Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 318i
Heater Control Valve Rebuild '92 318i

I've had intermittent problems with my heater system, culminating in a repetitive ticking sound coming from the heater control valve which is mounted on the firewall, drivers side. New ones cost around $250, which is not cool, so I decided to rebuild mine.

Here's what it was doing before: (not my car or video, but the same problem)

1. Locating the HCV
It's mounted in a rubber mounting clip on the drivers side fire wall, behind the oil dip stick. It's tight getting in there, but doable without removing anything else.

2. Removal
Unplug the electrical clip from the HCV. You'll have to pinch and pull the plug out.

You'll have to remove THREE hose clamps total-two from the heater core mounted in the fire wall (leave the top two hoses clamped to the HCV) and the lower hose clamp ON the HCV. The last one's a little hard to do, but if you have a long enough screwdriver, it's not to tough.

Gently pull the two hoses from the heater core pipes (everything is plastic so go carefully). I give the hoses a twist first to break the seal. Mine came off fairly easy. The bottom hose is easiest to take off after you unmount the HCV from it's rubber clamp.

The HCV is mounted to the firewall with a rubber clamp on the bottom and a round rubber "boot" on the top. To remove, pivot the bottom of the HCV away from the firewall to unclamp the bottom and then slide the whole unit upward to remove the plastic pin on HCV from the rubber boot. (look at the pics of the HCV on the bench and it will make sense.)

(In this picture, you can see the shaft of a long screw driver just inserted into the lower hose to keep it upright to prevent excess spillage of coolant-FYI... you don't have to drain the coolant from the system to do this job.

HINT-I found it easier to remove the HCV through the bottom of the car.

3. Disassembly
Here's what it looks like sitting on the work bench.

You'll need a T10 Torx Screw driver to remove the 6 screws from the housing.

Remove the six screws. There is a little rubber sealant around the bottom of the electrical clip which might keep the two parts held together. GENTLY GENTLY GENTLY lift off the two metal cylinder units TOGETHER. In the picture below, you'll see the little copper wires you're trying to NOT break. Move the two metal cylinder units around as ONE unit.

4. Cleaning
Inside there are two metal plungers, springs and plastic sleeves that will come out. The pins on the plungers are hollow. There is a small plastic pin that seats inside the shaft of the plunger. Clean everything real good with degreaser, including the inside of the metal cylinders. You want to make sure everything travels smoothly with no binding. DON'T LOOSE THE SPRINGS OR PLASTIC SLEEVES.

5. Assembly
The following picture shows the proper assembly order.

Use a little WD40 to make sure everything is moving smoothly. Again, make sure the small plastic posts seat inside the shaft of the plungers when reassembling.

It's easiest to put the plungers, springs, and plastic sleeves inside the bottom half of the HCV and then put the metal cylinders OVER the bottom unit. Make sure everything aligns and seats well. Reinstall the 6 torx screws. Do not over tighten. Just snug.

Reattach the hoses to the top pipes on the HCV. Make sure you get the right hose on the right pipe.

6. Reinstall
Slide the HCV back through the bottom of the car and let it rest somewhere until you can go around to the top and pull it up to where it belongs. I found it easier to...

First, install the bottom hose onto the HCV,
Second, install the two hoses onto the heater core pipes,
Third, clip the HCV into it's rubber mounting clip,
Fourth, tighten down all the hose clamps,
Fifth, plug in the electrical.

Start the car, turn on the heater, let it run for a minute, and then double check the coolant levels to make for the small spillage that happened when you removed the HCV.

Total time-less than an hour.

Hope this makes it easier for others to rebuild their HCV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg
Views:	4771
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	321855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg
Views:	3563
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	321856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1042.jpg
Views:	3245
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	321857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg
Views:	2921
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	321858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg
Views:	2872
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	321859  

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	2941
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	321860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	2789
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	321861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg
Views:	2830
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	321862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020.jpg
Views:	2883
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	321863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg
Views:	2801
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	321864  

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	2794
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	321865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	2994
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	321866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg
Views:	2759
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	321867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	2976
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	321868  

Last edited by paulelmore; 04-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
i dont see no pict, but did it work? easier wud be to get second handed on ebay for about 40 or 50 bucks!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 318i
Pictures are up now. Everything seems to work now. No more ticking.

You're right, you could pick one up on ebay, but I'm never sure about the history or condition. I'd rather see something with my own eyes and know for sure. Personally, it's more fun to work on something and save the money.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Von Trips

Mein Auto: E30 S50B30....Rocket
Angry Nasty little French Heater valve....

Great post.
The pics really helped alot. I've been tackling this problem with my E36 320i for months.
I've gone through two heater valve units (both secondhand) without success, so it goes to show that there are some secondhand parts that should either be thrown out or completely rebuilt. The heater valve (with aircon) has has two rubber seals that cover the plunger ends inside the unit. You didn't take the metal plate off to reveal these two little evil seals. When these perish or disintegrate, they block everything up. Also, as the seals lose their ability to hold their shape, they start to leak the hot water into the core when you don't want it to.
This isn't a good idea on a hot day with the air conditioning on!!!!

The dealer will only replace the entire unit for about $480 Aud ($500 US) which is RIDICULOUS. I know it's another story but I am completely speechless how BMW rips the heart out of the Australian market to subsidize Europe and the States. We pay $168k for the M3....you do the sums on that one!
Getting back to the topic.....
Until I can find someone on the planet who will sell me a new internal rubber seal, I am going to re-use the cleaned unit without the internal seals. It still works but is not as efficient.
I hope this helps anyone else out there with the same problem.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
How did I miss this when it was first posted???? That's a GREAT write-up, and some outstanding pictures. Well done, sir!

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 e91
very nicely done!

JP