Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Not at all unusual to see BMW speedos reading 10 mph fast on the max side of the dial....
But the limiter is based on indicated speed, not real speed, so fuel should cut off at 128 mph on the speedo, even if you're really only going 120 mph.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_T View Post
134 MPH indicated, but there is a speedo error inherent to the E46. There was more rev's left, but the brain wouldn't let it go any faster.

As for going that fast, just habit. Every vehicle I've had I found out what it would do, and yes it was always on the track. ...well maybe.
I highly suggest you NOT install that little "snapshot" doo dad that Progressive insurance touts can help you save money on your insurance. It might help you get CANCELLED!

BTW, 134 indicated should be right at the 128mph cutoff.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i MT Black/Black
Every vehicle I've owned and about half of those I've driven otherwise I've either hit the limiter or truly maxed it out. Of the limited vehicles, the E46 is the highest one I've encountered.

I'd love to have no limiter just to know I can do it. I've hit the limiter in this car honestly twice since I don't really have stretches of road where I'm comfortable keeping it matted for that long, but it's just annoying to know it's artificially holding me back.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
I've hit 152 MPH in my '99 Acura TL when I was in a "controlled environment". I had a cold air intake, gutted cat, and that was it. I was on a slight decline and about to hit redline, so I let off. If I get software like I'm strongly considering, I think it could EASILY hit 150 MPH, which is plenty fast for me.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 04-04-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
Did it actually shut down or did the engine just cut in and out? Usually, at least in other cars, when the limiter kicks in the engine just 'jerks' and won't let you go any faster but it doesn't shut down.
There is no indication of a rev limiter type on & off, it is a steady RPM and no more or no less. I even set the cruise at that speed and smooth as could be, but just didn't go any faster.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I highly suggest you NOT install that little "snapshot" doo dad that Progressive insurance touts can help you save money on your insurance. It might help you get CANCELLED!

BTW, 134 indicated should be right at the 128mph cutoff.
You are right there. Particularly when the number is 167 mph for the Vette...things happen pretty quick.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Not at all unusual to see BMW speedos reading 10 mph fast on the max side of the dial....

As far as ZHP top speeds go, suffice it to say that that last five or seven mph takes a LOT of road to get up to....
Yep, definitely wind is your enemy. However at those speeds 1/2-1 mile goes by really quickly, will require lots of room.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Seriously. Unless your on the autobahn or tracking your car there's no point of having your car do over 100mph ever really.
+1. Like others who have responded, I've driven a BMW at 120-130 mph on the autobahn while a Ferrari blew by me like I was standing still. The drivers there are much more courteous and I felt safe enough that I had my whole family in the car with me while on vacation. It was really no big deal.

There are NO public highways anywhere in North America that I would consider doing the same. The fastest I would go is 90 mph. The road surface just isn't designed for those speeds even if the road is clear. One little slip of the tires or a piece of tire retread that the damn trucks are always dropping and you will be sliding off the road.

This just happened very close to where I live yesterday. Some drunk teenager was going an estimated 90 mph on the city streets at 2 am. Killed his passenger but miraculously, he was ok. He will be sitting in jail for a long time if there is any justice. The other half of the car is across the street with thousands of pieces scattered everywhere.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rangerover.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	319705   Click image for larger version

Name:	rangerover2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	319707  

Last edited by ckleung100; 04-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Tilted, Brim low Brim low

Mein Auto: 2003 e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleung100 View Post
+1. Like others who have responded, I've driven a BMW at 120-130 mph on the autobahn while a Ferrari blew by me like I was standing still. The drivers there are much more courteous and I felt safe enough that I had my whole family in the car with me while on vacation. It was really no big deal.

There are NO public highways anywhere in North America that I would consider doing the same. The fastest I would go is 90 mph. The road surface just isn't designed for those speeds even if the road is clear. One little slip of the tires or a piece of tire retread that the damn trucks are always dropping and you will be sliding off the road.

This just happened very close to where I live yesterday. Some drunk teenager was going an estimated 90 mph on the city streets at 2 am. Killed his passenger but miraculously, he was ok. He will be sitting in jail for a long time if there is any justice. The other half of the car is across the street with thousands of pieces scattered everywhere.

The F Is wrong with that man? I dont even know the passenger but i know that the driver should of met the grim reaper rather.... I guess they just hand out licenses now huh?

Sent From The 4G Evo Sprint. Bimmer App.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
+1.
Evidently you have never been to Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Kansas, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, and lest we forget Montana where you use to let-r-rip on the interstate in remote locations and be in no jeopardy. Like the bumper sticker says if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch….of course I talking about race tracks, right?!?!?!

Last edited by P_T; 04-04-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_T View Post
Evidently you have never been to Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Kansas, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, and lest we forget Montana where you use to let-r-rip on the interstate in remote locations and be in no jeopardy. Like the bumper sticker says if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch…..of course I talking about race tracks, right?!?!?!

Yes, there are remote locations everywhere but it's not always about law enforcement. I'm talking about the co-efficient of friction of the asphalt, water run off, banking curves, lines of sight, etc. The autobahn is not just a highway with no speed limits, it was designed for high speeds.

Last edited by ckleung100; 04-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Yes, there are remote locations everywhere but it's not always about law enforcement. I'm talking about the co-efficient of friction of the asphalt, water run off, banking curves, lines of sight, etc. The autobahn is not just a highway with no speed limits, it was designed for high speeds.
I've driven all over Germany, and yes their roads are generally better. However, there are plenty of spaces in the US were its just as safe (ignoring the legal aspects and traffic). Water run off, banking, and lines of sight aren't an issue on a clear day on an empty laser-straight road. Mind you, I've done over 100mph in the rain, on pavement with bad drainage, around a bend, with bad sight lights, but since it was on a race track, I guess that's ok. (no video - my camcorder died earlier that day)

Life is about risk management, not risk avoidance.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by cwsqbm; 04-04-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I've driven all over Germany, and yes their roads are generally better. However, there are plenty of spaces in the US were its just as safe (ignoring the legal aspects and traffic). Water run off, banking, and lines of sight aren't an issue on a clear day on an empty laser-straight road.
When you are traveling at 130 mph+, it better be a looooong straight road. You are traveling more than a mile every 30 secs.

Quote:
Mind you, I've done over 100mph in the rain, on pavement with bad drainage, around a bend, with bad sight lights, but since it was on a race track, I guess that's ok. (no video - my camcorder died earlier that day)
That's OK. I believe you. When you are doing over 100mph in the rain, on pavement with bad drainage, around a bend, with bad sight lights, DON'T be ****ing around with a video camera or else you can submit the footage to America's Stupidest Videos. (I don't mean the driving, I mean trying to video tape it while driving. It's fine if you have a stationary mount but how many Youtube videos have you seen with the driver holding onto the camera while driving, even with a manual tranny)

Last edited by ckleung100; 04-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Supporting Member

Having lived in Germany and visited Europe a half of dozen times, I’ve driven all over the UK, Scandinavia, and the continent from Holland and Germany down to Spain Portugal and Italy in a Jeep, Porsche, VW, Gamma Goat, and on a Triumph Bonneville, I have to agree that the Autobahn, to coin a similar phrase, “Is a helluva highway”.

However the US is getting better with their roadways, just like their cars…but to be perfectly honest with you, I’ve driven well into the triple digits in my 18-wheeler over 25 years in just about every state, summer and winter. With that in perspective, it is quite easy to cruise in the triple digits in a much smaller vehicle, designed to perform as such…however I am not saying I do that now…for those who are listening in my home state!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
The main difference between American Interstates and the Autobahn is the thickness of the roadbed. When Hitler envisioned the Autobahn back in the 1930s, his main intent was to use it to transport heavy military convoys, and even to land large military planes on it. With that in mind, he specified that the concrete surface be a full *18 inches* thick, which is several times thicker than a typical American roadway. But, our roads are not exactly wimpy, either....it was the infamous (and long-missing :-) Teamster boss Jimmy Hoffa who approached then-President Eisenhower and convinced him that 18-wheelers were The Future, and if we only had an interconnecting series of good-quality highways, that consumer goods could be delivered faster & cheaper than by railroad.
Given that post-WW II America was exploding outward from the cities into the suburbs, Ike took this concept to heart, and the Interstate highway system was born.....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
...Given that post-WW II America was exploding outward from the cities into the suburbs, Ike took this concept to heart, and the Interstate highway system was born.....
And I'm sure that Jimmy Hoffa is still a "foundation" of the US Interstate Highway system

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM

There's a long stretch of straight smooth highway just before the Canadian border south of Montreal. That's where I hit 130 mph in my '95 325i.

That car felt like it could do 145 mph, had plenty of juice left when it hit the speed limiter.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 5spd
wow
Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
And I'm sure that Jimmy Hoffa is still a "foundation" of the US Interstate Highway system
Yep....when the Teamsters say "Jimmy will always be a cornerstone of this organization", they`re not sh!ttin` you....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Yep....when the Teamsters say "Jimmy will always be a cornerstone of this organization", they`re not sh!ttin` you....
You know that's right.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
When you are traveling at 130 mph+, it better be a looooong straight road. You are traveling more than a mile every 30 secs.
Really? Are you sure? I can run a mile in about 7 minutes, well 9 minutes because I'm a bit out of shape right now. What size tires does your car have?

Come to the American midwest - 4 to 5 mile stretches of perfectly straight road are common, and then the turns have radii measured in miles, so that even at 130+mph they're not signficant.

Quote:
That's OK. I believe you. When you are doing over 100mph in the rain, on pavement with bad drainage, around a bend, with bad sight lights, DON'T be ****ing around with a video camera or else you can submit the footage to America's Stupidest Videos. (I don't mean the driving, I mean trying to video tape it while driving. It's fine if you have a stationary mount but how many Youtube videos have you seen with the driver holding onto the camera while driving, even with a manual tranny)
But I hold onto the camera sooooo well. I bet you can't hold a camera this well.

Same stretch, just on a dry day, and after I bought a new camcorder. The beep at the 5 second mark is an 84mph "warning" set in the OBC. I hit about 120mph before braking. Don't freak out over my reckless activity.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by cwsqbm; 04-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2002 325XI
Mine around 100 and not need more..a fter that i may see the end of it.. .=) Drive Safe people!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
What a ridiculous thread. I expect to read a post from that group of Lambo drivers in Japan that crashed their cars. I think of myself as a very good driver, it's everyone else that I worry about.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
What a ridiculous thread. I expect to read a post from that group of Lambo drivers in Japan that crashed their cars. I think of myself as a very good driver, it's everyone else that I worry about.
Lighten up, Francis.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Lighten up, Francis.
What kind of DB response is that?