Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 128i 2011 Red
Angry Liquid in trunk

Last week, my wife was driving home from work when she experienced a total electrical failure. The speedometer went out and all of the service lights came on. Thankfully, sh was able to get it home.

When she got it home, DPatrick Dealer told us to have it towed to them, which I did.

I was called on 7/9 and was told I had a jug of water in my trunk that leaked on the wires and computer causing them to be fried.

They want 531.00 to fix this or told me to use my Insurance (what a joke).

I spoke to Customer Service about this issue the same day. They advised me that they recommend people not put groceries or liquids in their trunks. What is athe darn thing for then?

After finding a bunch of similiar articles out there on the web just like mine, I am curious as to how they handled this?

Does anyone know of any class actions?
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
I know you are angry, BUT it is hardly BMWs fault that you put a jug of water in your trunk and it leaked out, causing the problem. Class action suit? Are you serious? It was your fault or oversight - take responsibity for your own actions. People today are quick to blame anyone but themselves for accidents like this one.

I would think it could be an insurance claim, yet you seem unwilling to do that?

Once your anger subsides, maybe your thinking will improve.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d M-Sport
I don't have a One Series, but this is still an interesting post. Heck, I carry all kinds of liquids in my trunk every week! Not only jug water, but milk gallons and in this hot weather, six packs of beer, etc. I will make sure none of them are "leaky" since maybe the other cars in the family are also susceptible to trouble with wetting of the below-trunk wiring looms, etc.

Sorry this happened to your One Series- hope you can get it all sorted out with a minimum of expense/hassle...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 MINI S
Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
I know you are angry, BUT it is hardly BMWs fault that you put a jug of water in your trunk and it leaked out, causing the problem. Class action suit? Are you serious? It was your fault or oversight - take responsibity for your own actions. People today are quick to blame anyone but themselves for accidents like this one.

I would think it could be an insurance claim, yet you seem unwilling to do that?

Once your anger subsides, maybe your thinking will improve.
+1

OP really off base on this one.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128
+1 for the prior comments.

On the bright side OP, be glad it was just water. I know someone that had a similar experience with milk---had forgotten it was in there for a couple of days when it exploded spoiled (that car never smelled right afterwards), and yet another person that had fabric softener 'explode' in the heat inside their trunk and screw with some electronics. Honestly, $531 for the repair doesnt sound that bad, especially for a dealership.