Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328i
EWS Woes

Hey everyone, happy Friday. Does anyone have any information regarding permanently disabling the EWSII system? I'd like to completely bypass my broken ignition lock cylinder with a push-to-start system rather than paying for another one to be cut. The only problem is the EWS, as I'd like to not have to have any type of key in the ignition for the system to function.

K&N CAI, Dinan BBTB, Shrick intake manifold, Supersprint exhaust, Dinan Stage III software, Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, 3.23 LSD, Racing Dynamics strut tower bar, 17" M-Contours.
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
I was in a situation similar to you a while ago. I researched it and I concluded that it is WAY easier to find a used EWS/Key/DME ECU combination off eBay or off a parted out OBDII EWSII car than try and delete the EWSII system.

I remember a while back I bought my combo stuff for $150 or so off eBay, took an hour or two to install and I was done! Cheaper than dealer prices, easier than dealing with EWSII

Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
So you want to be able to start your car with no key in the ignition? How would you turn on the car's systems? What would prevent people from stealing your car?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
I was in a situation similar to you a while ago. I researched it and I concluded that it is WAY easier to find a used EWS/Key/DME ECU combination off eBay or off a parted out OBDII EWSII car than try and delete the EWSII system.

I remember a while back I bought my combo stuff for $150 or so off eBay, took an hour or two to install and I was done! Cheaper than dealer prices, easier than dealing with EWSII
Thanks for the info, I'll look into that as an alternative.

K&N CAI, Dinan BBTB, Shrick intake manifold, Supersprint exhaust, Dinan Stage III software, Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, 3.23 LSD, Racing Dynamics strut tower bar, 17" M-Contours.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
So you want to be able to start your car with no key in the ignition? How would you turn on the car's systems? What would prevent people from stealing your car?
I should have been more clear on this. I'd like to still have a key/remote to unlock and lock the doors and glovebox, but not have to physically have one in the ignition in order to start the car. The turning on of the systems would be accomplished by switches in addition to the actual push-to-start button. As a theft deterrent, I would obviously keep the doors locked at all times that I am not in the car, and have an alarm system as well.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
This is a similar system I had going for a long time. I'd advise against it as it is very easy to break into the car and disable the alarm pretty easily.

If you do that, however, I'd recommend adding a fuel pump kill switch at the least. Think of wherever it'd be smart to put a kill switch and don't put it there

edit: Now that I think about it, to "disable" my EWSII system, I just taped the key next to the antenna ring and hid it inside the dash...

Last edited by Shigeta; 04-13-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
This is a similar system I had going for a long time. I'd advise against it as it is very easy to break into the car and disable the alarm pretty easily.

If you do that, however, I'd recommend adding a fuel pump kill switch at the least. Think of wherever it'd be smart to put a kill switch and don't put it there

edit: Now that I think about it, to "disable" my EWSII system, I just taped the key next to the antenna ring and hid it inside the dash...
Thanks, a kill switch is a good idea. And that's a great way to get around the EWS. I appreciate the info.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
ews2 cannot be bypassed, only reprogrammed.

Instagram | @randytheus
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 92 BMW 325is
i dont know if the make it or not, as i havent looked into doing this. but some newer cars with the push start button have to have the key in the car for it to work. something with the chip in the key or sensor. i wouldnt recommend this even with alarm/lojack or fuel killswitch. this is just setting yourself up for failure. problems such as bad wire hook-up. ie catch car on fire, or just easier to steal or even hotwire for that matter. you can elimate the steering wheel lock easily with no hard mods. but i would stay clear of PTS.