Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: New Orleans
Question Plasti Dip on Plastic Components

Hey everyone, I'm eager to get an opinion from the experts on this forum before I attempt something (with a very captable friend).

The grill inserts on my e39 (2003 BMW 530i) are looking a tired. The light chrome on the inserts has gotten dull and I'm considering plasti-dipping them to be black (since they are so dull). *Not planning to plasti-dip the chrome on the kidneys, just the inserts! It looks good on a 3 series but not an e39!

Also, the plastic on my bumper is beginning to look tired as well near the foglamps. Any thoughts?

Lastly, the rubber sealing around my doors and the plastic in the windshield wiper area is beginning to look tired as well. This is ALL a result of the southern heat in Dallas TX.

My friend is very capable of plasti-dipping. He put FIVE coats on his rims (Toyota 4 runner) and two coats of clear-coat that have held up extraordinarily well in the southern heat, and he also off roads quite frequently.

Just eager for an opinion. I'm happy to post before/after pics and a checklist.

best,

geaux9
Ads by Google
Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux9 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm eager to get an opinion from the experts on this forum before I attempt something (with a very captable friend).

The grill inserts on my e39 (2003 BMW 530i) are looking a tired. The light chrome on the inserts has gotten dull and I'm considering plasti-dipping them to be black (since they are so dull). *Not planning to plasti-dip the chrome on the kidneys, just the inserts! It looks good on a 3 series but not an e39!

Also, the plastic on my bumper is beginning to look tired as well near the foglamps. Any thoughts?

Lastly, the rubber sealing around my doors and the plastic in the windshield wiper area is beginning to look tired as well. This is ALL a result of the southern heat in Dallas TX.

My friend is very capable of plasti-dipping. He put FIVE coats on his rims (Toyota 4 runner) and two coats of clear-coat that have held up extraordinarily well in the southern heat, and he also off roads quite frequently.

best,

geaux9
Trying to understand here:
So you are thinking of touching up (1) and not (2)
Click image for larger version

Name:	kidneygrill.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	320000

It would be relatively easy to plasti-dip either of those pieces.
Do you have any pics of your car?

I recently plasti-dipped my bumper trim and I am quite pleased with the product:
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0021.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	320001

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Why not.. .platidip is great. I have my Air Intake and Power Steering reservoir coated in Plasti Dip... It holds up fine to some heat. Not sure Valve Covers would hold up, but everything else seems to be ok.

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

2003 530iA - Mumbo Jumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 5/2000 BMW 540i M-Sport
It's an old thread, but I def want to plasti dip my trim. I've been using different products "Back to Black" "Black Chrome" etc but thought I'd give plasti dip a try. Was curious how well it holds up - I'd just do several coats of plasti dip, no top coats or anything else.

Also concerned I'll go crazy if it works well
I've seen several dudes go overboard after doing one plasti dip project, to where there entire car was just about dipped lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Plasti dip works on near anything. As far as durability, I have had my front kidney grilles painted for over 4 years now with absolutely no damage. I also painted my flyrod case. It is amazing stuff.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM

Sold. Been doing some more Internet research and someone hit all their trim around the windows (pillars too) and it looked clean. I'll post pics if I'm not embarrassed by the results.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: Oxford Green 2003 530i
I had planned on using the tape for the window trim but I am going to do the plasti dip route (nice DYI: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6163106). My bimmer does not have a sports package so the side and bumper trim are both same color as car so I am thinking about plasti dipping those as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
I used it on e34 black molding looks great.
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM

I PlastiDipped my trim, so far so good. So I dipped my license plate frames. And my stock wheels. I'll try it out on the kidneys and the window pillars next. I originally painted my Borbet 'winter wheels' gun metal grey but I like the black dipped stock wheels better.

http://instagram.com/p/bB4i6UqHh3/

http://instagram.com/p/bB38z3KHgp/

http://instagram.com/p/bB4u14KHiM/

http://instagram.com/p/bB4WnZqHhi/

http://instagram.com/p/bB5MxpqHi-/

Oh jeez. I'm at work and lost track of what photos I posted... TBC
Oh jeez again I dunno how to make Instagram images immediately viewable. It's either links or blank boxes guys. Sorry

Last edited by RPW44; 06-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM
bimmerphile

Mein Auto: e39
Plasti-dip is pretty freakin incredible; I want to do the metallic anthricite to all the chrome on mine. What's more incredible is the entire "dip your car" kit. They have a wicked satin blue color.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux9 View Post

best,

geaux9
you can use plasti dip on just about anything you want as long as it doesnt overheat past 180 degrees... I used to have a 2012 maxima i had plasti dipped rims and most trim for over a year and never had any issues with it... if you do enough coats it can hold against just about everything