Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: Z5
2012 X5 no homelink????

I took delivery of a 2012 X5 35i base model with "convienence package" and nav yesterday. My first Bimmer and initial feel is great. I think I'm gonna dig this car. I am surprised however, to find that there is no integrated garage door opener. I guess that appears on the Premium and greater packages. Anyone have any knowledge of this??? Thanks!

Last edited by Frankdp; 04-14-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest.com! I moved your thread over to the X5 forum. Our X5 owners should be able to help you out.

Have a good weekend,
Tim
Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
check out this link http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=558456 which shows all the option packages and standard options. Just a quick glance at it and it looks like the base model doesn't even offer the garage door opener feature.

This is kinda sad with a premium brand...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Newbie - so be patient, please.

Just picked up a brand spankin' new 2013 X5 35i - built for my wife, only to find that the Premium package no longer includes the Homelink garage door opener. Needless to say, this is a big disappointment.

Question - the dealer said the wiring is not even in place to swap the mirror if you have not ordered the Convenience package. Can anyone confirm this to save me from popping the mirror off myself to check ? I am shocked that an X5 "Premium" has no capability to even be wired for Homelink. Issue is my wife had NO interes in any of the other Convenience options, and will now be annoyed 3 to 5 times a day for the next 36 months.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Welcome OP!

I think it was an option under ZPP for me in MY11. Ridiculous that it isn't standard
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab-o View Post
Newbie - so be patient, please.

Just picked up a brand spankin' new 2013 X5 35i - built for my wife, only to find that the Premium package no longer includes the Homelink garage door opener. Needless to say, this is a big disappointment.

Question - the dealer said the wiring is not even in place to swap the mirror if you have not ordered the Convenience package. Can anyone confirm this to save me from popping the mirror off myself to check ? I am shocked that an X5 "Premium" has no capability to even be wired for Homelink. Issue is my wife had NO interes in any of the other Convenience options, and will now be annoyed 3 to 5 times a day for the next 36 months.

Thanks for the help.
I'd be surprised if that was the case. I retrofitted homelink on my 05 M3, and the wiring was already in place, so I just had to install the module.

It's simply isn't cost effective for BMW to have difference in wiring. I have a feeling that your dealer is wrong.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
All homelink needs is power, and that is already up there. I'd bet big money that the homelink mirror just plugs into the harness.

You can buy a replacement mirror.

I retrofitted a homelink unit I bought on ebay for $20 into my TT.

A
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 320i, X3 and X5
Technically speaking you should have the autodimming mirror installed in order to be ready to just swap your old mirror with a new one, just go to www.bmwvin.com, take note of you last 7 digits of your VIN and check the list, if you have S431A in the list you may be good to go.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
The BMW 5 series finally include Homelink as a standard feature. So I am hoping this trend continue into the next generation X5. Its kinda sad for BMW to move this feature out of car to get people to buy premium package.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw x5
Question homlink

i bot a 2013 bmw with nav, (not premium) and also no homelink on mirror. when are they making standard? also, no backup camera available unless you order PDC (park distance control). over $50k vehicle and no backup camera! my son's gmc terrain $23k has a std backup camera
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5///M
Speaking of homelink / garage door opening, I can't seem to sync mine to my opener. I followed what's in the book, but it never sync'd. Anyone have a link to another procedure of further suggestions for this newb?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts10x5m View Post
Speaking of homelink / garage door opening, I can't seem to sync mine to my opener. I followed what's in the book, but it never sync'd. Anyone have a link to another procedure of further suggestions for this newb?
I had trouble myself especially with the newer rolling code openers, BMW instructions are vague at best, I actually followed the instructions from my wife's Infiniti as they were much clearer ( all Homelink operates the same ) I have attached a link to the Infiniti website, under owners' manual, it is Section 2-56 https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...nualsAndGuides Select M sedan, year 2011
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: X5///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
I had trouble myself especially with the newer rolling code openers, BMW instructions are vague at best, I actually followed the instructions from my wife's Infiniti as they were much clearer ( all Homelink operates the same ) I have attached a link to the Infiniti website, under owners' manual, it is Section 2-56 https://owners.infinitiusa.com/iowne...nualsAndGuides Select M sedan, year 2011
Thanks, I'll try that one!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
My 2012 X5 didn't come with Homelink either. It was in some package that I didn't want, I just ordered a used one off eBay and had the dealer install it for $50. The mirror was around $300 - $350 IIRC. I probably could've done the install myself but I didn't want to risk popping the mount off the glass (had a bad experience with that once).

If you do a search on my posts you should be able to find the one I made describing the process and part numbers.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, S4, V50 T5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts10x5m View Post
I had to hold the garage door remote in front of the mirror (between the mirror and the windshield) to train it. Anywhere else and it didn't see it.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
My 2012 X5 didn't come with Homelink either. It was in some package that I didn't want, I just ordered a used one off eBay and had the dealer install it for $50. The mirror was around $300 - $350 IIRC. I probably could've done the install myself but I didn't want to risk popping the mount off the glass (had a bad experience with that once).

If you do a search on my posts you should be able to find the one I made describing the process and part numbers.
So you paid the dealer $50 to unplug one connector and twist the mirror to a 45 degree angle and simply pop it off?

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw x5
thanks for advice, and on this post or another, was knowledge of whether your car was pre-wired (by looking up VIN) for the mirrow. there are aftermarket mirrors for less that include homelink, compass, etc., and OEM mirrors that can be found between $100-$150. also, go to utube for install videos. hard to believe that bmw does not include std, as well as backup camera on SUV. need to order $2,000 option pkg to receive. with backup, local guys will drill sensors, paint and match color of bumper, and install backup camera. don't understand their logic here on a $50,000 auto
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
So you paid the dealer $50 to unplug one connector and twist the mirror to a 45 degree angle and simply pop it off?
Maybe. I googled quite a bit and there were conflicting instructions on how to remove the mirror from the mount. If I was positive that I needed to turn it clockwise, when it actually needed a push and a counter-counterclockwise turn, then I might've accidentally removed the mount from the windshield.

I also didn't know if the wire was already hanging out in the mounting area, or if I'd need to go fishing around up in the headliner for it. From what I read, either case was equally likely. There's also calibration of the compass that's required, but that process looked trivial.

All things considered, the risk:reward and savings:PITA ratios were not favorable. YMMV. At the time it was my wife's brand new 55k BMW. I wasn't going to be the one to pop the mount of the glass and accidentally tear the headliner.