Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 85 325e
Loud humming while driving

So, as I drive, there is a quite loud humming coming from what sounds like the front right wheel well, but I can't be sure because it is very loud. It starts at around 30 MPH, then dies off around 40. Then, it restarts at around 45, and becomes VERY loud around 48-50. I have all new tires, so I know it wasn't the 12 year old tires the PO left on. The 'Brake Lining' light has started coming on increasingly more, almost in sync with the progression of the noise. I'm not sure if it's a brake problem or possibly a bearing? Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Also, when I do replace the brakes, should I just go with OEM from Auto Zone, or get some drilled/slotted from the internet? Any real difference in reliability/performance? Thanks guys.
Ads by Google
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
does the noise decrease when taking a left turn? also does the noise go away when you apply the brakes?

on brakes. best bang for buck, ceramic pads (i had centric posiquiet pads) and brembo blanks. no need to go drilled or slotted unless it sees alot of track days. i raced mountain roads with very little brake fade, but i was also using basic dot 3 fluid. but whatever you do do not buy bmw rotors with aftermarket pads or vice versa. stock bmw brakes are softer so you throw ceramic pads on a bmw rotor, that rotor will wear quickly. same if you buy aftermarket rotors with bmw pads, the pads will get eaten alive.

http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...d=47&Itemid=81
Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM

The noise actually virtually disappears when turning right. Sorry forgot to mention that. And I can't really notice if it goes away when braking, it's pretty difficult to tell. And any problem with eBay brakes? There are some for 200 for rotors and pads... I don't know if I want to trust them though.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
livin large

wheel bearing.

the rotors are ****. i warped mine bedding in the pads.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Alright, I'll just stick with OEM. Where should I get a new bearing? And how difficult of an install is it?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:50 PM
livin large

dont know, didnt have to change mine. im sure someone will chime in

bavauto has front and rear brakes for $250 with sensors
Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Alright cool, thanks for the input.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 325e
Front wheel bearings come pressed into the hub. You'd have to replace the hub. Very easy job.

http://zoso.no-ip.org/318i-frontwheelbearing.html
Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Sweet, thanks for the link. As far as the parts, where should I buy them? Bavauto? I hate to keep bringing up ebay parts, because they are pretty vague and sketchy, but will they kill my car? they are about half price on ebay conpared to bavauto, so I'm assuming they are some cheap chinese product
Old 04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 325e
These are the 3 sites I use the most.

http://www.autohausaz.com/
http://www.bmaparts.com/ (Patrick is a cool dude. Use spece30 discount code)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...30_catalog.htm

I can't remember the last time I used ebay for replacement parts. Very hit and miss with ebay.