Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
Post More X1 Details Revealed. Is a diesel or 6-speed manual coming? Find out.

The BMW X1 was a hot topic this past week when it made it's US debut at the New York Auto Show. Making it extra special was the announcement that the US would see two exclusive models including the X1 sDrive28i (sDrive = rear wheel drive) and the X1 xDrive35i (xDrive = all wheel drive). We had a chance to sit down with Juergen Urban who handles X1 Product Planning & Strategy to see if we can get some more details about the new model.

Exciting new model with sport sedan driving dynamics and SAV utility

BMW X1 SAV

When we sat down with Juergen Urban we could immediately tell just how excited he was about the new BMW X1 and how it fits into the X line up. He explained to us that the X1 is in a new segment that gives a driver the sporty handing of a sports sedan but also gives you the utility that comes with a Sports Activity Vehicle. You can tell this from the marketing that BMW has done including highlighting action sports in video segments.

The X1 is set to take on competitors including the Volkswagen Tiguan that provide that smaller SUV in their model line up but lack the sporty handling characteristics that are typically found in a BMW. BMW is setting up to attract new customers to the X1 and it would not surprise them if there was a greater population of female drivers getting behind the wheel.

Can we get a diesel motor? How about a 6-Speed manual option?

BMW X1 SAV

If you are one of those people hoping that the answer to either question was going to be a yes, then you are going to be disappointed at the launch. The good news is that we got the distinct impression that there is a good chance that there could be an announcement off into the future relating to an additional engine option for the X1. The 6-speed manual transmission seems like more of a long shot unless we can start making some noise. Juergen did make it clear that the 6-speed manual could be an option but they need to start hearing more feedback from customers about the need for this option. There you have – go make some noise.

Speaking of 6-Speeds, did you know the xDrive35i has a 6-Speed Auto?

That's right, the US exclusive X1 xDrive35i uses a 6-Speed automatic transmission rather than the new 8-Speed that has been put into the new 3 Series. There are a couple reasons including the fact that the X1 development was originally done back in 2009 when the 8-Speed did not exist. Couple that with the fact that the BMW engineers liked the coupling of the 6-Speed auto with the model and you have your answer.
This decision is also the reason behind the fact that they Auto Start/Stop feature is not available on the X1 xDrive35i. For those of you who may not be a fan of the Start/Stop feature, this is your way to get around it in this generation of the BMW X1.

Wondering why there is sDrive available on the X1? Customer demand.

Yes, yes, BMW is aware that the X1 is the only X model that comes with sDrive as an option and no we do not know if it is coming to any other X models in the future. The interesting nugget of information that we got during our time with Juergen was that it was customer demand that drove the development of the sDrive for the X1. The feedback they received was that people who lived in warmer climates were craving an SAV option without xDrive so they made it happen. This is proof that making noise can bring about change -- that means go make noise for a diesel engine and/or a 6-Speed manual option!

European Delivery is open for business in September ... but is there any chance of a future X1 made in Spartanburg?

If you are on Bimmerfest and considering buying an X1 then chances are your are looking at European Delivery. The good news is that there do not appear to be any delays in picking up your X1 in Munich and heading off to the mountains for some fun. Talk to your dealer and starting planning a trip that starts after September 1, 2012.

We did bring up the idea of maybe production being moved to or split with Spartanburg at some point in the future but that does not seem to be in the cards. The recent $900 million expansion that is being done that the plant is for other products in the pipeline that they were not going to go on record talking about. Though, we already have a clue about an X4 in the future. That doesn't mean they didn't leave the door open for that possibility -- so if you are wanting to do European Delivery on your X1, I wouldn't wait too long just in case they change their mind.

So, are you ready to order?

The new X1 is an exciting addition to the BMW line up and one that should do very well in the United Sates. The new premium compact SUV segment is great place for BMW to slot into as a leader and they should be able to hold the crown as long as they follow through with bringing sport sedan driving dynamics to a vehicle that can carry your most extreme outdoor gear.

Ordering starts soon with production beginning July 2012 and deliveries starting in September. Who is going to be the first member with an order in?

Pricing breaks down as follows:

2013 BMW X1 Base MSRP Pricing
  • X1 sDrive28i - $31,545
  • X1 xDrive28i - $33,245
  • X1 xDrive35i - $39,345
MSRP price includes destination and handling charges

2013 BMW X1 Option Pricing
  • xLine (ZXD)4 - $1900
  • Cold Weather Package (ZCW)5 - $700
  • Driver Assistance Package (ZDA)6 - $950
  • Light Package (ZLP)7 - $1200
  • M Sport Package (ZMP)8 - $3000
  • Ultimate Package (ZMV)9 - $6650
  • Premium Package (ZPP)10 - $3950
  • Technology package (ZTP)11 - $2500
  • Servotronic - $250
  • 18" Light alloy double spoke wheels - $600
  • 19" Light alloy double spoke wheels - $1200
  • Chrome-line exterior trim - $250
  • Panoramic moonroof - $1250/included with ZPP
  • Heated front seats - $500/include with ZCW
  • Aluminum or Light Fineline Wood trim - $500
  • Satellite radio with 1 year subscription - $350
  • Harman Hardon surround sound system - $875
  • BMW Apps - $250
  • M Sport leather steering wheel with paddle shifters - NC
  • Nevada Leather upholstery - $1450/included with ZPP
  • Metallic paint - $500

Option Ordering Details and Prerequisites
  • 4 - ZXD - 18" light alloy Y spoke wheels, Dark Copper high gloss trim (NC) or Fineline Bay matte wood trim (+$500), Leatherette upholstery or Nevada Leather (+$1450). Cannot be combined with ZMP
  • 5 - ZCW - Heated Steering wheel, heated front seats, retractable headlight washers. Cannot be ordered with ZMP.
  • 6 - ZDA - Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control (PDC). Requires ZTP.
  • 7 - ZLP - Xenon headlights, adaptive light control, ambiance lighting, automatic high beams. Requires ZPP
  • 8 - ZMP - Sport suspension, 18" M light allow double spoke wheels or 19" light allow double spoke wheels with performance run flat tires (+$600), Performance Control, high gloss roof rails, sport seats, aluminum dark brushed cross wide trim, M Steering wheel or M sport leather steering wheel with paddle shifters, aerodynamic kit, shadowline exterior trim, anthracite headliner, increased top speed limiter. Cannot be ordered with ZXD or ZCW.
  • 9 - ZMV - Drivers Assistance Package (ZDA), Premium Package (ZPP) and Technology Package (ZTP).
  • 10 - ZPP - Universal garage door opener, Comfort Access keyless entry, panoramic moonroof, auto dimming mirrors, power front seats with driver seat memory, lumbar support, interior mirror with compass, Nevada leather upholstery.
  • 11 - ZTP - Navigation system with Voice Command and Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI), BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB.
NC - No Charge

See more coverage of the X1 launch here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=612297

See the full BMW X1 Photo Gallery from New York here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/bmw-photos...ork-Auto-Show/
More about More X1 Details Revealed. Is a diesel or 6-speed manual coming? Find out.

BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 1BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 2BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 3BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 4BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 5BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 6BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 7BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 8BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 9BMW-X1-New-York-Auto-Show 10

Advertisement
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Problem is, I don't think the marketing and Product Planning executives at BMW care about what people on forums say. And even if I go into a dealership, test drive and express my interest, and note my caveats/reservations, I don't think dealers would communicate that information to BMW NA. All they do is ask for more packages and fewer choices that make it easier to sell dealer inventory on the lot.

Writing letters seems pretty moot thesedays, as I assume it just gets tossed into the Customer Relations pile and I'll receive some generic response along the lines of "Thank you for your letter. We will take your concerns into consideration. Have a nice day".

So the best thing I can do is buy a Golf TDI next year. I know this all sounds cynical and rude, but I understand. Because as an Accountant, I know it's numbers and technical sales/cost data that does the talking, not words. In the case of the 5er Touring, all the wagon loyalists went to Mercedes and Audi, and BMW now has second thoughts. I would like BMW not to make that mistake again, because the Merc GLK isn't a pretty car, but there's a good chance BMW people like me will vote with our chequebooks and walk to another automobile brand, effectively saying Tschüs to BMW.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 04-12-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Enthusiast

I think part of the problem is that people have come to think the way that you do about companies listening to them. Basically that they don't really care so what is the point. Yes, it is most definitely a numbers game when it comes to producing these cars and the options that are offered on them. What it sounds like is we need to find out how to best communicate what we as the enthusiasts want so that we can feel like it got into the right hands.

The other problem I suspect is that a lot of what people want just doesn't have enough interest in the grand scheme so it doesn't get produced. I'm sure we'd all love to think that 6-Speed manual is a hot selling item but the reality is probably far from it. How many dealerships can you walk into these days and find a 6-Speed on the lot? Do a lot of people want it? Sure. Is there enough to justify all the development, testing and production? That is the question every company struggles with.

I'll try looking into the best ways for people to speak their minds about what they want to BMW. It is worth a shot since we all have our thoughts on what BMW should be doing that they aren't right now.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
The other problem I suspect is that a lot of what people want just doesn't have enough interest in the grand scheme so it doesn't get produced. I'm sure we'd all love to think that 6-Speed manual is a hot selling item but the reality is probably far from it. How many dealerships can you walk into these days and find a 6-Speed on the lot? Do a lot of people want it? Sure. Is there enough to justify all the development, testing and production? That is the question every company struggles with.
I'm not even 100% sure the X1 itself will be a hot-selling item as is. I'm afraid it'll end up being like the E83 X3: many "price-driven" consumers will complain its priced too closely to the X3 and that the latter has a better ride, better interior, and "is bigger". In fact, I'm pretty sure the same was true of the E82 and E90. In addition, the E84 X1 isn't without its faults, many of which are relevant to US consumers (space, value for money, comfortable ride).

I guess first year sales will determine the future availability of additional drivetrains, in addition to management willingness to cater to niche, enthusiast market. VW against all odds continues to sell the Golf and Golf TDI despite the fact it makes almost no profit from a financial standpoint.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
My wife wants a smaller car than her Accord, but doesn't like SUVs. She does love my 335d, so I am hoping she will want this X1 sDrive. Too bad no diesel in the USA, since I am extremely happy with mine. She wants a 135, but I don't like the looks of them and having a small SUV would give us one vehicle with a more utility.
She wouldn't want an X3, but for me a CPO X3 vs. a new X1 would be an interesting choice. The CPO warranty is really great.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I'm amazed at the author's comment to "go make some noise" regarding the 6-speed manual (as well as the diesel). How much more noise is needed? It seems maybe they just are not listening! I guess they do NOT read the forums... In my view, making the Ultimate Driving Machine without a manual option is ludicrous. Like AZNMpower32, when my '07 X3 6MT is ready for replacement, I'm afraid I will be forced to look at other manufacturers...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

While there are certainly people asking for these features on this site and many others, it is certainly not a given that BMW has the ability to scour the internet for this information. This is why I was suggesting that I'll see what we can do as enthusiasts to better make our voice heard. It seems like there has to be a way for us to organize this effort more and hopefully we can make it happen.

On a side note, what manufacturer makes an SAV / SUV with a manual transmission option that you would consider? It seems the choice of a manual transmission dwindles further and further every year
Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
And that's why I wrote the Customer Relations e-mail address with my thoughts. I've purchased two BMWs and a Mini already, so clearly I'm in the target demographic. But I won't spend $50K on an automatic. Oh well...

My letter to BMW:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=614660

-James
San Francisco, CA
Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Mr. Juergen, duh HELLOO where the hell you've been LISTENING too. Everyone wanted a DIESEL engine and the other goodies. Dont BS us anymore with we got to make some noise! The reason I bought my 335d was because you guys outsold yourselves in Europe and FORGOT your number 1 market,the Americas!!! And now you have the cojones to say we have to make some noise!! Whatever dude. Im sad I cannot buy the x1 but I am happy i got my 335d!!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
No MT, no x1, pretty simple to me.

I guess I better start looking at other manufacturers. For $40k, I will get what I want and if BMW doesn't offer it, somebody wiil.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper

Last edited by X3 Skier; 04-22-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D MSport
My 335d is my sixth BMW, and I'm loving my 335d over all of them. Even over my 335i, 328ci and X3)!
So much, that I won't be buying another petrol engine. I'm addicted to the torque and gas mileage!
I wanted a X1 diesel to go along with it! Why can't we have a choice when both are being made?

So after20+ years behind nothing but BMWS, I have begun looking... gasp. at Audi and VW TDI's?

So, BMW is that LOUD ENOUGH??????
And.. BMW, if you don't browse Bimmerfest and the like, then you aren't doing your marketing job. You should be so lucky to have such passionate and knowledgable customers. LISTEN.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 AM

@Bredi I am with you on this I believe BMWA does not listen to any of us I also wanted the X1 Diesel and I opted for the 335d instead with no regret!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
ridiculous....got to any dealer and ask them if the MAJORITY of their customers want a diesel or 6 speed. The answer is no....Just the enthusiasts. As long as there is less then 3% demand for the 6 speed and diesel fuel here is 25 cents more than gas, I think BMW is making the decision that MOST people buying their product want.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
ridiculous....got to any dealer and ask them if the MAJORITY of their customers want a diesel or 6 speed. The answer is no....Just the enthusiasts. As long as there is less then 3% demand for the 6 speed and diesel fuel here is 25 cents more than gas, I think BMW is making the decision that MOST people buying their product want.
Evangelists for the brand are the 3%. The majority of owners don't talk much about their cars. So satisfy the evangelists and you will net more sales. Piss off that same group and they will vocally grouse to prospective buyers.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Retired

more like "lunatic fringe..."

RTOM.....
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1M, MINI Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Evangelists for the brand are the 3%. The majority of owners don't talk much about their cars. So satisfy the evangelists and you will net more sales. Piss off that same group and they will vocally grouse to prospective buyers.
You can make everybody happy - just have MT or diesel a special order option.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Retired

shows you really don't understand manufacturing/finance...those options would cost a lot of money for very little sales and benefit to the overall bottom line...the wants of the few are outweighed by the financial benefit to the company - pure and simple. If they were a significant amount of owner's that wanted it , they would do it, but only "evangelists" want it and they ain't enuf of them...plain and simple...I'm sure the people here that manage their own businesses understand mfr cost vs demand....

RTOM.....
Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 AM

I am not saying it should be free option.
I am sure thar $1000 for MT will cover the expenses of sending couple cars that already being built to US.
BMW are able to make money on more exotic options from BMW individual catalog.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Retired

You're "sure" huh?

When the other people on your block/complex/neighborhood want the MT, BMW will do it. It's all business and numbers..

RTOM.....
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
You're "sure" huh?

When the other people on your block/complex/neighborhood want the MT, BMW will do it. It's all business and numbers..
The best way to show it is to buy one, but how can I buy one if it BMW gives me no choice.

I have spent 6 months looking for SUV/Crossover/Wagon with MT and AWD. Choices are limited to Porsche Cayenne, Subaru, MINI Countryman, BMW 328xi or Toyota FJ.
Most of them too big for my taste.
I wanted X1, but it was not available, so I bought Countryman All4.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
You're "sure" huh?

Well BMW has not attempted to charge extra for a manual yet. The F30 the manual and automatic are the same price. Maybe, eventually, BMW will do what Infiniti did with the G37 and just make the manual vehicle more expensive. You really want to play, you pay.

The extra charge option for manual may be the ticket to figuring out who really values it. I can see spending 1-2k extra for a manual.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd330Ci View Post
The best way to show it is to buy one, but how can I buy one if it BMW gives me no choice.

I have spent 6 months looking for SUV/Crossover/Wagon with MT and AWD. Choices are limited to Porsche Cayenne, Subaru, MINI Countryman, BMW 328xi or Toyota FJ.
Most of them too big for my taste.
I wanted X1, but it was not available, so I bought Countryman All4.
Will you be satisfied with the Countryman All4? I tried one and felt the 1.6 simply didn't have enough gumption to get the car moving. If BMW put the N20 in there and called it a JCW we might have a different story.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Will you be satisfied with the Countryman All4? I tried one and felt the 1.6 simply didn't have enough gumption to get the car moving. If BMW put the N20 in there and called it a JCW we might have a different story.
So far I like Countryman especially comparing to BMW 328xi or Subaru.
I do like its size, handling and Cooper S has decent power.

Not that I don't wish it had BMW 2.0 turbo and hydraulic power steering.
(Don't even mention European delivery :-))
Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 PM

But having MT is most important to me.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Yo Glen E

Here are some suggested readings that may enlighten you a little (both on manufacturing and finance)

1. Go to the BMW Blog website and read the lead article about BMW Individual. This program has been very successful in years for a few years now and BMW USA has begun to implement a limited version here in the US. Seems what ever incremental costs not passed on to the consumer are worth supporting BMW's program as a way to differientiate BMW from MB and Audi.

2. BMW is building these vehicles with these options (diesel engines and manual transmissions) every day. All of the parts and pieces are sitting on the factory floor waiting to be installed. NO EXTRA COST HERE

3. Yes each manufacturer has to get each engine certified by the EPA for each type of vehicle. Audi has already begun this process with their Q5 diesel and BMW better get moving too.

4. As far as fringe lunatic goes this is insane. Check out the latest April sales figures in BMW BLOG. SAV's had a 24% increase in April leading all categories. In today's USATODAY there is an article about an increase in the number of people wanting manual transmissions. Go figure.

5. Choice is a beautiful thing, let those who want these choices have their day with a special order option. I agree don't burden the dealer with having to stock such vehicles