Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 05-19-2004, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: M3
525i domestic or ED purchase?

Thank you all for your help in advance. I have a few small questions:

1) From what I understand from previous threads, $1-1.5K over Euro invoice represents a good deal for an ED purchase. It was unclear, though, whether that included the destination charge or not. Does it?

----------------------------

2) I have received an offer for $500 over invoice for a domestic (i.e. non-ED) 525i sale with the following configuration. Assuming that I can get $1-1.5K over invoice for a ED sale (Not including destination charge), does my math make sense below? Am I missing something, or will it be $2,145K cheaper to buy ED? I realize there are other costs like plane ticket etc, but am I missing anything else that I pay BMW, etc?

Domestic- Base (@ Invoice): $36,380 Options (@ Invoice): $7,310 MACO: $450 Dest: $695 Dealer Profit over invoice: $500 = $45,335

ED- Base (@ Invoice): $33,685 Options (@ Invoice): $7,310 Dest: $695 Dealer Profit over invoice: $1,500 = $43,190

(Options: Fold-Down Seats-$430; Xenon Headlights-$730; Nav System-$1,640; Premium Package-$2,185; Prem Sound-$1,640; Cold Package-$685)

----------------------------------

3) I have heard of domestic incentives- perhaps not advertized- giving $1K in holdback for 530i, does anyone know if this applies to 525i? If it does, would that mean $500 over invoice is more like $1-1.5K over invoice for the dealer? (No problem with this, but curious)

----------------------------------

4) I have seen a lot of posts about bluetooth and BMW assist. Just to be clear, if I order a 525i with BMW assist, I could not get bluetooth unless I rip out the assist stuff and installed the bluetooth module offered by dealers like circle BMW? Can I get the premium package and tell them to leave out the Assist stuff? If I order a car for a september ED, will it work with Bluetooth and Assist?

--------------------------------------

5) I have seen comments that BMW financing might not be the lowest out there but one might encounter difficulty explaining ED to other lenders. Has anyone successfully explained ED to non-BMW financers? Who?

----------------------------------------

6) Does anyone have a sense of the lowest financing rate for 60-months that is available from BMW? (Assuming best credit)

--------------------------------------

Thank you all so much again. Still trying to get my arms around these issues, and your insights are invaluable.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 05-19-2004, 05:26 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
1) The $1K to $1.5K over invoice does not include the destination charge. That's purely the dealer's profit. Everything is summed up in the invoice price (destination charge is invariant whether you're talking invoice or retail anyhow). And since you have to pay the destination charge whether you go ED or domestic, it really doesn't matter all that much.

2) It looks like your math is basically sound. ED is supposed to be cheaper, even if you were to compare full retail ED and domestic. It's roughly 7% cheaper, so even though you're paying less over invoice for the domestic deal, ED still comes out better.

5) Do a search in this forum. Although it can be a hassle, there have been successful cases of other lenders consummating ED deals.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 05-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
1) Just like a standard (domestic) purchase the destination fee ($695) is extra and is not included in the invoice.

2) I didn't double check your numbers but the way you're thinking about it is correct. You will need to have a valid passport which will cost you money if you don't have one already. When I picked up my 330i last month, BMW was nice enough to give me a full tank of gas (about $90 in Germany) so that was a welcome perk. We'll see if the dealer tops it off at redelivery... I'm not sure how long you are thinking of spending in Europe but be aware that it is expensive in general and more so given the current exchange rate. We had a very nice trip (not extravagant, but nice) and it was over $4500 for 18 days including hotel but without airfare (used airmiles). Of that almost $400 was for gas (1850 miles) and highway vignettes (Swizerland and Austria).

3) Dunno. I was a little annoyed to see a $2400 incentive on 330's in May. This largely negates the ED discount but our trip was such a blast (http://www.borisandlisa.com/adventures/europe.htm) that all is good.

4) Dunno. I (unfortunately) have BMW Assist. I plan on investigating the Bluetooth option once I get my car back.

5) My dealer (BMW of Bellevue, WA) does a lot of financing through the 1st Tech credit union and it was not a problem at all. The CU gave me a rate of 3.69% so that's where I wound up. Depending on what you do in SF you may qualify also.

6) I don't remember what it was but they couldn't touch 3.69%.

That glare you see is from the lights at the BMW Delivery Center in Munich
Old 05-19-2004, 07:36 PM
iLike iDrive

Mein Auto: 99 Z3, 04 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsmit
2) I have received an offer for $500 over invoice for a domestic (i.e. non-ED) 525i sale with the following configuration. Assuming that I can get $1-1.5K over invoice for a ED sale (Not including destination charge), does my math make sense below? Am I missing something, or will it be $2,145K cheaper to buy ED? I realize there are other costs like plane ticket etc, but am I missing anything else that I pay BMW, etc?
For ED, the negotiated price should take care of everything...from pick-up in Munich, drop-off, then re-delivery to your dealer stateside. There are no more charges to be paid to BMW NA or the dealer.

In my case, after I agreed to their price quote (1.5% above ED invoice BTW), the dealer tried to add $290 as a "vehicle prep charge". I asked what it was about and supposedly it's to "prep" the car for me prior to redelivery. I figured all cars are "prepped" anyway (and this is just another mark-up) so I refused to accept it and it came off.