Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
KW Street Comfort E60 Install

Wanted to share my coilover install with the forum. I recently purchased KW Suspensions Street Comfort Coilovers Part# 18020005 for my 2005 545i. I got a good deal from thesuspensionsource.com

First I want to mention that this is install is going to take more than 1 person. Me and a buddy were able to get these knocked out in about 5-6 hours. I have dynamic drive so it took a little more time. I would recommend using a lift if you can gain access.

The coilovers and wheels

The Car Before

Taking Apart the Front Passenger Side

The had a lot of pretension forcing the lower control arms up. We used a spring compressor to compress the OEM spring. While my buddy removed the strut/coil assembly I pushed down as much as I could on the rotor to force the lower control arm down. After looking back we think the pretension was caused by the dynamic drive system. Be careful when using the spring compressor as you can easily damage your fender.

Getting the strut out of the spindle hub required some thinking. We shot it with WD-40 and let it sit for a few mins. We used a balljoint fork tool to spread open the hub. After a few tries it finally broke loose. My car had the original struts so it took some TLC for it to break loose.

The KWs next to the OEM

I reused my factory top hats since they were in good shape. Since we had em out we re-greased the ball bearings. To get the KW coilover unit back into its new home we again had to push down on the rotor and lower control arm. We also ended up using the spring compressor to help get the unit in. Be careful of the top hat bolts hitting your fender.

KWs installed. My "A" measurement for the front was 8". I am using a 19" x 8.5 wheel up front so I wanted just enough drop to close the fender well gap.

In the front I am running 19" x 8.5 VMR wheels with 235/35/19 FK452 Falken Tires with 18mm Macht Schnell Wheel Spacers.

The rear required to take apart the trunk panels to access the upper bolts. Be careful not to break the tie down hooks with removing. There will also be a cushion that covers access to the bolts. You will need to remove that as well. The rear required my buddy to stand on the rotor to allow me to get the assembly out. It is a very long spring/shock. Again we used a spring compressor to help get it out. Be careful not to damage your fender when removing your coil/shock assembly with the spring compressor attached.

KWs next to rear OEM

The KWs in their new home. My "A" measurement for the rear was 10".

In the rear I am running 19" x 9.5 VMR wheels with 275/35/19 FK452 Falken Tires with 5mm Macht Schnell Wheel Spacers.

The car after

Since we were already playing with the car I also installed aFe Cold Air Intake Part# 51-11081. Took about 30mins to install. The instructions were clear and photos easy to see. Overall I think the quality is better than K&N intakes I have used in the past.

While I was doing the install my M Style Front Bumper from Trinity Autosport arrived. It gets painted this week! Just waiting on my matte black 545i emblem to arrive.
Ads by Google
Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 AM
upgraded to a 2010 535i n

Mein Auto: E60 535i 2010
Great pics and info on the install.

You've had them for over a year now, now was the ride quality on these vs your stock sport suspension?