Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Two Photos of our e89

I took a few more photos of the Z today. A couple of them were ok.

The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
Looks good, nice day out for a drive. Like the look without the orange wing reflectors over the front wheel arch that the US cars get

2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center), Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35i DSB 6MT
Looks great. I can't wait until I get mine in June.

Is the kidney grills crome with black fins? Is that standard?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsturgeon View Post
Is the kidney grills crome with black fins? Is that standard?
Yes. That is the grill that came standard on our UK spec. Feb 2012 build 20i M-Sport.

I think the US 28i gets that grill too.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-14-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
Nice set of wheels. Love the color combination. Mine is Jet Black/ Kansas Black interior
Happy Motoring
Old 04-29-2012, 11:01 PM
resU deretsigeR

Thanks.

Post some photos of yours when you get a chance.

Doesn't black over black get a little hot in AZ?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 AM

When it is hot in AZ it doesn't matter what color your car is, I have owned black, blue, red, green, grey and silver cars both in AZ and CO and to be honest, there is not much difference i temperature. Regarding the two year philosophy of BMW that new 2012 cars can go before service, I would be interested in seeing the results of oil tests after two years or 24,000 miles on engine oil. Yes, synthetic oils have improved the way we maintain our cars, but when you and I had to pay for service on our cars, how many delaers said it was justifible to go two years without a fluid change. To me even 15,000 miles is way to long an interval to cahnge oil and lifetime is just as ridiculous. BMW is looking at their lifetime oils and have made some statements that maybe they were wrong in expecting lifetime oil. I will continue to use 'old school" maintenance and enjoy my dark color cars.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
resU deretsigeR

Our Z is on a 2-year lease. The car will be due for service about a month before lease return. I may send off the oil for analysis just out of curiosity. I don't see much point in paying for an extra oil changes if we aren't keeping the car.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-30-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:44 PM

I would be interested in hearing about the oil analysis. If you are not going to keep the car, I see no rerason to spend the money either. Condition based maitenance is a way that manufacturers can sell maintenance free cars. Think about it, when there was no such thing as Maintenance free service, the manufacturers had you changing the oil every 3months or 3,000 miles. The transmission fluid was changed at 30,000 mile intervals and air filters and plugs and other itmes were changed at the owners expense. Since the manufacturers are paying they introduce a condition based system depending on how your car is driven. The old school phrase was pay me now or pay me later, and it didn't matter if you drove a Honda, Porsche, BMW, Toyota or any brand. If you maintain a vehicle it will last especailly the mechanical parts. Sorry for my soap about maintenance but I am a believer in "old school" maintenance. From What I have heard, BMW now admits that the transmission fluid needs to be replaced and theat plugs on the turbo models should be replaced at 45,000 miles. Maybe they will eventually come full circle and return the marque to "non throw away" cars.

07 BMW 335
09 BMW Z4 3.0
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
I'm totally with you guys on old school maintenance. If you want to do an oil analysis to see if your oil is not depleted at a given mileage interval, go online to Blackstone Labs. They'll send you a container to take an oil sample - return it and see what they say. It's cheap, like $35 or something.

I've done this and change my synthetic oil every 7500.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Blackstone Labs - excellent choice!