Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
Tiguan

What do you think of the VW Tiguan. My wife's Forester is close to ten years old. We are looking at the new CRV, the RDX, the CX5, and the Tiguan. We test drove the GLK350 and my wife disliked it.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed325i View Post
What do you think of the VW Tiguan. My wife's Forester is close to ten years old. We are looking at the new CRV, the RDX, the CX5, and the Tiguan. We test drove the GLK350 and my wife disliked it.
Tiguan is too expensive for what you get - if you want AWD and leather you're looking at low to mid $30k. Gas mileage is also mediocre. If you don't mind those two things it's a really nice car, I like it better than the others you mentioned. New model based on the new modular platform should be out in a year or two, probably with the new 170 hp diesel.

We recently got a Subaru Outback - the new model is much bigger and more SUV like than the old one, and it has a really nice interior. We got ours for like $27k with leather, everything but moonroof and nav.

we were all set on the CRV til we drove it - so loud on the highway, otherwise it was fine. This was the old model - the new one is too ugly for words.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: x
It's not a review, but I was a passenger on the Tiguan a month ago and compared it to the Ford Focus in that thread.

The backseat is cramped, the trunk is small, it's ugly outside, and it's cheap inside. I can't think of a single reason to buy one... oh wait, I can think of two - VW diehard fans, or fans of German brand vehicles who can't afford an X3?

The up-coming RDX looks pretty good (Since you consider GLK)

Last edited by Griffoun; 04-09-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
...The up-coming RDX looks pretty good (Since you consider GLK)
The RDX is more money up here then a loaded Tiguan. My wife like the driving feel of the Tiguan better than the CRV. The CRV does have nicer toys, and better mileage though.

Looked at the Outback. Wife wants to have a higher feeling seating position. I actually like the boxer 6. The interior is nice. Oh. She is insistent on Zenons / HID headlights.

In no hurry to buy. Will definitely take a RDX for a test drive. Perhaps we can get a deal for a 2011 or whenever they called the last generation model.

Last edited by ed325i; 04-10-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 AM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
I had an RDX for about a year and did not like it and traded it in on an R32. It's an odd size where it feels big on the inside and kinda cramped on the outside. The back seat is not very spacious. The 2.3 4cyl turbo seemed strained to move the heft and was always in boost, so I got about 18 MPG consistently. The SH-AWD is kind of gimmiky and really only works while under power in a corner. The best part was the telematics/NAV/bluetooth. The new grille looks really weird to me (for what that is worth).

I had a loaner Tiguan SE (FWD) for about a week and it was much more fun (and quicker) than I remember the RDX was. I'd take a Tiguan SE (or especially the SEL) over the RDX any day.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
I had an RDX for about a year and did not like it and traded it in on an R32. It's an odd size where it feels big on the inside and kinda cramped on the outside. The back seat is not very spacious. The 2.3 4cyl turbo seemed strained to move the heft and was always in boost, so I got about 18 MPG consistently. The SH-AWD is kind of gimmiky and really only works while under power in a corner. The best part was the telematics/NAV/bluetooth. The new grille looks really weird to me (for what that is worth).

I had a loaner Tiguan SE (FWD) for about a week and it was much more fun (and quicker) than I remember the RDX was. I'd take a Tiguan SE (or especially the SEL) over the RDX any day.
Hence only V6 in the up-coming model

Last edited by Griffoun; 04-11-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Will need to try the new V6 RDX.

Also test drove the Forester XT. Drives well, but has the same hard Forester seats wrapped in leather. The seat is a problem area. My back hurts after an hour's drive in the Forester.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Why not a 328 touring?
I was behind one today and it made me think.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Hence only V6 in the up-coming model
Won't help the cramped backseat, ponderous handling, and the overall ugliness though.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
The new CX5 is a great alternative and fully loaded under 30K. It comes with AWD, xenons, nice sound system, nicely shaped heated perforated leather seats, Tom Tom nav, rear camera and blind spot monitoring. The backseat has surprisingly lots of room, way more than Tiguan. The transmission is super smooth and quick shifting, I'd say on par if not better than 6 speed in E90. The only downside is the power, it's just adequate from Skyactiv 4 cyl but you get good mileage in return.

I spent the whole day in the car on Monday and traveled for 500 miles and I'm impressed even though I was only a passenger. Seats were comfy and supportive, car was quiet and bluetooth audio streaming Pandora kept us entertained.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Won't help the cramped backseat, ponderous handling, and the overall ugliness though.
2013 RDX is totally redesigned; but again that's just someone else's opinion from Autoblog, not mine. With all the reviews out there, I wouldn't get the 2012 RDX even when it's a good deal.

Last edited by Griffoun; 04-12-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 AM

How about a Grand Cherokee? I think they're gorgeous, pricey though.

You can swap out headlights for HIDs in any car, I thought? Or maybe there are only kits for certain cars.

we love our Outback, and it's not even the flat six. That's a sweet engine but doesn't fit the rolling boaty character of the Outback, so we just got the four. Wish we got more than 1 inch of snow so I could have tried out the AWD. Damned global warming.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
The new CX5 is a great alternative and fully loaded under 30K. It comes with AWD, xenons, nice sound system, nicely shaped heated perforated leather seats, Tom Tom nav, rear camera and blind spot monitoring. The backseat has surprisingly lots of room, way more than Tiguan. The transmission is super smooth and quick shifting, I'd say on par if not better than 6 speed in E90. The only downside is the power, it's just adequate from Skyactiv 4 cyl but you get good mileage in return.

I spent the whole day in the car on Monday and traveled for 500 miles and I'm impressed even though I was only a passenger. Seats were comfy and supportive, car was quiet and bluetooth audio streaming Pandora kept us entertained.
Forgot about the new CX5, it looks really nice.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post

Holy crap, 150 horses pushing a 3400lb (AWD) car?

The FWD is very fuel-efficient though, 26/35mpg.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Holy crap, 150 horses pushing a 3400lb (AWD) car?

The FWD is very fuel-efficient though, 26/35mpg.
My friend averages 27 mpg in his AWD, the engine sounds good and revs happily but it's no I6. I think upcoming diesel will be a perfect choice with more torque and even better fuel economy.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
If it drives like a Golf on stilts, I think it'd be a good choice. However, as with all German cars, the more options you load up, the prices can climb considerably.

My recommendation is just to get a Comfortline, perhaps add the Sport Paket and 6AT if your wife needs an automatic. I'm still not sold on the need for AWD in most vehicles, even in Ontario.

For unknown reasons, I can't see myself ever in a Mazda. Between my dad's MX-5 and the various Mazda3s I've been in, the interiors never please me in neither function nor form. But to each his/her own. Just go test drive one.

If you don't need a SUV, the Ford Focus hatch is also a solid choice if you can get over the lack of 6-speeds in the manual gearbox.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Mazda, unlike the VW, will be crazy reliable. The CX-5 may not be fast but it'll get the job done. If she's willing to wait the X1 is right around the corner...

Also Ford has a brand new 2013 Escape coming out... has all the trimmings, including 240 HP turbo 4, leather, touchless liftgate and xenons for about 31-32k for the FWD model and 32-33k for the AWD:

http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/
Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Sounds like we should wait a bit. The X1 has been available up here for almost a year. $40k cdn starting price for the Turbo 4

Last edited by ed325i; 04-13-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
2013 RDX is totally redesigned; but again that's just someone else's opinion from Autoblog, not mine. With all the reviews out there, I wouldn't get the 2012 RDX even when it's a good deal.
I think it's just a facelift. Like I said, I owned one for a year And I still stand by that it is overall it's a poor value for a driving enthusiast, even a mild one - like all Acura vehicles.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
I think it's just a facelift. Like I said, I owned one for a year And I still stand by that it is overall it's a poor value for a driving enthusiast, even a mild one - like all Acura vehicles.
2013 RDX is a big redo. New engine, new suspension, new transmission, new exterior/interior - heck even the SH-AWD is gone.

http://www.insideline.com/acura/rdx/...full-test.html

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=6557-en
Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Went to the BMW dealership today. My wife looked at the X1. Sat in it. Didn't like it enough for a test drive. "Too low." "Bad sight lines."

I liked the X3 M Sport that was there. Maybe in a few years.

In the meanwhile, we looked at the EX35. Didn't have time to drive it.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed325i View Post
Went to the BMW dealership today. My wife looked at the X1. Sat in it. Didn't like it enough for a test drive. "Too low." "Bad sight lines."

I liked the X3 M Sport that was there. Maybe in a few years.

In the meanwhile, we looked at the EX35. Didn't have time to drive it.
Friends like their EX35. Gobbles gas but it's supposedly a pretty sporty drive.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
That's sad, cause Honda/Acura used to make great driver's cars, like the Legends, 90s Accords, and of course the 1st 3 gen Integras.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
q5