Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 MB SLK 350 & BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
My Millennial yoga instructor just bought a F30. The first thing she told me about it was, "It's an eco-friendly car; it get's 36 mpg". It's disappointing when the first thing someone tells you about their new bimmer indicates that, to them, it's an economy car.
I just have to say that I really like your sig....And i'm thinking about maybe doing the same thing! A 'His' and 'Hers' Bimmer fleet....But for now, still have to share time with the wifey for the F30 but the SLK 350 is definitely a 'His ONLY' compromise for the moment!

In regards to the Yoga Instructor....Well, yeah, I don't think I would start off the conversation trying to make fuel economy as the selling point. Rather a 'P.S. This car gets great gas mileage'...Did you advise her to take a leap of faith and press the 'Sport Mode' button?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Forget those 0-60mph. If you do a street race (mashing it from idle), the 328i has no chance to match the Altima V6 in acceleration.
Yea, the V6 Altima is faster than my Ferrari F50.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
yea, the v6 altima is faster than my ferrari f50.
:d
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by malc410326 View Post
I just have to say that I really like your sig....And i'm thinking about maybe doing the same thing! A 'His' and 'Hers' Bimmer fleet....
Go for it!

Quote:
But for now, still have to share time with the wifey for the F30 but the SLK 350 is definitely a 'His ONLY' compromise for the moment!
Like my S2000. My whiskey abhors a six-speed.

Quote:
In regards to the Yoga Instructor....Well, yeah, I don't think I would start off the conversation trying to make fuel economy as the selling point. Rather a 'P.S. This car gets great gas mileage'...Did you advise her to take a leap of faith and press the 'Sport Mode' button?
No, but if I tell her that it's zen to be at one with your voiture, she may give it a try.

OK, all this zen talk forces me to post one of my jokes that's most likely to make my friends groan.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "can you make me one with everything?"

Last edited by GVFlyer; 04-23-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Creative punctuation.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
nice plate
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
...Did you advise her to take a leap of faith and press the 'Sport Mode' button?
I thought he was the one who was seeking advise, as how to achieve happiness and health from within, rather rely on the ultimate driving machine for the fix. If his Yoga training is successful, I am afraid he would sell his 3 and buy a Prius.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I thought he was the one who was seeking advise, as how to achieve happiness and health from within, rather rely on the ultimate driving machine for the fix. If his Yoga training is successful, I am afraid he would sell his 3 and buy a Prius.
I'm a former combat arms officer and I do CorePower Sculpt - a combination of weight training, cardio and yoga. 75 minutes, 95 degrees and high humidity - it's the pit bull of yoga practice. It is extremely unlikely that I'll ever drive a Prius. If I ever reach enlightenment, I'll probably drive there in a Hummer.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Forget those 0-60mph. If you do a street race (mashing it from idle), the 328i has no chance to match the Altima V6 in acceleration.
Explain. To me this makes no sense. If the 328 is faster from 0-60 than the Altima it's clearly faster.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Explain. To me this makes no sense. If the 328 is faster from 0-60 than the Altima it's clearly faster.
He said the camry was faster too...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
edit: removed post ; clicked the wrong thread.

Last edited by m8o; 04-25-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
0-60 times are stupid in this segment anyways as they are only a small slice of the overall package.

If the OP wants push back in the seat acceleration he can get a base model Mustang and get 0-60 times of 5.1 seconds for about $23K.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
... If I ever reach enlightenment, I'll probably drive there in a Hummer.

That would likely be a sign that your Yoga trainer has failed.

I know at least two people who drive Hummers, their wives both do Yoga and drive "Prii." You know a perfect marriage when you see one.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I rented an Altima on vacation once. I have to say that your body gets thrown around in it a bit more than I expected, and some may take that as a feeling of speed. I don't.

BMWs are so well controlled that your seat-of-the-pants impression is that you are not going as fast as you actually are going. Now, I will agree that straight line, 0-60 is not a great test of a whole car, and two or three tenths of a second one way or another doesn't mean much everyday.

But if you are looking more for how fast the car feels rather than how fast you can drive it smoothly in all conditions, then the extra money that a BMW costs is not worth it. If I were just looking for a fast 0-60 car, and not so much on the sophistication of the entire package, I would get a Mustang GT and save quite a few bucks, since you can get it for under 30K.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Not only are there plenty of inexpensive cars with very good 0-60 performance, but any kid with a used civic and a $5,000 bolt on turbo kit is going to smoke a 3-series. Stop light to stop light racing is for kids.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Not only are there plenty of inexpensive cars with very good 0-60 performance, but any kid with a used civic and a $5,000 bolt on turbo kit is going to smoke a 3-series. Stop light to stop light racing is for kids.
+1

There is so much more to our cars then 0-60. 0-60 is like #5 on my list of reasons i buy a car.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I am going to agree with the OP here. This generation of the 3 series definitely stand out less from the competition than the last few generations of 3 series. I am not sure if that's due to the competition catching up or BMW becoming complacent. Maybe it has something to do with BMW's effort to please the general public instead of the sports car enthusiast. With that said, I still think the 3 series is the leader of the small sport luxury car segment, but the competitions such as the A4, C-class, Lexus IS and Infiniti G37 are about to be redesign soon. I would not be a bit surprise if the competition catch up to the F30 in their next redesign.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Competition is good for all of us. Regardless, out of what's on the market right now, the F30 seems to be winning most comparos. BMW does not have tiny engine cars in the US to help their CAFE averages so their main fleet of vehicles has to strike a balance between sporty and fuel efficient, something that is much more on the minds of Europeans than Americans.

The sports sedan segment itself is not going to appeal to everyone. For someone who wants punched-in-the-gut acceleration it is not going to cut it and, as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. Idiots who brag on stop-light drag races can rarely go around a corner anyway.

For that matter, if someone did not care that much about creature comforts and "finesse" then why not just get a real sports car like a Corvette for only a little more than a loaded 3 series costs? The Corvette would eat any non M badge BMW for breakfast and spit the seeds out.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 04-24-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I am going to agree with the OP here. This generation of the 3 series definitely stand out less from the competition than the last few generations of 3 series. I am not sure if that's due to the competition catching up or BMW becoming complacent. Maybe it has something to do with BMW's effort to please the general public instead of the sports car enthusiast. With that said, I still think the 3 series is the leader of the small sport luxury car segment, but the competitions such as the A4, C-class, Lexus IS and Infiniti G37 are about to be redesign soon. I would not be a bit surprise if the competition catch up to the F30 in their next redesign.
BMW is forcing the competition to improve to stay competitive. Audi wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't have the goal of beating BMW.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-25-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
...BMWs are so well controlled that your seat-of-the-pants impression is that you are not going as fast as you actually are going...
The F30 appears to have further insulated the driver from the road and drive train. Being surprised all the time the car is going much faster than you think, takes some fun out of driving.

Last edited by dtc100; 04-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
OP. you can't tell dick from a short test drive. See if you can somehow get the dealer to give you the car (even one of their loaners) for a day or try to rent one. You will learn a lot more spending a full day with the car. The fact you didn't even discover/enjoy sport mode says a lot about the quality of your test drive.
my first test drive of an e90 335i was lackluster. I had a very brief test drive, had no idea what options I "needed" and had a basic stock non-sport 335i. I ordered a 335i anyhow despite liking the infiniti M35 better (i know not in same class) and when that brand new BMW was mine exactly how I ordered it, and not molested it was wonderful. you dot get to really know it until you spend some quality time in it. Then when you try to move to something else, you see that you just can't go back to the acuras, Hondas, and Lexus'.

I am now 3 BMWs in!

I also agree that you have to drive it in sport mode.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)

Last edited by jzcrna; 04-24-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFL335i View Post
my first test drive of an e90 335i was lackluster. I had a very brief test drive, had no idea what options I "needed" and had a basic stock non-sport 335i. I ordered a 335i anyhow despite liking the infiniti M35 better (i know not in same class) and when that brand new BMW was mine exactly how I ordered it, and not molested it was wonderful. you dot get to really know it until you spend some quality time in it. Then when you try to move to something else, you see that you just can't go back to the acuras, Hondas, and Lexus'.

I am now 3 BMWs in!

I also agree that you have to drive it in sport mode.
I had the opposite experience. I was just about to buy the C-Class when the BMW CA called to say the F30s just came in. I thought I'd give it a try but it was probably Merc I would buy. I was at the dealer an hour later and test drove one that still had the plastic sheets on the hood and roof, and immediately put down a deposit!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Competition is good for all of us. Regardless, out of what's on the market right now, the F30 seems to be winning most comparos. BMW does not have tiny engine cars in the US to help their CAFE averages so their main fleet of vehicles has to strike a balance between sporty and fuel efficient, something that is much more on the minds of Europeans than Americans.

The sports sedan segment itself is not going to appeal to everyone. For someone who wants punched-in-the-gut acceleration it is not going to cut it and, as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. Idiots who brag on stop-light drag races can rarely go around a corner anyway.

For that matter, if someone did not care that much about creature comforts and "finesse" then why not just get a real sports car like a Corvette for only a little more than a loaded 3 series costs? The Corvette would eat any non M badge BMW for breakfast and spit the seeds out.
I can certainly agree with that, without competition, these cars will cost a lot more. Although I think the F30 is still the leader in this class, I do not think it is much better than the competition like some magazine states. Let me explain, in the old days, when people want to buy a sport sedan, BMW was pretty much an automatic choice. Well, that’s not the case anymore, The F30 is a bit better than the A4 and C-class, but one can easily justify buying those two cars over the F30. If you go up the line, the 535i has even more competition and it is no longer the segment leader in my opinion. The A6 is a fantastic car and the Lexus GS is beating the 5 series at its own game, performance. Of course the large luxury sport sedan market belongs to the S-class.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

I think we are in agreement on all of this. Different strokes for different folks. If BMW was the only game in town they would charge more for the cars than they already do and the cars would have econobox interiors.

BMW has (or at least used to have) the highest profit margin of any auto manufacturer. As Audi and Merc (and others) continue to go after their business they will inevitably have to make compromises to survive. If we, as the customers, don't like the compromises then we go elsewhere and BMW suffers.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330i
Quote:
I personally feel the bolded part of what you've written has a lot to do with it. To me, the F30 is the latest incarnation of the 3series that does not wholly improve on it's predecessor. Seems like BMW has gone vanilla, the new exterior designs are competent but don't get me excited. Call me crazy but the Bangle era 3/5/7 cars were visually exciting and very much stood out from the crowd.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That's pretty much the conclusion that Motorweek came to when they reviewed the F30 328i with its new 122 cubic inch, 4 cylinder engine.

"The new BMW 3-series may have passed the “ultimate driving machine” torch to the 1-series and become more of a “family” sport sedan for the maturing driver, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. With its gains in interior room and fuel economy, it still remains the car that other sport sedan makers have to keep squarely in their sights."

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...2_bmw_3_series