Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: e28 1987 535i M Spec
M series 3 spoke wheel

G'day BEEMERS,

Big question need answering please....... How do I remove the steering wheel (3 spoke) from the column as I thought there might have been 3 screws but don't seem to be at all... Need to remove wheel to get at the column casing and also how to split the casing to get at that DAMN STUCK COLUMN ADJUSTER........

Many thanks for your advice and time

Stephen

1987 535i M spec
Ads by Google
Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Pry up the center cover with a screwdriver and there should be a large nut and washer under it that secure the wheel to shaft. Remove the large nut and you should be able to pull the steering wheel straight off the column.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
catso

One other thing: on 1986 and later models, after you remove the nut, you will need to insert the ignition key into the ignition switch and turn it to the first position to unlock the ignition lock. Do not switch on the ignition.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Thanks PLENTY to CATSO ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was waiting on a reply as I am trying to get access to the column adjust lever which at closer look is stuck behind the column casing....... DAMN NAZI CARS....... I know they are quality but to make it near almost impossible to get at is the problem...... either it has been like this since new or was botched by a previous person.....

AGAIN

MANY MANY THANKS

Stephen
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM

To CATSO or any that can shed some light

I just managed to get the DAMN wheel of the column and eventually finding all those BLOODY screws holding the column casing together to realize some previous NUCK PHUCKLE botched the job big time and put the adjustor lever fully up before placing the casing back into place and all screws back......(what a DEEKHEAD)..... anyway the lever now is adjustable and yet the column does not....... jamming up I be guessing but do not know what to do from here as I do not want to damage the car seeing that it is 25 years old and a classic and the rarity of this model here in AUSTRALIA....... know of 2 so far..... mine and a mates DAMAGED one...... If the situation arises I will be forced to part ways with this as the body is aging and the gut expanding.... getting in the car is tighter and tighter...... DAMN HERNIA is pissing me off.............. any help on the stupid column is helpful......

Thanks DUDES!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by thexpbogger View Post
I just managed to get the DAMN wheel of the column and eventually finding all those BLOODY screws holding the column casing together to realize some previous NUCK PHUCKLE botched the job big time and put the adjustor lever fully up before placing the casing back into place and all screws back......(what a DEEKHEAD)..... anyway the lever now is adjustable and yet the column does not....... jamming up I be guessing but do not know what to do from here as I do not want to damage the car seeing that it is 25 years old and a classic and the rarity of this model here in AUSTRALIA....... know of 2 so far..... mine and a mates DAMAGED one...... If the situation arises I will be forced to part ways with this as the body is aging and the gut expanding.... getting in the car is tighter and tighter...... DAMN HERNIA is pissing me off.............. any help on the stupid column is helpful......

Thanks DUDES!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen
If your column is the same as a regular E28 you could buy one here in the States and have it shipped. It really wouldn't be too terribly expensive and would solve your problem. Contact member "south26" (Andy) I'm pretty sure he has one or could tell you where to find one.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM

Not exactly the news I was expecting to read!!!!!!!!! is their a possibility that I can use some method of lubricating the mechanism within the column assembly or some muscle to free up..... I read somewhere (here possibly or another site) that the column has a tendency to jam and can be freed up.............. I hope I read right or been misled into thinking it was for the E28 model!!!!!!!

Thanks

Stephen