Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Navigation Screen Went Blank

When I started my 2012 535i up this evening (all of three weeks old) in the commuter parking lot, the nav screen was a brownish color then it went dark. Everything else was working fine. I drove a ways, parked the car and turned it off. Waited a minute, turned car back on. Nav screen still dark, so I drove home, put car in garage, turned it all off and went into the house. For whatever reason, after about 10-15 minutes I decided to go out and start the car to see what would happen. Lo and behold, when I started the car up, the BMW flash showed up on the nav screen and after booting up the nav screen was fully functioning. Just to make sure it was really working, I shut the car down, restarted it, and the nav screen was working fine, and showed the screen that was up when I turned the car off (a split of xm and the map).

Chalk it up to quirky electronics? Should I take it into the dealership, or just leave well enough alone until it happens again, if it happens again.

I have owned 4 cars with navigation based media functions (non BMWs) and have never had this happen. I vote for leave well enough alone and pretend it didn't happen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I checked the thread of consolidated f10 issues and didn't see anything that looked like this. I didn't do an exhaustive search though, so if this is a known issue, I apologize.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: Future: F80 M3
I heard this many times on this forum ... I personally wouldn't let the dealers touch until unless it is really a issue I learned it in a hard way so wait.., until it really becomes a issue...
Unlike mechanical issues i don't think we have to fix these electronics on the first occurrence..,
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
I heard this many times on this forum ... I personally wouldn't let the dealers touch until unless it is really a issue I learned it in a hard way so wait.., until it really becomes a issue...
Unlike mechanical issues i don't think we have to fix these electronics on the first occurrence..,
That's my inclination. Thanks! But it was weird, as all the functions were working...you just couldn't see anything. But, I just took a quick spin and everything is a ok..still.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
My nav on my 545i has either gone blank or frozen probably 7 or 8 times over the years, yet always resolved after a few minutes. Each time I wonder if this it, the real failure but so far so good.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: Future: F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
That's my inclination. Thanks! But it was weird, as all the functions were working...you just couldn't see anything. But, I just took a quick spin and everything is a ok..still.
Well these systems are way too complex than we think they are.., and it is increasing exponentially ... So **** happens ...
May be its just like phone freeze or a laptop freeze ...
Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
The reason that it didn't reset when you turned the car off and on the first time is that the car didn't sleep. I would have tried getting out of the car and locking it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The reason that it didn't reset when you turned the car off and on the first time is that the car didn't sleep. I would have tried getting out of the car and locking it.
I actually did try that the first time. But I guess I didn't wait long enough before unlocking it and starting it up. Hopefully when I go out to car to go to work (in about a half hour), everything will be fine.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
It's a computer ...... will inexplicably require rebooting from time to time ...... software updates will fix / will complex the issue

My 2001 E38 would come up blank on occasion, so would the 2008 E60. Never a screen of death, always came back up after a restart.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
I've had a few gremlins like that on mine. Occasionally it takes longer to start up, or a couple of times it has been blank like yours did. Always resolves itself by turning it off and back on though.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i MSport
My wife drives a 2011 528i. She had her screen turn brownish orange and then turn off. The radio also turned off. The system rebooted itself in a few minutes and worked again. After this happened several times, the dealership replaced the nav screen. Two weeks later it did it again. This time they replaced the computer. That was two weeks ago and it has worked so far.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
My nav went haywire about a week ago. The screen didn't go blank, it just showed me in a completely wrong position, and heading in a completely wrong direction. I was hoping it would eventually find itself, but after 4 days of this I gave up and took her to the dealership.I'm hoping to get her back tomorrow.

2012 535i
Space Gray / Black Dakota / Anthracite
Premium - Premium Sound - Tech - Cameras - Active Cruise
Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoey12 View Post
My wife drives a 2011 528i. She had her screen turn brownish orange and then turn off. The radio also turned off. The system rebooted itself in a few minutes and worked again. After this happened several times, the dealership replaced the nav screen. Two weeks later it did it again. This time they replaced the computer. That was two weeks ago and it has worked so far.
This is kinda what happened to mine except radio continued to work.

So far so good today.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D M-Sport
If ever you need to reboot the nav system (if it's gone nuts or is unresponsive), press and hold the volume button for 30 seconds - this gives it a hard reboot.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
If ever you need to reboot the nav system (if it's gone nuts or is unresponsive), press and hold the volume button for 30 seconds - this gives it a hard reboot.
Excellent information to have. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi
"like a laptop freeze"....I hope the Active Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go won't freeze!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 550 i
It happened to me about two months ago as well. Brown (actually black with fine orange stripes) and then black. The radio was still working. I drove home, and the following day it came back. The dealer could not replicate or find out the issue. It hasn't happened since.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Well, it happened to me today. Started the car. Nav screen went orange color for 5 seconds, then totally black... The cd/radio still worked. I drove for 4 miles, parked and turned off. Restarted....still black screen. I locked it, went away. Called dealer and made an appointment to bring in it today just in case. Then saw this thread....Will try to reboot it in a hour or so, hopefully it will resolve itself like it did for others. If not, will take her in today as scheduled. Weird....I'll keep you guys updated.

UPDATE: as others stated, the computer apparently reset itself, and when I returned to my cr, the nav display was up and running. It's been 2 days now with no (knock-knock) issues.

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod

Last edited by gr8nrg; 07-11-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Honda Accord
My screen just turned black right now also. I have about 3700 miles on my 2012 535i and as i started my car, the screen was like a gold brownish color as seen in the pictures then about 5-7 seconds later, it turned black. I turned off the car then back on. Still from gold to black. Drove it home for about 20mins then turned off the car, let it rest for about 2mins, tried turning it back on and still black. As the previous people said, all the functions still worked as i was using my iphone to play music via bluetooth and my parking sensors were still working as i pressed the button and made the beeping noise as i was parking in the garage.

I guess ill give it a rest and test it out tomorrow morning, hopefully it'll work. If not, ill try the hard reboot by holding down the voluming button for 30 seconds. If that doesn't work, i'll be making the call to my dealer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gold screen.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	333356

Click image for larger version

Name:	black screen.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	333357
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann CF Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust System | M5 Rear Diffuser | Painted Calipers, Reflectors & Black Gloss Grill | FormulaOne Pinnacle Series Tint | Born on 1/30/12

Gre8tW8LL
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: X5
The NAV Screen (the entire screen) goes black from time to time. It is the back light that goes off. If you point a flash light at it, you can see all the options. You can navigate between communication, navigation, entertainment etc. Everything is there and working normally. Just that the screen is dark and you cannot see it unless you put a light on it. It is like a shadow of its original self.
I drive a 2007. This first happened a couple of years back and then it stopped. When I brought it to the attention of the dealership, they blamed it on cold weather and told me that there was nothing to be done. This Dec and Jan it was happening a lot. Now the dealership tells me, it probably needs to be replaced. But it is a $2500-$3000 part, and since my factory warranty is over, and we are on extended warranty now, it is not covered.
Dealerships don't tweak with the electronic - like in the case of a laptop. They replace the screen.
This is a LCD screen and if the LCD screen doesn't get the right signals for some reason, the back light won't turn on.
My fix has been a re-boot as well. You don't need to drive your car around. Just stop the engine, take your key out, give it 60 seconds and start the car again. If it doesn't work the first time, try it 2-3 times. It works eventually.
This is a defect with BMW's that they do not acknowledge. Other car brands do not have this issue. And when you talk to the dealership, they will look at you as if this is the first time they have heard of this problem. I am frustrated because now I might have to pay for a replacement.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggo16 View Post
"like a laptop freeze"....I hope the Active Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go won't freeze!!!
This is exactly why I would never ever trust this kind of technology!

Piotr

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Wrong post...
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Wrong post...
Do you mean mine? Why is it wrong exactly?

Regards

Piotr

Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 335ix
Nav screen backlight

I bought a used 2009 335 x drive in July 2012 and the backlight issue just cropped up this month (Sept 2013). Only happens in the morning, persists on and off for a few minutes, then returns to normal operation. Later in the day when I drive home from work, no problem, just the first drive of the day. Any new thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobees View Post
The NAV Screen (the entire screen) goes black from time to time. It is the back light that goes off. If you point a flash light at it, you can see all the options. You can navigate between communication, navigation, entertainment etc. Everything is there and working normally. Just that the screen is dark and you cannot see it unless you put a light on it. It is like a shadow of its original self.
I drive a 2007. This first happened a couple of years back and then it stopped. When I brought it to the attention of the dealership, they blamed it on cold weather and told me that there was nothing to be done. This Dec and Jan it was happening a lot. Now the dealership tells me, it probably needs to be replaced. But it is a $2500-$3000 part, and since my factory warranty is over, and we are on extended warranty now, it is not covered.
Dealerships don't tweak with the electronic - like in the case of a laptop. They replace the screen.
This is a LCD screen and if the LCD screen doesn't get the right signals for some reason, the back light won't turn on.
My fix has been a re-boot as well. You don't need to drive your car around. Just stop the engine, take your key out, give it 60 seconds and start the car again. If it doesn't work the first time, try it 2-3 times. It works eventually.
This is a defect with BMW's that they do not acknowledge. Other car brands do not have this issue. And when you talk to the dealership, they will look at you as if this is the first time they have heard of this problem. I am frustrated because now I might have to pay for a replacement.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Nav intermittent backlight

I have a 2008 328i, I had the same problem of intermittent LCD backlight, until I went over a pothole and not it is always off. As everyone knows a brand new unit is over $2000 so I tried to get it replaced by purchasing an LCD from sellers of this type. I purchased an LCD from a chinese outfit in Hong Kong but that did not work, I then found a fellow in New Jersey and talked to him on the phone, so he sent me the LCD and the driver, but that behaved like my original unit also showing data but no backlight. So the problem is not the LCD or the Nav unit but it seems to be the power going to the unit. I have not figured out the problem yet. But I just want to let you know so you do not waste money on a new Nav or LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobees View Post
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
I have a 2004 5451 - The screen has always given me problems when first started. I push radio volume, CD eject and DVD eject. It reboots the computer and works within seconds always. I approached the dealer when it was under warrantee and he had no clue. I told him about the reboot. Otherwise no problem. I am reading all the posts as I want to upgrade to a 2011 550. Seems similar problems.