Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Question Self leveling question

So last week my passenger rear air suspension bag hissed one day. I knew that meant order a new one. It didn't hiss for several more days which was odd. Today I go to drive home and the battery was dead. While sitting waiting for a jump I hear the air pump turn on. Now I remember when the drivers side airbag did this I thought it only pumped up when I got in the car not all day long while it sits there..... Am I wrong on this? Now my battery has drained low 2 times in a week. I have it on a slow 2 amp charge but I am afraid it is time for a replacement. Also after replacing the bag the pump seems to be louder and running more frequently then I remember it running before which was never..... Any thoughts?

Last edited by RachaelsX5; 04-01-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM

Question Additional info

It is now about 24 hours later and dead battery again after 6 hours of charging at 2 amps. When I leave the car sitting for about 3 hours the passenger side drops slightly more than the drivers side. They both pump up as soon as I open a door so this tells me that my fix might not be the current issue. So I am asking you experts out there. Have you experienced after your air bags were replaced that the wear and tear of a punctured airbag on each side in about a 3 month period is too much for the air compressor? And thus the air compressor is losing pressure? Or is it more likely a fitting not getting a perfect seal on the passenger side by me and the drivers side by a mechanic a few months back? As always your insight is appreciated!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 AM
RC Car Speeder

Mein Auto: BMW X3,850i, 1969 GTO,
Hi, this is my first post here but my dad's X5 had this problem as well. It pretty much had a tear in the front right Airbag and would keep lowering in the front. Everyday after sitting it would become a lowrider in the front Soon the air compressor burned out and it stayed like this. We pretty much ended up installing a car lift and getting a spring conversion kit from strutmasters and installing that. It was cheaper than the repairs that the stealership wanted for fixing the air suspension problems. I would suggest this than repairing the air suspension since it has alot of issues and componets to fix.
For your problem, try checking the black hoses going to the airbags? Its hard to say if maybe one is torn or maybe one of the new airbags has a problem.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Hi RachaelsX5,

Did you find solution for your problem. I too have the same problem. After replacing 2 from air suspensions, now I am getting Self Level inactive warning signal. Now my mechanic is saying it is time to replace compressor as it is not able to pump enough air?

I have doubt about the air supply hose? Did you get to the bottom of your problem.

Thanks in advance