Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Auto start/stop stalling issues.

Has anyone else had the auto start/stop stall on you and just disable? I just picked up the new car this past Saturday and it happened yesterday morning at a stop light on the way to work. In the afternoon I was able to recreate the situation at a stop sign. I have the automatic. Basically I barely lift my foot off the brake and just as the engine is coming back on I step on the brake again. The car dies and the auto start/stop disable message comes on. In order to proceed I have to start the car again and put it in drive as it automatically puts it in neutral when it stalls. This is potentially dangerous in traffic situations not to mention embarrassing to be stalled on the streets in a brand new car. I read a blurb on Motor Trend that they had the same issue when testing out the 335i for the first time. I disabled the auto start/stop for now and took it to the dealer to look at.

Anyone have any insights or similar issues?
Ads by Google
Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Has anyone had a stalling problem with a manual?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
Has anyone had a stalling problem with a manual?
I had a weird stalling issue once with stop/start on the Bimmerfest 2012 328i with the 6 speed. Only happened once and I wasn't paying attention so it was most likely driver error.

Tim
Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
If you're going to be in stop-and-go traffic I would advise turning the system off. There's supposed to be safeguards that preventing excessive stop-start cycles in Stop & Go traffic (for example the vehicle must reach a speed of 9km/h with the 8AT) but based on what you're describing, you could be confusing the system by briefly releasing then re-depressing the brake pedal, possibly executing a "Start" and then "stop" command in rapid succession that confuses the system; in such cases the system shuts and keeps the engine off as a result.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sport
when it is cold

I've noticed it is when i first start driving the car and the engine is still a bit cold it has that problem. So, I asked the dealer and they said it is known to happen when the car is still not warmed up.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
If you're going to be in stop-and-go traffic I would advise turning the system off. There's supposed to be safeguards that preventing excessive stop-start cycles in Stop & Go traffic (for example the vehicle must reach a speed of 9km/h with the 8AT) but based on what you're describing, you could be confusing the system by briefly releasing then re-depressing the brake pedal, possibly executing a "Start" and then "stop" command in rapid succession that confuses the system; in such cases the system shuts and keeps the engine off as a result.
uhhhh....if you always turn the system off in stop and go traffic, and only leave it on during freeway cruising with no traffic....then you are basically not using it at all...

Isn't that the whole point of the system, to be used in stop and go traffic to avoid idling the engine while you are stopped?

So your recommendation is to disable the start/stop in stop and go traffic....bizarre, I thought that is EXACTLY what the system was designed to do, save fuel by shutting engine off when stopped.

Last edited by tagheuer; 04-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Haven't had these issues, but I have noticed sometimes the restart is very smooth, sometimes it's quite jerky, seemingly at random. Also it only works above about 50 degrees.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer View Post
uhhhh....if you always turn the system off in stop and go traffic, and only leave it on during freeway cruising with no traffic....then you are basically not using it at all...

Isn't that the whole point of the system, to be used in stop and go traffic to avoid idling the engine while you are stopped?

So your recommendation is to disable the start/stop in stop and go traffic....bizarre, I thought that is EXACTLY what the system was designed to do, save fuel by shutting engine off when stopped.
The stop-start feature isn't really intended for stop and go traffic. BMW specifically states that in the technical documents. That is why it won't function if the car has not gone faster then 5mph for the auto, 3 mph for the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Haven't had these issues, but I have noticed sometimes the restart is very smooth, sometimes it's quite jerky, seemingly at random. Also it only works above about 50 degrees.
The lower temperature threshold is 37.4 F

All sorts of interested information about stop/start can be found here - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606503
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
The stop-start feature isn't really intended for stop and go traffic. BMW specifically states that in the technical documents. That is why it won't function if the car has not gone faster then 5mph for the auto, 3 mph for the manual.
+1. It's intended to save fuel at stop lights, Railway/tram crossings, and prolonged periods of non-movement. Not so much the "crawling, miles of stop-and-go metropolis congestion".

Everyone's driving environment is different, and the traffic situation in Europe is different from that in some US cities. Adapt driving and feature use accordingly.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM

I've had the same issue. I bought my car about a month ago and it's happened 5 times so far. I've also noticed it mostly when I've only driven the car for a few moments. Air temperature doesn't seem to be an issue because I am in a fairly mild climate. I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday. My loaner will be a Camry... not quite the same as my '12 335 sport with 800 miles.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I was not in stop-and-go traffic. I was at a stop light waiting to make a left turn. The 2nd time I was at a 4 way stop. Anyway I took it into the dealer this morning and they are keeping it overnight so they can check it out in the morning when it is cold. I will keep everyone posted as to their findings.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
When waiting at train crossing I would shift to park instead of holding the brake for extended period of time. Would start/stop feature stop the engine if it's in Park?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyao88 View Post
When waiting at train crossing I would shift to park instead of holding the brake for extended period of time. Would start/stop feature stop the engine if it's in Park?
No. It only stops the vehicle if the vehicle is in D and the brake pedal is held (or Auto H is holding the vehicle).

(All this is stated in the owner's manual by the way........)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
I don't own F30 yet. So what happens when engine is stopped by Auto Stop then you shift to Park? Then let go the brake? Does it come back on at any of these points?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
I don't know anything first hand about BMWs implementation of the Start/Stop in the F30. What I do know is that every single review I have read anywhere suggests shutting this thing off. It does not work like it should. Perhaps BMW should improve it in future versions but at the very least they should provide a setting in iDrive to disable this at start by default and enable it if desired and not the other way around.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyao88 View Post
I don't own F30 yet. So what happens when engine is stopped by Auto Stop then you shift to Park? Then let go the brake? Does it come back on at any of these points?
In your sequence of events, once you put it into Park after engine stop, I don't think it would automatically restart. You would need to manually hit the Start button.

That's logically how I think it'd work.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 04-10-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 VW GTi
Is it Automatics only? I ordered the 6spd and would really like to know if i will be impacted too!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
This start stop technology is more trouble than its worth.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
suck.squeeze.bang.blow335

Mein Auto: 2012 335i saloon 6 spd
I am in the process of switching between an audi a4 to a new 335i and I was so pumped because I felt that BMW would impede the driver with less interfering technology...

But this option just seems ridiculous... Im pretty sure you can thank your obama supporting friends for the "eco-pro" mode and the start/stop feature, and the less safe eco-tires on the 328, all for an extra mpg
Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
I am in the process of switching between an audi a4 to a new 335i and I was so pumped because I felt that BMW would impede the driver with less interfering technology...

But this option just seems ridiculous... Im pretty sure you can thank your obama supporting friends for the "eco-pro" mode and the start/stop feature, and the less safe eco-tires on the 328, all for an extra mpg
Please keep political opinions out of the thread. For your reference Bush also increased CAFE standards.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Is it Automatics only? I ordered the 6spd and would really like to know if i will be impacted too!
Chances of a stall are probably less likely with the MT, mostly because the driver has more control as to whether or not the engine stops/starts automatically. For instance at a stop sign, one would likely keep the clutch depressed anyway for the brief stop and the engine would continue to run in this case.

I've personally driven with the system back in 2008 when it was introduced in Europe, and had no troubles with it. My dad has some issues because he likes to coast in Neutral (both illegal and dangerous); on a couple occasions the engine would cut out as a result because he had left it in N and released the clutch while driving.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 04-11-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
I've personally driven with the system back in 2008 when it was introduced in Europe, and had no troubles with it. My dad has some issues because he likes to coast in Neutral (both illegal and dangerous); on a couple occasions the engine would cut out as a result because he had left it in N and released the clutch while driving.
I thought with MT you had to be in neutral with clutch engaged AND car had to be stopped. Seems dangerous to turn off engine just with clutch out and in neutral. Of course with the new electric systems, you should still have steering.

Also, why is it dangerous & illegal to coast in neutral? Not much different than dis-engaging the clutch and keeping it in gear?

'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Most states have laws against coasting in neutral because the vehicle is not under your complete control when it is not in gear. For example, if you have to apply throttle to avoid an obstacle that you could not avoid by simply "coasting" around it then you will have to switch the car back into gear, etc. and as a result there could be an accident or injury.

Also, stalling in neutral, which can happen with some vehicles, can be dangerous, depending on what the affects of stalling are.

Now having said all of that, I do, infrequently coast in neutral with my 6MT transmission cars, on roads that I know well.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 04-11-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM

So I picked up the car last night. They said that initial tests found nothing but since I went in there with printouts of the Motor Trend article as well as community forum posts of others having the similar issue, they kept the car overnight to test when it is cold.

I am guessing they talked to BMW directly also as it was suggested that they do a reset of the "system" and the car seems to be driving fine now. I will try to re-create what I did to see if it stalls out again but so far so good.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
I thought with MT you had to be in neutral with clutch engaged AND car had to be stopped. Seems dangerous to turn off engine just with clutch out and in neutral. Of course with the new electric systems, you should still have steering.

Also, why is it dangerous & illegal to coast in neutral? Not much different than dis-engaging the clutch and keeping it in gear?
I would think that BMW has refined it so that it won't cut off while driving 60km/h (remember this was a 2008 118i), but I don't really want to find out lol. It's moot because it's not really safe anyway, because as mentioned, the driver is not in control of the vehicle.

Quote:
Code of VA 46.2-811. Coasting prohibited.

The driver of any motor vehicle traveling on a downgrade on any highway shall not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral.