Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: E34 1994 530i
Smile Sounds while turning steering wheel

Ok so this problem comes and goes and now it looks like its here to stay. When i turn my wheel it makes a sorta creaking noise (ill try to post a video later via youtube). i've been reading around and some say its ball joints or maybe wheel bearing and before i go spending money i want to be sure. i also think its lack of lubrication but idk. anyone with this problem or any ideas on how i can single out the location of it or what it is.
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
is the noise coming from in the cabin or outside the car?
If its inside, and you car has an airbag, its quite likely to be the ringpiece as thats about it for that assembly.
If its coming from outside the car, it is typically the control arm bushings on the E34s, though the top hats can be a culprit too. other bushings dont traditionally give a creaking noise when turning as they arent directly functional to turning.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 95 xj,88xj and 1989 525i
My wifes 525i does this too Ive been thinking its a plugged PS filter maybe ??? but the pump flows good so I dont think the pump is our Problem.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: E34 1994 530i
its coming from the outside of the car. another thing the wheel moves easily when its jacked up and i shake it idk if that helps but im sure the control arm has something to do with it
Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02/1994 530i 8cylinder
That noise is from your front suspension. Turning your wheel in free play is your front suspension. Get to know Mr Lemforder better. You're going to be buying him dinner for the next week.

By the way, when your dog bones, etc are worn, it puts cascading pressure on everything else and destroys it. Bearings. Wheels. Tires. Alignment.

And secondly, you cant eyeball the bad part most of the time. You have to take it off to see the rubber disentegrate in your hand.

Unless you have a lift, Id bring it to a shop and get it sorted out completely and quickly. Suspension issues are the achilles heel of bimmers. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samster5 View Post
Ok so this problem comes and goes and now it looks like its here to stay. When i turn my wheel it makes a sorta creaking noise (ill try to post a video later via youtube). i've been reading around and some say its ball joints or maybe wheel bearing and before i go spending money i want to be sure. i also think its lack of lubrication but idk. anyone with this problem or any ideas on how i can single out the location of it or what it is.
When that creaking noise happened to my car it was the strut tower bearings , it happens only when it is 40 degrees outside . When I replaced my struts I replaced the strut tower bearings too , and the creaking went away . But again my experience is only on my car . Hope that helps ....

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertech777 View Post
When that creaking noise happened to my car it was the strut tower bearings , it happens only when it is 40 degrees outside . When I replaced my struts I replaced the strut tower bearings too , and the creaking went away . But again my experience is only on my car . Hope that helps ....

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
yep my moneys on this

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014