Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
The other box is the control module for your automatic transmission. Hopefully that didn't get flooded too!
I'd flush it using the same procedure I outlined above and then dry it out too.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
The TCU shouldn't cause a no spark scenario though.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 PM
The Canadian Prick.

OP, do you know anyone local to you with a similar car that you could try their DME?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 94 325i
That would explain why the trans light is flashing on the dash... I will pull that unit now and clean/dry it as well.

No check engine light and no spark. Dme looks clean doesnt appear to have damage BUT it was wet and i was trying to start it in the car wash parking lot right after it got wet.

Very unfortunately i do not know anyone around here that could help me test another dme unit /:

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Bimmer App
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mike aka Progress lives in OR. IIRC he's in Portland. He has a shop called Euro Edge, but they don't advertise much. I know he was working slowly on getting it net based, but I haven't heard from him in some time. Maybe try looking him up?

He's got an AA boosted Cosmos 328.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:45 PM
WayTooFastWhitey

Mein Auto: Dinan BMW M3 e36
Makes me weary to drive thru a car wash, I usually use the stalls and bring my own microfiber sponge and soap with me (along with a whole bag of other cleaning polishing agents), going to check my vents now but I'm pretty sure they are clean....

At least your key isn't chipped or you would have to find a red label or go to the stealership
eBay is prob your best cheapest way to go, make sure you get the exact same one

Last edited by DinanM3e36; 04-07-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: e36 325i
If you open the DME, dry it and you still get the same, you may need a new one (I got mine for $85 on eBay). I got similar results when mine got wet and corroded. It killed me figuring it out, and I took everything apart troubleshooting it. When I tested for spark using a screwdriver and then a real spark tester, I got nothing. When I tested with started fluid (bypassing the MAF), it backfired and popped, so i knew I had spark, but no gas. FYI, if you do the starter fluid test and it backfires, bear in mind that it will blow off your vacuum lines under the intake manifold, so when you do get it working, it will run like hell until you put it back. Do you hear the fuel pump spool up when you turn the key? it's a pretty distinct sound from under your rear seat, so if you really hear it, it's not really running (I still had fuel pressure in the lines for some reason though). I never in a million years would have blamed the DME, but it really was.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: 92 BMW 325is
where is this dme located? and where are the cowls that i need to clean out?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Look at the photo fig 2 in the DIY to see the cowl drain. DME compartment is above and to the left (not shown in the fig 2 photo).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...DME-Repair.htm