spyder, read the full press release available here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/bmw-pr...ept-spyder.pdf

Also, read more about the original i3 and i8 Concept vehicles here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=558053
More about World Premiere: The BMW i8 Concept Spyder Two Seater Arrives in Style

BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 1BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 2BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 3BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 4BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 5BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 6BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 7BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 8BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 9BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept 10

Advertisement
Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 e30
what an amazing car. Cant wait.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540iA
Hmmm. I'd like to know more about the all-electric mileage limits and cost per battery Kwh and less about the gas powered horsepower. And all those angular surfaces and blue highlights are really not necessary for me. I would like to see the roof.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750i Xdrive M
19 miles of range? Pretty pathetic. Not even 20 miles.