Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old Today, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i
Proud owner of a new-to-me X3!

Hello everyone,

I just purchased an X3 a few days ago, and would like to introduce myself–and my vehicle–to the forum!

I'm a college student in Atlanta, Georgia with a knack for German cars. I've owned an '05 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 BMW 335i Coupe, '04 Mercedes ML500, and now an '06 BMW X3.

After months of research I decided to buy an X3. I wanted something nimble, fairly quick, fuel efficient, competent in inclement weather (AWD), luxurious, and spacious enough for road trips with my friends. I found a great X3 in Chicago, so I had it inspected and flew up to make the purchase.

The vehicle I purchased is a Silver Gray '06 BMW X3 3.0i with 113-style 18" wheels, black leather, premium package, heated seats, heated steering wheel, xenons, Servotronic, OEM iPod integration, and I think it has OEM Bluetooth since I saw a module in the trunk. It has 114,000 miles on the odometer, three previous owners (lease, CPO, and regular), one "minor damage" accident, one rear-end collision, and zero service records other than what's on Carfax and the oil window sticker (yeah, I know). The interior and exterior are nearly flawless. I paid $7,400 out the door, but I'll also have to pay about $600 for taxes, title, and tag.

Here's my to-do list:

Mechanical
- CEL for vacuum leaks in banks 1 and 2 (light came on immediately after hard acceleration, one night after I had driven it 850 miles with no CEL)
- Possible slow oil leak from head gasket, haven't had time to investigate much
- Weird sound from back of vehicle when pulling into driveway from an angle, possibly because rear wheel has to articulate quite a bit (will post video with sound)
- Some-but not much-rust under vehicle that needs to be coated with something
- Replace pads and rotors within the next 1,000 miles
- Oil/differential fluid change within the next 1,500 miles
- Replace air filter for good measure
- Not sure if Servotronic is broken or just subtle
- Find a used spare tire

Exterior
- Black paint peeling on driver's side mirror, probably just going to repaint myself
- Clear coat cracking slightly on crease above passenger's front wheel arch
- 2-3 small paint chips on doors
- Rear wiper sagging slightly
- Passenger's side HID bulb on the yellow side, replacing both bulbs with new ones
- Replace waterlogged third brake light

Interior
- Driver's side front speaker not working, either replacing with OEM or replacing all door speakers with aftermarket ones
- Tailgate doesn't latch all the way, hook on tailgate probably misaligned with locking mechanism
- Interior plastic cover on tailgate not attached very well
- Install new cargo area lights, previous owner probably removed them because they wouldn't turn off with tailgate not latching
- Replace cabin air filter for good measure

Improvements
- New tires already purchased (Michelin Pilot Sport ZR-18 Y-rated all-seasons)
- Rain-X Latitude wipers
- Considering crossbars for roof rack
- German front plate
- Buy a second key
- WeatherTech custom floor mats
- WeatherTech cargo mat
- Aluminum pedals

I'll be using the search function quite a bit in the following weeks

Last edited by Sanders; Today at 11:36 AM.
Advertisement

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search