Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 2.5i
Exclamation Will bad ccv valve let oil into cylinder?

I'm getting smoke on start up and it smelled like oil, so I checked my levels and I am losing oil. I also checked my spark plugs in cylinders 1, 2, and 3 and they had a little bit of oil on them. Could this be a bad ccv valve or valve seals? Anyone have a clue? I am getting codes P0171, and P0174, lean in bank 1 and bank 2. When I first start it up it also has a bit of a rough idle. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
See this good description to answer your question:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=20

If it is the crankcase vent valve/oil separator gone bad, you should have got an audible indication a month or two back when shutting the X3 off.
Sort of like a fog horn.

If so, you may be running short of time to get it fixed.

Check the underside of the oil filler cap for signs of water mixed with oil - the mayonnaise look.
That can be a clincher.

A good shop can probably check the condition of the hoses from underneath without having to disassemble anything and then give you a quote.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hale2thevictor View Post
I'm getting smoke on start up and it smelled like oil, so I checked my levels and I am losing oil. I also checked my spark plugs in cylinders 1, 2, and 3 and they had a little bit of oil on them. Could this be a bad ccv valve or valve seals? Anyone have a clue? I am getting codes P0171, and P0174, lean in bank 1 and bank 2. When I first start it up it also has a bit of a rough idle. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
... Check the underside of the oil filler cap for signs of water mixed with oil - the mayonnaise look.
That can be a clincher...
If it's white smoke, "Supercourse" may be on the right track: your head gasket may be leaking.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM

It's a bluish white smoke and I am getting ticking every once and a while. I thought that if the head gasket was bad it would leak oil on the out side of the engine.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
It's a bluish white smoke and I am getting ticking every once and a while. I thought that if the head gasket was bad it would leak oil on the out side of the engine.
Not necessarily. The symptoms will depend on where the gasket has failed; it could leak fluids into the cylinder as well.

Bluish smoke is more indicative of oil leaking into the combustion chamber(s); the ticking noise may be related to a bad head gasket allowing the coolant and oil to intermix; or insufficient lubrication of the lifters for other reasons.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Now the smoke is gone but I'm getting a decompression sound when I turn the car off, any ideas? It sounds like a car with a turbo blow off valve when it happens. ????
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Now the smoke is gone but I'm getting a decompression sound when I turn the car off, any ideas? It sounds like a car with a turbo blow off valve when it happens. ????
Does it sound like this sound that "Supercourse" described...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
... If it is the crankcase vent valve/oil separator gone bad, you should have got an audible indication a month or two back when shutting the X3 off.
Sort of like a fog horn...
If so, it's probably the CCV, like you'd originally suspected.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
it's probably the CCV, like you'd originally suspected.
I came here looking for how to test a clogged E39 CCV steel vent tube (integral with the oil dispstick guide tube).

Do you X3 guys have a similar setup as below?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need