Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
Chris, great work (again) finding out info for us d owners! I really want to learn as much as possible about the EGR bypass, as this sounds like a mod that we really need to consider if we plan to keep the car past the warranty period.
Just trying to help a brotha out!

We need to nudge the whole IC thing along again. I have reached out to the guys in the UK to see if anyone installed an aftermarket IC, w/no such luck. Looks like we US guys will have to figure out a way to tackle this one ourselves. I may have to suck it up and head up to HPF. Maybe that forum member that wanted to pay for Ronin to insall IC will be just as eager to pay for the HPF?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I am not sure what you mean by the EGR being before the turbo. But also to be honest I am not sure how the specifics of the EGR system on our BMWs work. I know on my truck the way the layout is done caused for extreme gas temps and they have to use an EGR coolers. Now if those coolers are typical for all modern diesels is beyond my knowledge. I just really regret not doing an EGR bypass on my truck way back when my original cooler failed then I could avoide much later on the clogged up intake from a failed EGR.
I assuming that the Exhaust gas is put back in the fresh air stream, before the turbo compresses it so that the boost didn't work against the exhaust entering the fresh air.

I was wrong though, I just looked at my truck and the exhaust comes back in post intercooler and directly into the intake manifold. I guess probably because the EGR is more heavily used during idle/warm up when the engine isn't being worked hard.

So ignore my comment on the crud effecting the turbos...

Diesel exhaust is extremely hot with or without EGR the cooler would be needed no matter the plumbing. All modern diesels have them. The 6.0 PSD was the worst culprit for failure though, and it usually led to blown gaskets/failed injectors/etc. The best mod for most and especially a 6.0L is to delete EGR.

This of course is assuming you don't care about the environment and have no need to smog now or later on down the line

Jay
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Diesel exhaust is extremely hot with or without EGR the cooler would be needed no matter the plumbing.
I was referencing the EGR cooler specifically and that is not needed if you bypass the EGR valve. It is a common mod to trucks like mine to do an EGR Cooler bypass and EGR bypass at the same time but as I understand it, programming is required. So I'd not be surprised if programming is needed on the BMW if the EGR also is bypassed given that the BMW is far more complex a vehicle.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Speed Demon

Mein Auto: '10 335d E90
With 66k on my car, I think I'm a prime candidate for the EGR bypass. What do you guys think?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
With 66k on my car, I think I'm a prime candidate for the EGR bypass. What do you guys think?
Or at least to pull it out and clean the thing.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Will you be using the ebay one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E61-...em256f5480d3)? You think it will need programing?

Last edited by wanderlust; 04-12-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Uh o, I think my X5 has 2 egr systems.... Although one may be able to turn off with just a coolant sensor reading. Notice temp sensor #1 in picture 3. The Last pic appears to be how the system works for 3 series
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	320800   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	320801   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	320802   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	320803  

Last edited by wanderlust; 04-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 PM

Looks like we will be getting some feedback on the bypass from a fellow 335d owner in the UK.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post11743749
Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 PM

And before anyone runs off to buy this ebay egr bypass, I contacted the seller and he just responded saying he doesn't have the one for the 335d, despite the listing states it's for the 335d. I e-mailed him back for clarification.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM

in all honesty it does not seem like ebay seller speaks english well

powered by lemings
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
EGR/Cylinder head problem

I too am dealing with an EGR/cylinder head replacement ordeal with what used to be VOB bmw in Rockville, md. They've had my car for almost a month now. So far they've reinstalled the ecu software, replaced cylinder #2, EGR valve, and now they tell me it is throwing a code for cyliner #4. The 2010 335d has 44K miles and I'm worried this could be a continual and very expensive issues once it goes out of warranty. Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM

What does it mean to replace cylinder #2?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM

It's beginning to sound like the engineers at BMW have (had) a flawed approach to feeding our engines with the EGR. Unfortunately, when I read the description of the complicated EGR system (does BMW know any other way?) that they put on our engines, I'm concerned that we might not be able to install a simple bypass.

I hope we can figure this one out - I have been planning to keep the car, and this issue is, to me, very worrisome.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojk995 View Post
I too am dealing with an EGR/cylinder head replacement ordeal with what used to be VOB bmw in Rockville, md. They've had my car for almost a month now. So far they've reinstalled the ecu software, replaced cylinder #2, EGR valve, and now they tell me it is throwing a code for cyliner #4. The 2010 335d has 44K miles and I'm worried this could be a continual and very expensive issues once it goes out of warranty. Any thoughts?
This is almost the exact sequence of events for my car also. Still at the dealership as the head took 2 weeks to get here from Germany. I'll keep everyone updated but certainly concerning that I am not the only one...

Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
What does it mean to replace cylinder #2?
sorry, meant cylinder head #2. I'm really concerned that if they replace the #4 cylinder head, then it will say there is a misfire on #6, if that is the sequence.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Wow another one.... Look at the bright side, just be thankful its not VOB anymore. I too go to this dealer for service so will be interested to hear your thoughts on your service experiencr under new ownership.

What was the code your car through for the cylindar head?

Goog luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post

I hope we can figure this one out - I have been planning to keep the car, and this issue is, to me, very worrisome.
I agree.....
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
sorry, meant cylinder head #2. I'm really concerned that if they replace the #4 cylinder head, then it will say there is a misfire on #6, if that is the sequence.
I am still confused because the car only has one cylinder head, not six of them. Unless I just have been grossly misinformed.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I am still confused because the car only has one cylinder head, not six of them. Unless I just have been grossly misinformed.
No you are correct, just one head. Maybe he meant injector?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM

BTW has any 2011 had this issue yet, Im scared myself since I have the RENNtech flash!!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 AM

Soot buildup on EGR and Head

Finally, after 32 days, got my 2010 335d back from dealer. They basically replaced the cylinder head, EGR, and DDE(not sure what that is), as well as most of the sensors. What scares the hell out of me is that the SA told me when I picked up the car that the labor alone, if not under warranty, would have been $14,000!! I have 45K miles on the car. He also said the only explanation for the buildup is that I'm not driving the car hard enough.
What can I do? I love the car. For me, it's the perfect combo. of power, handling, and economy. Having said that, I can't rationalize keeping it if I'm going to have to have the whole engine de-gunked every 40K miles. What do you all think about this???
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Finally, after 32 days, got my 2010 335d back from dealer. They basically replaced the cylinder head, EGR, and DDE(not sure what that is), as well as most of the sensors. What scares the hell out of me is that the SA told me when I picked up the car that the labor alone, if not under warranty, would have been $14,000!! I have 45K miles on the car. He also said the only explanation for the buildup is that I'm not driving the car hard enough.
What can I do? I love the car. For me, it's the perfect combo. of power, handling, and economy. Having said that, I can't rationalize keeping it if I'm going to have to have the whole engine de-gunked every 40K miles. What do you all think about this???
I got mine back yesterday also. Same parts replaced as you (Cylinder head, head gasket, EGR Valve, DDE (it is part of the computer that throws the SES lights). My SA told me 9k in parts, probably 5k in labor. Extended warranty time.....mine is at 41k miles.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:21 AM

I say BS to the reason being not driving it hard enough. Do not know why but everytime I hear a person given that reason for any car, I cringe. I have heard that reason given from anything to a simple gas powered Bug all te way up to high end AMGs.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
I got mine back yesterday also. Same parts replaced as you (Cylinder head, head gasket, EGR Valve, DDE (it is part of the computer that throws the SES lights). My SA told me 9k in parts, probably 5k in labor. Extended warranty time.....mine is at 41k miles.
More on the DDE:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ectronics.html

My SA did say that they thought the DDE was the underlying issue and the updated DDE should resolve it. We will see though...who the hell knows.