Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
What kind of DB response is that?
From the movie Stripes.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
The main difference between American Interstates and the Autobahn is the thickness of the roadbed. When Hitler envisioned the Autobahn back in the 1930s, his main intent was to use it to transport heavy military convoys, and even to land large military planes on it. With that in mind, he specified that the concrete surface be a full *18 inches* thick, which is several times thicker than a typical American roadway. But, our roads are not exactly wimpy, either....it was the infamous (and long-missing :-) Teamster boss Jimmy Hoffa who approached then-President Eisenhower and convinced him that 18-wheelers were The Future, and if we only had an interconnecting series of good-quality highways, that consumer goods could be delivered faster & cheaper than by railroad.
Given that post-WW II America was exploding outward from the cities into the suburbs, Ike took this concept to heart, and the Interstate highway system was born.....
Bimmerfest E46 section, the only E46 forum where you can get history lessons as well as help for your car.

I think we should have a "life lessons by Fast Bob" section.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Bimmerfest E46 section, the only E46 forum where you can get history lessons as well as help for your car.

I think we should have a "life lessons by Fast Bob" section.
Seriously. I just learned something
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
What kind of DB response is that?
You`ve obviously never seen "Stripes"....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
This is one of those threads that is going everywhere and nowhere at the same time....I love it.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: '02 325xi
I love speeding and then asking my passengers how fast I'm going. I was doing 100 and my GF didn't even notice until I asked how fast I was going, then she freaked. haha
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
I love speeding and then asking my passengers how fast I'm going. I was doing 100 and my GF didn't even notice until I asked how fast I was going, then she freaked. haha
Better get a pee-proof cover for that passenger seat, Sparky....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You`ve obviously never seen "Stripes"....

Youngsters. I had to make my wife watch Stripes a few years ago . . . she loved it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
This has nothing to do with this thread. But since everyone seems to be reading it I'll post something funny that happened today. My GF was getting her car smogged and the dudes looked for the invisible distick on a 2007 E90 I also told her there is no dipstick. They didn't believe me and kept looking hahahaha. Finally I told her to have them look at the dash hand use the left lever to change the display settings.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleung100 View Post
+1. Like others who have responded, I've driven a BMW at 120-130 mph on the autobahn while a Ferrari blew by me like I was standing still. The drivers there are much more courteous and I felt safe enough that I had my whole family in the car with me while on vacation. It was really no big deal.

There are NO public highways anywhere in North America that I would consider doing the same. The fastest I would go is 90 mph. The road surface just isn't designed for those speeds even if the road is clear. One little slip of the tires or a piece of tire retread that the damn trucks are always dropping and you will be sliding off the road.

This just happened very close to where I live yesterday. Some drunk teenager was going an estimated 90 mph on the city streets at 2 am. Killed his passenger but miraculously, he was ok. He will be sitting in jail for a long time if there is any justice. The other half of the car is across the street with thousands of pieces scattered everywhere.

Funny you mention getting passed by a Ferrari. (For those that have heard this story before, I promise this is the last time I will break it out! Please skip post.) I was in the left hand lane between Pforzheim and Muhlacker (Umlaut over "u". Can't find it on a mac i'm using) I was driving my Cousins Turbo Carrera which had just come out the year before. This was in 1982, or 1983. It had the whale tail, and was fast as heck. I was cruising at around 100, and just starting to feel comfortable, when he suggested that I really open it up. I reluctantly made my way up to 150 after significant prodding, and was feeling pretty smug in the left hand lane doing 150 and passing people in the right hand lane, when my cousin strongly suggested that I move to the right. I immediately complied, and around 15 seconds later, I was passed by a Ferrari doing at least 180. Humbling to say the least. They drive those speeds for sometimes an hour. I had a hard time after 10 minutes. I never really thought about it, but Bob's explanation about the road bed explains why it was as flat as a pool table.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Seriously. I just learned something
That Bob likes a thick bed?

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 04-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Funny you mention getting passed by a Ferrari. (For those that have heard this story before, I promise this is the last time I will break it out! Please skip post.) I was in the left hand lane between Pforzheim and Muhlacker (Umlaut over "u". Can't find it on a mac i'm using) I was driving my Cousins Turbo Carrera which had just come out the year before. This was in 1982, or 1983. It had the whale tail, and was fast as heck. I was cruising at around 100, and just starting to feel comfortable, when he suggested that I really open it up. I reluctantly made my way up to 150 after significant prodding, and was feeling pretty smug in the left hand lane doing 150 and passing people in the right hand lane, when my cousin strongly suggested that I move to the right. I immediately complied, and around 15 seconds later, I was passed by a Ferrari doing at least 180. Humbling to say the least. They drive those speeds for sometimes an hour. I had a hard time after 10 minutes. I never really thought about it, but Bob's explanation about the road bed explains why it was as flat as a pool table.
Probably right around the same time frame as your story, I heard that the T.U.V. (Germany`s Safety Nazis for all things automotive) specified that a specific formulation of asphalt be used for paving the Autobahn, giving improved grip in the wet.
(If only NHTSA was so thoughtful.... )

Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Youngsters. I had to make my wife watch Stripes a few years ago . . . she loved it.
I knew the reference, I just wanted to make the point that it was a DB response. I'll bet that I'm older than you.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
What a ridiculous thread. I expect to read a post from that group of Lambo drivers in Japan that crashed their cars. I think of myself as a very good driver, it's everyone else that I worry about.
Quote:
I knew the reference, I just wanted to make the point that it was a DB response. I'll bet that I'm older than you.
Why are you still posting in this ridiculous thread?

Lighten up, Francis.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
You made it personal and I'm not going to go away because you quote some thirty year old movie. You're acting like some sixteen year old that just bought their first car.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM
The Dude abides.

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
What a great thread, next thing you know someone is going to ask what oil to use.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330xi Sport
Or what they could do to make their cars sooo much faster

Creator and Developer of the "E46 Fix" app

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBimmer92 View Post
Or what they could do to make their cars sooo much faster
C'mon this thread is still too interesting to go down that path.....all kinds of side info being tossed around.

I would go faster if my tires weren't jet f0ckin black!!

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_T View Post
This is one of those threads that is going everywhere and nowhere at the same time....I love it.
I thought it would make your head hurt...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 330ci
I went to about 115 mph at 3am one night on the local beltway. Another time I went 100 - 105 going through rural Pensylvenia. That's based on the speedometer - but my spedometer is pretty much right on the money, my navigation system confirms my speed to about 1mph (the speedometer, I believe, is designed to show 1mph over the actual speed).

The interstate highway system was built primarily for millitary reasons, not because Hoffa wanted it that way. During WW II the Pentagon was expecting a Japanese invasion in Alaska, so they end up building the Alaska hightway - which stretches something close to 2000 miles from the US border, through Canada and all the way to Fairbanks AK. There was a great rush to build it, but the invasion never came. Nevertheless, when the war was over, the powers to be decided that better roads are needed for the defence of the country. That's mostly why they built the "National System of Interstate and Defense Highways" (the official name of the Interstate system).

Last edited by ventsyv; 04-05-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
You made it personal and I'm not going to go away because you quote some thirty year old movie. You're acting like some sixteen year old that just bought their first car.
It's not personal unless your name is Francis.

Not sure why this thread offends you. I find it quite entertaining.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventsyv View Post
The interstate highway system was built primarily for millitary reasons, not because Hoffa wanted it that way. During WW II the Pentagon was expecting a Japanese invasion in Alaska, so they end up building the Alaska hightway - which stretches something close to 2000 miles from the US border, through Canada and all the way to Fairbanks AK. There was a great rush to build it, but the invasion never came.
Great stuff! I think Japan did invade Alaska though.

Is the highway smooth or potholed?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 AM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330xi Sport
During World War II, two of the outer Aleutian Islands-Attu and Kiska-were invaded and occupied by Japanese troops. They were the only part of the continental territory of the United States to be occupied by the enemy during the war.

Creator and Developer of the "E46 Fix" app

Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: '02 325xi
^Thank you for giving me something to research on wiki today.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Great stuff! I think Japan did invade Alaska though.

Is the highway smooth or potholed?
The Al-Can Highway has miles and miles of unpaved gravel. And also some pavement.

The other day I was on some good twisties and I didn't look at the speedo, but I'm pretty sure I was "going like h*ll." That's pretty fast, right ?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"