Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Catalytic Converter Replacement

About 400 miles ago I replaced the catalytic converters on my 97 740il. It was showing codes 0420 and 0430. I ordered Magnaflow 94134 cats from Amazon (their system said they were the ones that were compatible with my car). I had them replaced, as well as the downstream O2's. Every since the replacement, I get the same OBDII codes every 130-150 miles. The car is running fine and my mileage is fine. Could it be reasonable possible to believe that I got sent 2 bad catalytic converters, or is there something that I'm missing?
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 740iL
I have the same exact problem. After spending bunch of money on converters, installation, o2 sensors I still got CEL. Even with non-foulers installed. I live in Illinois so I never actually thought about this possibility but yesterday, after my final attempt to solve this problem I realized something....my car has California emissions!!! Check this on your car. Pup up your hood and on the strut post (driver's side) there is a tag. It should say if it's California compliant. If not...install spark plug non-foulers under your rear O2's...

It's kind of depressing because technically now my car is state legal when it comes to amount of emissions but still won't pass them because of CEL!

Here's the link : http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/702718
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM

I may have to do that. I spent the money for the compatible cats, and I hate seeing a CEL about something that I paid good money to fix. I can shut the light down, but in about 150 miles it will come back on.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Just checked the tag on the shock tower and mine is also California Compliant!! I don't know what to do at this point.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Just checked the tag on the shock tower and mine is also California Compliant!! I don't know what to do at this point.

I'm in the same situation. I will be trying to extend spark plug non-foulers as I welded them at an angle so I still have some room left.

Maybe this works: It's $250 a piece but it says it's 50-state legal. This will be my last resort if I won't be able to pass emissions. If I knew, I'd buy it in the first place because I already spent close to $500 for parts and labor dealing with this issue!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catalytic-Co...ht_4799wt_1139