Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I toyed with tint, and have been reading. 3M has a fairly new one that is made up of over 200 layers of ceramic components...has essentially the same IR and UV ratings as some of the quite dark films, and since it has no metalic layers, doesn't affect cellphone, radar, or things like electronic toll devices. It achieves this even with it's 10% film (90% visible light transmission), making it legal for any window in any municipality. Hassle is, the nearest authorized installer is a long ways from where I live. Will keep reading and checking reviews.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Gran Turismo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
Will you get any tint on the fronts?
No. Here in Cali, to be legal, any tint on the front windows has to be factory installed. I'll deal with just the rear for now...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Thumbs up Window Tint

Your tint job gives the vehicle a great new look. Too bad you can't have any tint at all added to the front ones.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I like the gt alot but got a m sport 535i sedan instead. Is it true that they aren't selling that well and if so why not? They are nice cars.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
They are not advertised all that much and there aren't many of them sitting on the dealers' lots. Indeed, I knew nothing about them until the salesman who contacted me pointed out why he thought it would appeal to me, which it did.

That said, while your M Sport 535 is no doubt a great car, I wanted something more than a car. The GT is by design, a vehicle that is different. The seats are situated higher than a car (but a bit lower than a full SUV) and with the two-way trunk/hatch at the rear with the cargo space that results from folding down the seats is a capability that I valued when I owned an SUV. Yet, the vehicle does not look like a station wagon or an SUV. The design balance of the GT's features appealed to me as an engineer and the chance to get a year-old one with only 2000 miles on it at a price very close to a loaded X3 (which I had initially targeted as the BMW for me) was too good to pass up. I drove both vehicles and there is no comparison in ride and luxury. Almost all negative comments are aimed at how it looks but the GT meets its design intent very well and I enjoy each time I am driving it. I get the same vibe from the others who post on this 5 Series F07 forum.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
For all the reasons mentioned by Fish23 is probably why I did not get the GT. The low sale numbers and the fact that it seems to be a niche vehicle (although very very nice) is why I was a little concerned that they will stop making them or go into a different direction. It wouldnt sit well with me to spend close to 60k and then have a discontinued model. Please do not flood me with hate PM's again...I like them alot and I was very close to buying one but I got what I thought was a better deal on a brand new 2012 m sport. I guess I am just a chicken...I went with safe choice.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
For all the reasons mentioned by Fish23 is probably why I did not get the GT. The low sale numbers and the fact that it seems to be a niche vehicle (although very very nice) is why I was a little concerned that they will stop making them or go into a different direction. It wouldnt sit well with me to spend close to 60k and then have a discontinued model. Please do not flood me with hate PM's again...I like them alot and I was very close to buying one but I got what I thought was a better deal on a brand new 2012 m sport. I guess I am just a chicken...I went with safe choice.
Congrats on you m sport and you won't get hate PM's from me Fish23 was right on the mark in his explaination of the GT's attraction. Once I saw it in person for the first time it appealled to me (a sales person left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I ended up with an Acura ZDX). But once I sat in it and drove it, as long as I got a good deal, it was going to be mine. I got the deal and you've asw the pics above..... and LOL you're not chicken, you just got the car you wanted. In 2016, when your ready to switch cars again, you can buy the 2017 GT
Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
How do you like the DH Pkg.....can you really tell the difference ?....Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevee View Post
How do you like the DH Pkg.....can you really tell the difference ?....Thanks
I really don't have anything to compare it with since I didn't test drive one without it. All I can say is that it handles very well.