Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Interior disaster...a word of warning

So we went on our road trip and in our "brilliance" wanted to protect the back of the rear seats from puppy claw marks...

Therefore I went to Home Depot and purchased two moving blankets. They also helped protect the seats from bike grease...great!

Lo and behold I went to clean the interior with my Zaino leather cleaner and found all these dots on both rear door arm rests, back seats and rear of the front head rests. Couldn't for the life of me figure it out (especially the rear seating area as we had the seats down the whole time) until I saw a portion of the car I had missed vacuuming and found all the little "blue fuzzies" from the moving blankets and noticed they were staining the leather

So we learned the hard way not to put anything down that doesn't match the interior color. Of course we have the Ivory white interior so I will be doing multiple attempts at gentle scrubbing using my leather cleaner...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377709438.433978.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	394000 hopefully with multiple passes it will remove the stains without scarring the leather as I have already partially done on the door panel arm rests in my 5 min of impatient frenzy.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Beemer novice

Mein Auto: 2013 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
So we went on our road trip and in our "brilliance" wanted to protect the back of the rear seats from puppy claw marks...

Therefore I went to Home Depot and purchased two moving blankets. They also helped protect the seats from bike grease...great!

Lo and behold I went to clean the interior with my Zaino leather cleaner and found all these dots on both rear door arm rests, back seats and rear of the front head rests. Couldn't for the life of me figure it out (especially the rear seating area as we had the seats down the whole time) until I saw a portion of the car I had missed vacuuming and found all the little "blue fuzzies" from the moving blankets and noticed they were staining the leather

So we learned the hard way not to put anything down that doesn't match the interior color. Of course we have the Ivory white interior so I will be doing multiple attempts at gentle scrubbing using my leather cleaner...Attachment 394000 hopefully with multiple passes it will remove the stains without scarring the leather as I have already partially done on the door panel arm rests in my 5 min of impatient frenzy.

Ok, so for an active bicyclist and an owner of Fido, you like to live dangerously, eh? Ivory white interior? Lol, I learned with having 2 boys with their male friends and cousins. We don't have any white of anything in the house. White clothes, we can wash...
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 AM
There is no spoon

I know...unfortunately since I was not compromising on ventilated seats and we didn't want a black interior due to hot Texas sun we only had this, Venetian Beige and Cinnamon as viable options. Then when you add the fact we were doing the CPO we really had limited options. We really discussed the fact Ivory White would be very difficult to keep clean but I never thought it would be a mere 2 weeks after purchase that I would be inconsolable due to ma self-made catastrophe...
The better half tried telling me it's not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things, but right now it looks to me like the car has blue measles, ironic since there is an actual small measles outbreak here in DFW area.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Beemer novice

I see... Hehe, blue measles. Well, there are much worse things than some spots on the leather. Your better half is right.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 AM
There is no spoon

It's funny you say that as I have to go to Dr as I took our pup out to local lake/grassy field yesterday and got bit on the ankle by something. I looked down this am while walking the little poop eating tuning fork (i swear we would be gazillionaires if poop was as valuable as gold) when something kinda pinched me in the ankle and realized it is swollen and not entirely comfortable to walk....
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Beemer novice

Quote:
It's funny you say that as I have to go to Dr as I took our pup out to local lake/grassy field yesterday and got bit on the ankle by something. I looked down this am while walking the little poop eating tuning fork (i swear we would be gazillionaires if poop was as valuable as gold) when something kinda pinched me in the ankle and realized it is swollen and not entirely comfortable to walk....
Haha, poop eating tuning fork, ok I haven't heard that one before.
Hmmm, it doesn't sound like you twisted your ankle. For it to swell up that quickly to the point of discomfort does warrant a doc to take a lookie. Hopefully it's just a mild cellulitis (skin infection) from an insect bite and it hasn't affected the ankle joint.
Hope you get better. Need to scrub the leather some more!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
Ouch!!
I've used my dog hammock a few times and love it.

However, I have a black interior, so I doubt i'd notice anything anyway.
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
It is just lint or did you get some dye transfer?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Quote:

So we learned the hard way not to put anything down that doesn't match the interior color. Of course we have the Ivory white interior so I will be doing multiple attempts at gentle scrubbing using my leather cleaner...Attachment 394000 hopefully with multiple passes it will remove the stains without scarring the leather as I have already partially done on the door panel arm rests in my 5 min of impatient frenzy.

I know you Americans are all dog crazzy. But BMWs are not build to transport dogs
I would recommend the truck next time. Nothing is worse when you buy a used car and it was a smoker or dog car.

Good luck for the cleanup
Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredM View Post
I know you Americans are all dog crazzy. But BMWs are not build to transport dogs
I would recommend the truck next time. Nothing is worse when you buy a used car and it was a smoker or dog car.

Good luck for the cleanup
First, thanks for the cleanup wishes!
Second, I do not have a truck and will never carry my dog in any vehicle where he would be able to jump or be flung out if we were ever in an accident.
Third, dogs are no less dirty than kids...besides it depends on the adults more than anything else. I've never had my dog throw up in the car, drop ice cream on the carpet, etc.
Fourth, I have driven (to date) all my vehicles until death (case in point...still have the 93 525i with 204,000 miles) so none have to worry about being allergic to my dog's fur. ;-)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
There is no spoon

Update: doctors might be a scam!!
Not only did I only see a nurse practitioner but they still charged $95 to tell me it looks like an ant bite, to keep an eye on it and offer a steroid shot to reduce swelling. I explained I was purely concerned because I've been bitten before by ants, but never swollen.

I truly understand why some think they're quacks. I couldn't believe they charged that much to tell me I lost weight, might be dead (couldn't find my pulse for BP, had to use other arm) and I did more waiting than actual time discussing the reason why I was there.

But my ankle is not swollen anymore!

Unfortunately I dropped my phone and it cracked...by my count that is the third bad thing so I should be good for a while, I hope...

The ventilated seats are now officially justified. The current temperature at 6:45pm is 103F, a neighbor just moved in across the street from Hawaii and the wife said to me, "they just moved from paradise to purgatory."

Last edited by daders; 09-01-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Self-righteous justification
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Having lived in Texas, spent a lot of work time in Nevada, New Mexico, an Arizona, not counting living in Jordan and Kuwait, I can seen little good reason to live where it is so hot on a regular basis! To each their own, I know some really love it. LIving where there are four distinct, separate seasons is more interesting...If I want it warmer in the winter, I either don't have to go out, or go south for a breather! Plus, don't have to go far to ski, should I prefer, and at least in that season, don't have to deal with pesky flying insects or crawling ones.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
Woah, wait what?
From ruined leather to bites and doctor visits?
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 09-02-2013, 05:16 AM
There is no spoon

Yes I know...I am a catastrophe and a bit of a hypochondriac (thank you WebMD)

Jad: I certainly do miss the seasons and respite from the heat. I fear though that between my love of nice things, clear inability to keep things nice for very long despite my best attempts, and the wife's utter contempt of long term cold (greater than 3-4 weeks, lol) that we shall not see either until retirement or devise the ability to work remotely.

Anyway, I will be taking the car into the dealer for a few small concerns on Wednesday. I will ask if they have a spot dye similar to touch up paint... or at least have my fingers crossed there is an easy fix for this staining issue.

Last edited by daders; 09-02-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Beemer novice

Quote:
Update: doctors might be a scam!!
Not only did I only see a nurse practitioner but they still charged $95 to tell me it looks like an ant bite, to keep an eye on it and offer a steroid shot to reduce swelling. I explained I was purely concerned because I've been bitten before by ants, but never swollen.

I truly understand why some think they're quacks. I couldn't believe they charged that much to tell me I lost weight, might be dead (couldn't find my pulse for BP, had to use other arm) and I did more waiting than actual time discussing the reason why I was there.

But my ankle is not swollen anymore!

Unfortunately I dropped my phone and it cracked...by my count that is the third bad thing so I should be good for a while, I hope...

The ventilated seats are now officially justified. The current temperature at 6:45pm is 103F, a neighbor just moved in across the street from Hawaii and the wife said to me, "they just moved from paradise to purgatory."
Lol. Doctors ARE scam artists, just like your BMW mechanic, until he fixes your beloved vehicle and it comes back to life... Vroom vroom
Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Appropriate, non-marking sole puppy boots is all you need.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Quote:
First, thanks for the cleanup wishes!
Second, I do not have a truck and will never carry my dog in any vehicle where he would be able to jump or be flung out if we were ever in an accident.
Third, dogs are no less dirty than kids...besides it depends on the adults more than anything else. I've never had my dog throw up in the car, drop ice cream on the carpet, etc.
Fourth, I have driven (to date) all my vehicles until death (case in point...still have the 93 525i with 204,000 miles) so none have to worry about being allergic to my dog's fur. ;-)
There is some pretty good leather cleaning/ fixing stuff out there. A company can get exactly the color of your leather for your specific car seats. No idea yet where to buy in the US but I got my set here in Germany:

http://www.lederzentrum.de/international.html

http://www.lederzentrum.de/international.html#partner
(I think Canada would be an option to order)

http://www.lederzentrum.de/tip/english/carleathers.html
(Demo)

The trick to fix the leather is to remove all fat/prints/dirt from the leather. Cleaner will be provided in the kit. Then sandpaper (provided in the kit) it down abit (scratches etc), then tint it again with their special leather fluid, then put some protection on again. If you have deep scratches or damages repeat to recolor it twice or three time. Let it dry for 1-2h and then put the wax/ protection on again to seal it.

I used their kit to get some gray stains out of my black leather seats and some scratches (mostly from rings/ fingernails) from the stearing wheel.

Looks like new again.

Good luck.

Last edited by FredM; 09-02-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 AM
There is no spoon

Thanks for the info Fred! I just asked my service advisor about it and unfortunately they don't have anything different (just "industrial" grade). What I was hoping for was something like a felt tip pen with my color and I could "re-dye" the leather back to the original color since it is simply small dots and not from long term wear or tearing of the leather. I will have to give that company a shout and hope they have what I'm seeking!