Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3
I hope they included this patch in the 2013 models as well.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
... and there were a bunch of 'skeptics' on this and other forums that recommended that we had to "learn how to drive a BMW"
That sounds like the BS answer I got from the dealership until I showed them my BMW school certificate and asked if they taught me wrong.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: ML320, X3 35i M, G8 GT
I can confirm the programming 95% gets rid of this problem and greatly enhances overall drivability.

I am very happy with the results! I still notice a little jerkiness if you come to a full stop and the transmission has't grabbed 1st yet, but it is much much much better.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I can confirm that the software has been updated in the 2013 models. Very linear and smooth in my 35i mSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexian View Post
I hope they included this patch in the 2013 models as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: x3
how long does it take?

Dear TJ -- how long does this SIB fix take to administer? Is it a while u wait deal at the dealership, or days, or...??? Any insights would be helpful.

I love my X3 '11, except for the lurch. It's like an old motorcycle with "valve-line lash" we used to call it,

Best,

Fast Marty
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast marty View Post
Dear TJ -- how long does this SIB fix take to administer? Is it a while u wait deal at the dealership, or days, or...??? Any insights would be helpful.

I love my X3 '11, except for the lurch. It's like an old motorcycle with "valve-line lash" we used to call it,

Best,

Fast Marty
It takes somewhere along the lines of 7 hours to download the software to your car. Most people have reported taking the car in the morning and receiving it the next day. (my experience as well).
It's so worth doing as the car is much easier to drive in low speed urban environments.
You can read what the guys on the 5 series pages are saying about it if you care:
Global Software Update - Thoughts on Throttle Delay and more
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 PM

great info

thanks for the super fast response. One last question before I bother neighbors with amateurish guitar playing: Is this a warranty (e.g. free) job, or do bmw labor rates apply?

thanks for all the info!

fast marty
Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
thanks for the super fast response. One last question before I bother neighbors with amateurish guitar playing: Is this a warranty (e.g. free) job, or do bmw labor rates apply?

thanks for all the info!

fast marty
No such thing as free, but in this case it's no going to involve giving BMW xtra money. Yes, warranty.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28
Took my X3 in for the update and just found out that they kept it all day for a reset of the transmission adaptation. Apparently they are required to take baby steps towards the software upload.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM

problem solved

Dear TJ,

You're a genius! Thanks to you, I now have a "real BMW" -- I went for my annual service (#1) and used the phrase you suggested: "delayed throttle response." In addition to the piddling stuff they did (oil chg/wipers/blah blah), they held the car overnight and did the software thing with the SIB 24 02 12. Just picked up the car a few hours ago.

Holy cannoli. From 0-20 mph or so, the car leaps out of the chute like a bronc. No delays, no hiccups, no sense that the transmission is scratching its head trying to pick a gear, no sense of "drive line lash" like the old motorcycles had when the chain wasn't properly tensioned.

Like a champ -- that's how it runs.

Thanks a million for the advice.

Now I gotta reprogram all my radio stations and phones, but a small inconvenience for now owning what I expected I'd own when I picked the X3.

Brilliant!

Best,

Fast Marty
Old 06-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Brilliant!

Best,

Fast Marty
Not a genius, just an aware consumer. It's kinda silly that they wouldn't hold the seat and radio memory on the computer, but considering this is happening to everyone, the new update must erase everything. Glad it worked for you!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
When I had the update done, it didn't erase anything I had set up. Everything was just as it was when I dropped off the car............
Old 06-09-2012, 04:18 AM

i spent a little time before dinner re-inputting my radio presets, pairing the phones and checking to see what else had been deleted. It took just a few minutes and now i can't wait to take 'er out for a spin today. i love the car more than ever. i am unsure why bmw handles it in this kind of ad hoc way, but thanks to TJ I got the fix and i'm a happy camper.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 AM

Marty, I'm glad you're happy with this tsb repair.

I almost crossed the x3 off my shopping list because of the throttle delay but after doing research I found a third party vendor that had a solution for the programming fault so I ordered my car.

I ended up getting a 2013 with the update from the factory and was happy I didn't have to monkey with a brand new car.
Quote:
i spent a little time before dinner re-inputting my radio presets, pairing the phones and checking to see what else had been deleted. It took just a few minutes and now i can't wait to take 'er out for a spin today. i love the car more than ever. i am unsure why bmw handles it in this kind of ad hoc way, but thanks to TJ I got the fix and i'm a happy camper.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011BMWX3 3.5 Twin Turbo
Delayed throttle resp[onse

Thanks for the update on this subject.Have experienced similar issue on my 2011X3 3.5xi and will raise it with the BMW SA in Orlando when I take my car in for first service in a couple of months. Appreciate the extensive information and will let you know the outcome when problem is addressed.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 AM

Hey guys, I am really glad of the software upgrade. Is the driving experience similiar to "sport" mode? Has the gas consumption increased? Thx.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 AM

No change in fuel economy. The recalibration just makes the throttle application match the car's acceleration. ...so no more herky-jerky starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael T View Post
Hey guys, I am really glad of the software upgrade. Is the driving experience similiar to "sport" mode? Has the gas consumption increased? Thx.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 AM

For me, it does seem like "sport" mode -- in fact, since I got the car back from the dealer friday afternoon, i haven't put it in sport mode yet -- no need, in any driving situation. interestingly, highway mileage is still pretty good: 28.6 mpg loafing along at 65 on a local highway. stop and go: still around 22-23 mpg. car has about 7300 miles.

so: no apparent downsides to the software update/upgrade. remember to use TJ's key words to your SA: "I have a delayed throttle response issue"...
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Successfully got the software update yesterday, simply took the SIB in and they did the update with no argument. Got the X3 back later in the day.

I haven't driven it much yet, but it certainly seems better...
2011 X3 35i, Titanium Silver, Mohave Nevada Leather, Sport Activity Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Brushed Aluminum trim, Head-up Display, Satellite radio, Logic7
Old 06-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Mine has a build date of 2/2012. I happened to be at the dealer for something else and mentioned the throttle issue and showed him the bulletin. The response was that all the turbo's exhibit some sort of throttle delay and he couldn't do it to mine since the build date is later than the bulletin date. My throttle lag seems to be from a dead stop and not from the slowing down to almost a stop and hitting the gas pedal. So I wonder if mine actually has the newer software installed.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM

The n55 has basically zero turbo lag. Maybe ask if you can test drive a 2013 model to see if you can feel the difference. Based on my 2012 test drive I would personally pay for the TSB software update to get the driveability of my 2013 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Mine has a build date of 2/2012. I happened to be at the dealer for something else and mentioned the throttle issue and showed him the bulletin. The response was that all the turbo's exhibit some sort of throttle delay and he couldn't do it to mine since the build date is later than the bulletin date. My throttle lag seems to be from a dead stop and not from the slowing down to almost a stop and hitting the gas pedal. So I wonder if mine actually has the newer software installed.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Next time I'm at the dealers I'm going to drive a new one to see how it feels. If I remember, I noticed the lag on the 2011 35i that I test drove and don't think mine is as bad but it's been several months now. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
The dealer performed the software update on my 2011 X3 about a month ago and it solved most of the hesitation problems. Most notably, the X3 doesn't try to shift from 1st to 3rd in the first few feet anymore. However, there is still a profound hesitation if I roll up to a stop, but don't come to a complete stop, and press the gas. It acts like the transmission is surprised and is hunting for a gear. Very annoying. I'm not liking this drive by wire setup.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3 using ED
Deja vu! I think this thing happened before, Now I remember. This is similar to what my 08 E92 M3 with DCT had. It took them several months/years to acknowledged the problem. But the good thing is that, they were able to fix the problem after 2 or 3 sw update. My current 2013 X3 M-Sport is smooth and no lag problem so far. It was built on July this year so I assume they have the latest and greatest sw installed.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NC View Post
... However, there is still a profound hesitation if I roll up to a stop, but don't come to a complete stop, and press the gas. It acts like the transmission is surprised and is hunting for a gear. Very annoying.
My 2012 X3 28i (March, 2012 delivery) exhibits the same behavior on occasion but not always. Wish I knew why it happens sometimes and not others.