Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
EURO Rear Foglight mod?

I forgot where did I read that but I remember someone did that on the 6 (in U.S it's disabled). Could anybody know about this might give me a hint and tools suggest to do this? I'm interested in doing this so much.

Thanks!

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
It is disabled in the US because it's illegal. Basically rear fog lights are like a fourth break light that stays on. If you don't get a ticket, everyone behind you will think your stopping or riding your breaks because no one is used to seeing them here. On my wifes volvo they just took out the bulb. All I had to do was replace it and it worked. Not sure if our cars would need more (i.e. switch installed) or not, but it is not a very exciting mod and illegal to boot.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
It is disabled in the US because it's illegal. Basically rear fog lights are like a fourth break light that stays on. If you don't get a ticket, everyone behind you will think your stopping or riding your breaks because no one is used to seeing them here. On my wifes volvo they just took out the bulb. All I had to do was replace it and it worked. Not sure if our cars would need more (i.e. switch installed) or not, but it is not a very exciting mod and illegal to boot.
Wrong. There is nothing illegal about rear fog lights when used appropriately.

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 12-22-2012, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
I don't know about them being illegal. I had them on all my Saabs.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
I forgot where did I read that but I remember someone did that on the 6 (in U.S it's disabled). Could anybody know about this might give me a hint and tools suggest to do this? I'm interested in doing this so much.

Thanks!
For a three series, you are looking for this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...tch/ES2500537/

I have one and it works perfectly. The fog lights, disabled at the factory by virtue of having the switch inoperative, are 100% functional.

I did a quick search for an equvalent for an E63, but came up dry. Not sure if that mod is possible in a 650i...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is disabled in the US because it's illegal.
Best explanation I've seen so far of why BMW rear fogs are disabled in the US:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Well, i took it that he meant 'BMW's rear fogs are illegal', which i agree with.

I think you are saying rear fogs, if they conform to the federal MVSS, are ok.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Sorry, Illegal was a bit strong and broad-brushed. They must be configured correctly or they are not in compliance with US law. My bad. But they are almost never configured specifically to use in the US (except for one Osmobile, no wonder they went out of business) and you can get a ticket for using them if not configured correctly. Some cars come with the one rear fog on the drivers side, which is legal. Others have it on the passenger side...not so legal, others still have two. So maybe I should have said they CAN be illegal. Better?

In Europe and other countries adhering to UN Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energised by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candela,[13] which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp.[5] For this reason, some European vehicles imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as stop lamps, since their European-specification stop lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and in North America rear fog lamps are not required equipment. However, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America - Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Porsche, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline - whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[13] This is to maximise the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. In many cases, a single reversing lamp is mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle, positionally symmetrical with the rear fog. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[13] Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated stop lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the stop lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with stop lamps, UN Regulation 48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and any rear fog lamp.[13]
HUD, Comfort Access

Last edited by Mulchman; 12-22-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...fogs-plus.html

I found the DIY thread here.

May I'll use a less bright light such as halogen bulb. IMHO, It makes our rear look more balance.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Quote:
Sorry, Illegal was a bit strong and broad-brushed. They must be configured correctly or they are not in compliance with US law. ...
Thanks, interesting info. I only knew they were not illegal per-se, but the additional details in the DOT spec. you posted explains the absence on BMWs, or at least the 3-er.

-Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
I wish they were illegal here in Ireland. Driving behind a dope today in an Opel Insignia (GM brand, mis size saloon). He has his rear fog light on on a clear night. I flashed my front fog lights a few times but no joy, so I stuck on the full beams & fogs, dope still didn't get it.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
I wish they were illegal here in Ireland. Driving behind a dope today in an Opel Insignia (GM brand, mis size saloon). He has his rear fog light on on a clear night. I flashed my front fog lights a few times but no joy, so I stuck on the full beams & fogs, dope still didn't get it.
Is that actually can switch on and of in Europe model? I don't plan to do it so bright, just dim light or I'll tint that light. IMO, It make the rear of our 6 more balance, top and bottom.