Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Automatic Door Locks

Hey guys - newbie here. Just bought a 2012 550i with comfort access (and a bunch of other stuff, m sport, premium sound, etc..) Anyway, has anybody had an issue with the automatic door locks? Mine don't seem to work. I clicked the appropriate box in the settings menu but to no avail. I left the doors unlocked in my garage last night and when I came out this morning, they were still unlocked (fob was in the house away from the car).
Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
I don't think they are supposed to automatically lock when you leave the vehicle. They lock when you start the car and begin to drive. To lock the car when you are parked you have to either depress the button on the fob or hold the door handle, your comfort access will then lock the doors. If you have the auto locks on you have to pull the interior door handle twice to get out of the car when you reach your destination.....
Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyveal View Post
I left the doors unlocked in my garage last night and when I came out this morning, they were still unlocked
I would consider that the start of a good day.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I just bought one last week, but I agree with the above. Don't forget to push the Start/Stop button twice, pull the door handle twice to get out and turn your head and cough twice before walking away from the car
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I just bought one last week, but I agree with the above. Don't forget to push the Start/Stop button twice, pull the door handle twice to get out and turn your head and cough twice before walking away from the car
Start/Stop only once is required. The car will shut off after it is locked.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
The only time the car will automatically lock the doors is when you start driving (optional setting) or if the car doors are unlocked, but a door is not opened. After a few minutes it will lock the doors again assuming they were unlocked inadvertently by the remote.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
Not a good idea. Forget to lock the car and you're hosed.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
I don't lock my car in the garage. Besides, your logic is not logical. If I'm supposed to remember to lock my car every time I pull into my garage, then how is that any different than remembering to push the button twice?

I've owned a number of vehicles with keyless systems that you only have to push the button once. All the talk in the world won't always change habits. They are what they are. But BMW decides to be the exception when there is really no upside to having the acc mode stay on with one push. How often does that need come into play? Even poor pitiful General Motors figured out the right answer years ago. Keep it in accessory mode until the door is opened.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
I don't lock my car in the garage.
I didn't used to, but I do now every night since my neighbor's car was "violated" while it sat unlocked in his garage. Can't hurt to push the button and lock it, IMO.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Go Wolfpack!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xDrive
Just FYI: once you step outside, place your finger on the ridges on the handle (but not inside the handle!) for two seconds and it'll lock.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I always do it the way he does it. Switch off engine, get out, then lock and shut down in one step. Seems like the way the designers intended us to do it. I have never forgotten to lock the car.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I always do it the way he does it. Switch off engine, get out, then lock and shut down in one step. Seems like the way the designers intended us to do it. I have never forgotten to lock the car.
If your offboardnig of the car involved getting out two toddlers, a day's worth of daycare / school crap, etc., you might start seeing my point...

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-13-2012, 05:06 AM

I'm 59 years old. I've kept my cars in my garage for about 35 years now. I leave them unlocked because I'm in and out of my garage all the time and I like to be able to get into the cars to clean and generally work on stuff without having to go in the house and get my keys. I'll be damned if I'm going to let BMW off the hook for what is the single stupidest design feature I have ever seen on a vehicle. Like I said - if I have to remember to lock the car to shut off the acc mode, then nobody has yet explained how that is any different than having to remember to push the start-stop button twice. Either way it requires me unlearning something I've done thousands of times.

Last edited by jjsC6; 04-13-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I believe it all shuts down after 8 minutes no matter whether you lock it or not...wouldn't want to do that all the time obviously but once in a while would be fine I think.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 AM
The Driver

Quote:
I'm 59 years old. I've kept my cars in my garage for about 35 years now. I leave them unlocked because I'm in and out of my garage all the time and I like to be able to get into the cars to clean and generally work on stuff without having to go in the house and get my keys. I'll be damned if I'm going to let BMW off the hook for what is the single stupidest design feature I have ever seen on a vehicle. Like I said - if I have to remember to lock the car to shut off the acc mode, then nobody has yet explained how that is any different than having to remember to push the start-stop button twice. Either way it requires me unlearning something I've done thousands of times.
Well it can't be that stupid because I like this feature. I like the fact that the music is still playing until I get out of the car and lock it.

I'd vote for BMW keeping it this way. Because you always have the options to press twice, but if they did it the or way around I would not have the option to enjoy it. I think it is an example of BMW's attention to detail.

I do think an auto lock feature if you walk away from the car would be good too - it could be triggered by loss of key proximity.

Perhaps BMW needs to create something like Lexus Personalized Settings so you can fill out a questionnaire and the dealer sets up the car to work

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 04-13-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well it can't be that stupid because I like this feature. I like the fact that the music is still playing until I get out of the car and lock it.

I'd vote for BMW keeping it this way. Because you always have the options to press twice, but if they did it the or way around I would not have the option to enjoy it.

I don't think it is stupid - I think it is an example of BMW's attention to detail.

I do think an auto lock feature if you walk away from the car would be good too - it could be triggered by loss of key proximity.
So you don't think GM's solution of having it turn off when you open the door would work for both of us, and not force us to remember to do it?

BTW, I'll bet you dinner half way between Atlanta and Houston that if we took a poll the results would overwhelmingly favor GM's solution over BMW's.

Last edited by jjsC6; 04-13-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
The Driver

Quote:
So you don't think GM's solution of having it turn off when you open the door would work for both of us, and not force us to remember to do it?

BTW, I'll bet you dinner half way between Atlanta and Houston that if we took a poll the results would overwhelmingly favor GM's solution over BMW's.
GMs solution is okay, but I do prefer BMW's current solution. To me it is much more elegant and consistent with a luxury experience.

I do support the notion of customization though - maybe there should be a personalized setting with options as to what triggers the full off.

I like the way Lexus has a questionnaire which you can fill out after 1 month of ownership and take to the dealer, and they personalize the settings for you. BMW should have that too. The iDrive customization would be fine too, but I think if you multiply the customization options it becomes too complex for the older people.

BTW I am 35 and I am in an innovation business so am more easily able to adapt to different processes. I think that may explain some difference in style preferences. I understand others may prefer a more traditional shut down process.

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 04-13-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
100 percent agree with Stealth. My car doesn't shut off till I want it to. When I am waiting in the car line waiting to pick my kids up at school, I like that I can listen to the radio and use Bluetooth, and I can get out to open the trunk for my daughter's lacrosse gear without interrupting the song or conference call I am listening to. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Applying the other guy's logic: I never would have bought a 911 because I was too ticked the key was on the wrong side; I never would have gotten a diesel because I was infuriated I couldn't fill up at the local 7-11; I never would have had iDrive, Bluetooth, BMW Apps or any of the other goodies, because I was too old a dog to learn new tricks.

In fact, my biggest complaint is when BMW DOES try to emulate GM - like removing the elegantly simple and intuitive cruise control stalk that they've used for decades, and replacing it with buttons on the steering wheel. Epic Fail. Though it will probably attract one or two Buick drivers to the marque.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2011 535xi M Sport TiAg / Black, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW, ZDA, 2TB, 6NR, 465, 5DL, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Prior BMW's
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
GMs solution is okay, but I do prefer BMW's current solution. To me it is much more elegant and consistent with a luxury experience.

I do support the notion of customization though - maybe there should be a personalized setting with options as to what triggers the full off.

I like the way Lexus has a questionnaire which you can fill out after 1 month of ownership and take to the dealer, and they personalize the settings for you. BMW should have that too. The iDrive customization would be fine too, but I think if you multiply the customization options it becomes too complex for the older people.

BTW I am 35 and I am in an innovation business so am more easily able to adapt to different processes. I think that may explain some difference in style preferences. I understand others may prefer a more traditional shut down process.
See, now you know what you have to look forward to in 25 years. You'll be old and whiny like me! But just so we understand, for my age I actually do try to use newer technology. And the really good news for you (given that you are obviously a speed freak) is that even at 59 I have lost none of my desire for speed. I was showing over 160mph on one of my motorcycles just a couple of weeks ago.

I respect that we can have a....well, respectful conversation
Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 PM
The Driver

Quote:
See, now you know what you have to look forward to in 25 years. You'll be old and whiny like me! But just so we understand, for my age I actually do try to use newer technology. And the really good news for you (given that you are obviously a speed freak) is that even at 59 I have lost none of my desire for speed. I was showing over 160mph on one of my motorcycles just a couple of weeks ago.

I respect that we can have a....well, respectful conversation
It's true. It's like when I said I would never buy an automatic, and now I will never buy a manual.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:

I agree with you, it is one of the two dumbest things ever implemented in a modern vehicle. The other is having to pull the door handle twice to get out.

GM and ALL other manufacturers have the best solution, shut the car off and the accessories shut off when you leave the car. The worst part is that it is not a two step process. You have to press the stop button, take your foot of the brake and then press the stop again. Show me one person who has never driven a BMW who gets it right the first FEW times. I still restart the car sometimes. Only a diehard BMW fanatic would accept it.

If I knew about it before I bought my car I would have probably passed. If they don't fix by next time I will be a onetime BMW person....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
100 percent agree with Stealth. My car doesn't shut off till I want it to. When I am waiting in the car line waiting to pick my kids up at school, I like that I can listen to the radio and use Bluetooth, and I can get out to open the trunk for my daughter's lacrosse gear without interrupting the song or conference call I am listening to. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Applying the other guy's logic: I never would have bought a 911 because I was too ticked the key was on the wrong side; I never would have gotten a diesel because I was infuriated I couldn't fill up at the local 7-11; I never would have had iDrive, Bluetooth, BMW Apps or any of the other goodies, because I was too old a dog to learn new tricks.

In fact, my biggest complaint is when BMW DOES try to emulate GM - like removing the elegantly simple and intuitive cruise control stalk that they've used for decades, and replacing it with buttons on the steering wheel. Epic Fail. Though it will probably attract one or two Buick drivers to the marque.
Actually didn't GM remove the cruise control stalk? I actually miss that stalk on my escalade. You never needed to look at it, it was intuitive but the magazine guys decided they hated efficient and bashed GM until they changed it....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I agree with you, it is one of the two dumbest things ever implemented in a modern vehicle. The other is having to pull the door handle twice to get out.

GM and ALL other manufacturers have the best solution, shut the car off and the accessories shut off when you leave the car. The worst part is that it is not a two step process. You have to press the stop button, take your foot of the brake and then press the stop again. Show me one person who has never driven a BMW who gets it right the first FEW times. I still restart the car sometimes. Only a diehard BMW fanatic would accept it.

If I knew about it before I bought my car I would have probably passed. If they don't fix by next time I will be a onetime BMW person....
I have 500 miles on my car now (8 days old). Today I finally did it - I restarted the car by accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Actually didn't GM remove the cruise control stalk? I actually miss that stalk on my escalade. You never needed to look at it, it was intuitive but the magazine guys decided they hated efficient and bashed GM until they changed it....
I can relate. I've had a number of GM vehicles (for the record, mostly Corvettes and Tahoes). GM also has this newfangled thing that actually shows how much air you have in your tires. Yep, the exact pressure! Not that I want to get into it tonight, but that is another pet peeve. I've had two vehicles that I had to pull off a busy freeway in a not so nice part of town because my low tire pressure warning came on - only to find that I still had 30#s of air in my tires. On the other hand, I had a CTS Cadillac that I was driving, also in a not so nice part of town that I was able to watch how fast the tire was losing pressure and I was able to pull off and fix it because I had actually information that told me how bad the problem was.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Amen, Ultimate Driving requires the input of accurate and detailed information.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I have 500 miles on my car now (8 days old). Today I finally did it - I restarted the car by accident

I can relate. I've had a number of GM vehicles (for the record, mostly Corvettes and Tahoes). GM also has this newfangled thing that actually shows how much air you have in your tires. Yep, the exact pressure! Not that I want to get into it tonight, but that is another pet peeve. I've had two vehicles that I had to pull off a busy freeway in a not so nice part of town because my low tire pressure warning came on - only to find that I still had 30#s of air in my tires. On the other hand, I had a CTS Cadillac that I was driving, also in a not so nice part of town that I was able to watch how fast the tire was losing pressure and I was able to pull off and fix it because I had actually information that told me how bad the problem was.
I have to be careful what the last thing I read before I go to bed is. I had a dream last night I got a warning chime in the middle of nowhere saying I had 8 psi in the right rear tire

I will have to visit a page on women's beach volleyball before retiring for the night.....

2013 SL63 AMG black....