Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 MB SLK 350 & BMW 328i
F30 vs F10. Which would you choose?

If you had to choose between F30 & F10 with the following options with the quoted price, which would you choose (or have chosen):

Jet Black 528i ($48,894.00)

Mineral Grey 328i ($49,820.00)

Assuming you could negotiate the same discount off both vehicles, which would be a 'better buy'? I was just a bit taken by surprise when I actually saw an F10 (528i) being priced below an F30 (328i), but then again, the 328i is pretty much loaded besides the Harman Kardon (Premium Sound) Package. And if I'm not mistaken, most Bimmer enthusiasts believe that the N20 engine is more suitable for the F30 than the F10. Anyways, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I will be posting this on both the F30 & F10 threads for a more non-biased opinion.

Last edited by malc410326; 04-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Depends on what's more important. Toys and more nimble driving or space, a nicer interior and slightly softer driving?

That's what it basically comes down to.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Depends on what's more important. Toys and more nimble driving or space, a nicer interior and slightly softer driving?

That's what it basically comes down to.
Very true regarding your statement above. It really comes down to one's needs. Of course, many believe that if one goes up a series (i.e. 3 to 5) that you are getting a more 'quality' or 'better' vehicle....I just wonder from time to time if that is necessarily true when comparing the 528i to the 328i.

By the way, that quote in your sig is brilliant! LOL!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malc410326 View Post
If you had to choose between F30 & F10 with the following options with the quoted price, which would you choose (or have chosen):

Assuming you could negotiate the same discount off both vehicles, which would be a 'better buy'? I was just a bit taken by surprise when I actually saw an F10 (528i) being priced below an F30 (328i), but then again, the 328i is pretty much loaded besides the Harman Kardon (Premium Sound) Package. And if I'm not mistaken, most Bimmer enthusiasts believe that the N20 engine is more suitable for the F30 than the F10. Anyways, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I will be posting this on both the F30 & F10 threads for a more non-biased opinion.
This is a very apples and oranges choice. The only thing the same is the price and the engine. A 528i is larger, the interior is nicer, but with the n20 engine it is not going to near nearly as quick as the comparably powered f30. Without the sport package, the handling difference between f10 and f30 is going to be even more contrasting. And, the mineral grey is an absolutely gorgeous color. I wish it had been available on the f10, as it is much prettier than space grey. Personally, if that was the price I was constrained to, I would have gotten the f30. You are getting a really nice 3 series with a lot of options. For that price with the 528i, you are getting the lower end of what the new 5 series has to offer.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
This is a very apples and oranges choice. The only thing the same is the price and the engine. A 528i is larger, the interior is nicer, but with the n20 engine it is not going to near nearly as quick as the comparably powered f30. Without the sport package, the handling difference between f10 and f30 is going to be even more contrasting. And, the mineral grey is an absolutely gorgeous color. I wish it had been available on the f10, as it is much prettier than space grey. Personally, if that was the price I was constrained to, I would have gotten the f30. You are getting a really nice 3 series with a lot of options. For that price with the 528i, you are getting the lower end of what the new 5 series has to offer.
Thanks for this very non-biased response and very well said....

It ultimately comes down to one's needs and how to maximize one's hard earned cash. To be honest, both vehicles are outstanding and I'm glad I didn't have to choose between the two when I was in the process of purchasing our family's first (and hopefully not last) Bimmer.

By the way, you have a STUNNING 2012 535i Bimmer my friend. And not to mention fully loaded with all the tech gadgets and such. Well done!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Hate to say it, but "image" (i.e., market segment) is a factor as well, which sometimes is lost in these threads. The 3 is a very worthy entry-level sport sedan, while the F10 is a full-fledged executive luxury-sport sedan. These are two distinct markets -- I sometimes find it interesting that people don't have a clearer choice path when considering this factor. I like to ask this question: Do you think a lot of people struggle with a choice between a C and E?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 04-01-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Hate to say it, but "image" (i.e., market segment) is a factor as well, which sometimes is lost in these threads. The 3 is a very worthy entry-level sport sedan, while the F10 is a full-fledged executive luxury-sport sedan. These are two distinct markets -- I sometimes find it interesting that people don't have a clearer choice path when considering this factor. I like to ask this question: Do you think a lot of people struggle with a choice between a C and E?

Yessir..The saying "Image is everything" does become a factor when purchasing a luxury vehicle. For a majority of the general public (not to say it applies in this forum, but who really knows ), getting a vehicle higher up in the 'food chain' of a particular brand would mean getting a better car.

In regards to your question of people struggling with the choice between a C and E...How about this...A 'C' for the wife and an 'E' for the husband! (I assume you are speaking of Benz, right?)
Old 04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
In regards to your question of people struggling with the choice between a C and E...How about this...A 'C' for the wife and an 'E' for the husband! (I assume you are speaking of Benz, right?)
Yes, that would work! If only my wife would want a "C" (yes I meant MB). For now she'll stick with her Acura -- oh well. I don't know why, but my own feeling is MB buyers have a clearer view of the C/E choice, I may be wrong. I somehow feel E shoppers don't really consider the C.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Would a well powered F30 without all kinds of price and weight adding features not be the finest choice?
A minimum on electronics and sport suspension and sport auto transmission on 18 inch non RFT's.
Sportseats, but no external sport body features and such, standard color, no leather.
White body/ black interior alu hex and anthracite ceiling.
What motor?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
There's a third option which is a moderately equipped 335i. That would be my choice at this price.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Thanks for this very non-biased response and very well said....

It ultimately comes down to one's needs and how to maximize one's hard earned cash. To be honest, both vehicles are outstanding and I'm glad I didn't have to choose between the two when I was in the process of purchasing our family's first (and hopefully not last) Bimmer.

By the way, you have a STUNNING 2012 535i Bimmer my friend. And not to mention fully loaded with all the tech gadgets and such. Well done!
Getting it detailed next Sat., so afterwards I will post some pics. By the way, I test drove the 328i luxury line and liked it a lot. I just wanted something a little bigger and a little more towards the luxury end. I saw a mineral grey luxury line 328i yesterday and thought to myself..I want one of those too!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 sDrive 23i
Nine of them...530d
Old 04-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:
Very true regarding your statement above. It really comes down to one's needs. Of course, many believe that if one goes up a series (i.e. 3 to 5) that you are getting a more 'quality' or 'better' vehicle....I just wonder from time to time if that is necessarily true when comparing the 528i to the 328i.

By the way, that quote in your sig is brilliant! LOL!
But the fact is, it is true.

Just the amount of plastic you can find in a 3 compare to that of a 5 can shows which are made with more quality.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I was in the same situation as you were a few weeks back, we test drove the F30 and the F10. We ended up with something else, but thats a story for another day.
The two car is very similar in size inside and out, The 528xi seem under power, a lot of noise from the engine but the car seems too heavy for the powertrain. The 328xi however, while still very noisy but it pick up much better than the 528xi. We also test drove the 535xi, that power plant was much more worthy of the BMW badge.
If I had to choose between the two, no doubt it would be the 328i. Its alot more fun to drive and not under powered. I guess it really comes down to your priority, fun factor vs the bragging right of howning a 5 series instead of a three.
One a side note, the F30's seats are very uncomfortable and that pop up screen that doesnt retract was a deal breaker for us.

Last edited by The X Men; 04-01-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
That's a good question. I feel like this is less of an issue with M-B, as M-B's flagships get more toward the larger/more luxurious side of the spectrum, whereas the 3-Series is essentially BMW's flagship and the most true to the core of BMW's qualities.

I think that since M-B buyers mostly seek more luxury and "presence" per-se, the E buyers wouldn't consider a C so much. While BMW still has many buyers who seek sportive dynamics and tight driving feels, hence the 3 being more of a "threat" to the 5.

Also, on another note, the previous generation E/C looked very similar to each other, while the previous E/3 looked very different.

Now, the E/C have many exclusive styling traits from each other, and it's hard to confuse the two. The 3 and 5 I'd assume to most, and I admit to even me who considers himself someone who is very intricate and studies cars designs regularly, can almost look interchangeable, namely from any angle but the front. I do realize that there are lots of technical differences, but the overall language and general theme are extremely alike, with different nuances here and there.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I honestly would never get a 528 due to lack of power and driving pleasure. The new F30 328 is big enough (a lot roomier than the old E90), has 85% of all the features the new F10 has (not sure how BMW allowed for such luxurious packages to go to 3 series, but whatever I won't complain), has a lot better mileage (some people are reporting 38-40 mpg with the new 328!), and lets be honest it looks newer, F10 has been around what 2 years now and people have gotten used to it, F30 has the new car look on it which will make head turns for a few more months.