Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
That's pretty much the conclusion that Motorweek came to when they reviewed the F30 328i with its new 122 cubic inch, 4 cylinder engine.

"The new BMW 3-series may have passed the “ultimate driving machine” torch to the 1-series and become more of a “family” sport sedan for the maturing driver, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. With its gains in interior room and fuel economy, it still remains the car that other sport sedan makers have to keep squarely in their sights."

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...2_bmw_3_series
I don't pay much attention to Motorweek as my review source as they are kind of vanilla, but I think it's harder to significantly advance driver dynamics right now due to the requirements for greater fuel efficiency. We all know that EPS is not as good as a hydraulic steering system and that low rolling resistance tires lack grip. We'll see what Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus do when their next generation are introduced. In a way the F30 is the first vehicle in it's class designed with increased fuel efficiency as a requirement.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
We'll see what Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus do when their next generation are introduced.
Lexus just introduced the new GS350 and Audi introduced the new A6 earlier this year, both models are vastly improved as far as performance is concerned. The Infiniti G37 is due up next, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Quote:
I don't pay much attention to Motorweek as my review source as they are kind of vanilla, but I think it's harder to significantly advance driver dynamics right now due to the requirements for greater fuel efficiency. We all know that EPS is not as good as a hydraulic steering system and that low rolling resistance tires lack grip. We'll see what Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus do when their next generation are introduced. In a way the F30 is the first vehicle in its class designed with increased fuel efficiency as a requirement.
Excellent point, but it's not just a conflict between fuel efficiency and performance, both of which are helped by reducing weight. It's fuel efficiency, crash safety, and performance, with safety features (and sometimes AWD) adding weight that hurts performance and fuel efficiency. The F30 isn't really the first to attempt a satisfactory blend, because the A4 has had efficient turbo fours for years (as did Saabs), but your general observation about a paradigm shift is right on, and the F30, coming from the makers of "Ultimate Driving Machines" whose signature engine was the inline six, illustrates it more dramatically than the others. For me, the most immediate question is how effectively BMW can develop the F30 to feel more like previous generations, especially with respect to steering feedback. I expect that to be adjusted soon. Over the long term, I'm curious how the others will fare too; the next Lexus IS could be interesting.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Lexus just introduced the new GS350 and Audi introduced the new A6 earlier this year, both models are vastly improved as far as performance is concerned. The Infiniti G37 is due up next, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Hopefully the new G doesn't turn out to be as bad as the new M that loses in every single comparo
Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
I don't pay much attention to Motorweek as my review source as they are kind of vanilla, ...
But the F30 is designed to attract more of those drivers of the other brands, which are probably "kind of vanilla" drivers by your standards.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
nice plate
Thanks, Justin!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
But the F30 is designed to attract more of those drivers of the other brands, which are probably "kind of vanilla" drivers by your standards.
BMW never said this. You did. For BMW the F30 is the logical evolution of the 3 series tempered by CAFE regulations.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael schott View Post
bmw never said this. You did. For bmw the f30 is the logical evolution of the 3 series tempered by cafe regulations.
+1!! But, I do agree the introduction of the Modern and Luxury lines does have the goal of widening the appeal of the 3 Series. Even some 3er buyers buy even though they wish the car had some different appointments. But they are willing to comprise that desire, because they enjoy so much the way the 3er drives.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
BMW never said this. You did. For BMW the F30 is the logical evolution of the 3 series tempered by CAFE regulations.
BMW also did not have to make the car bigger to meet CAFE, or make the suspension softer, or quieter...
Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
BMW also did not have to make the car bigger to meet CAFE, or make the suspension softer, or quieter...
It's 4" longer dude. That's the length of a finger. And there's also no proof they softened the suspension. The reality is the 3 series is not a sports car, it's a sporty family sedan as it's always been. The G37, C series and A4 are no different. Yet the 3 series is still the sportiest car of the group.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Auto
Quote:
It's 4" longer dude. That's the length of a finger. And there's also no proof they softened the suspension. The reality is the 3 series is not a sports car, it's a sporty family sedan as it's always been. The G37, C series and A4 are no different. Yet the 3 series is still the sportiest car of the group.
True. The fact that the car is larger (longer) without gaining weight makes it sportier while improving the ride. As for the suspension, I have never gotten clarification on whether the suspension is actually softer OR the longer wheelbase combined with the softer and better riding generation of run-flats make the suspension FEEL softer. If anyone puts the previous generation run-flats on their F30 I would be really interested to know what it does to the ride.

I know that a lot of folks complained that the previous generation 3 series road too hard with primamry blame being the tires. Now that BMW listened to people and fixed the situation......we complain it's too soft?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
I know that a lot of folks complained that the previous generation 3 series road too hard with primamry blame being the tires. Now that BMW listened to people and fixed the situation......we complain it's too soft?
That's human nature. By and large, people suck!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
True. The fact that the car is larger (longer) without gaining weight makes it sportier while improving the ride. As for the suspension, I have never gotten clarification on whether the suspension is actually softer OR the longer wheelbase combined with the softer and better riding generation of run-flats make the suspension FEEL softer. If anyone puts the previous generation run-flats on their F30 I would be really interested to know what it does to the ride.

People hate change in general. There's a lot of love for the E46 here and any move away from it seems to be a reason to vent. As you note there used to be daily threads ripping on RFT's and lack of compliance.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The reality is, over time, the 3 has become more family oriented than sporty. I don't know why you are so bothered by the observations of such CHANGE, yet at the same time accuse others that they hate changes.

The only thing some of the mags are saying is, look the 3 has not changed to the point like the 5, which has lost its performance edge to its competitors. Therefore the fact the 3 is now more family oriented than before, is not necessarily a bad thing, after all, it is also a family sedan. If you really want a sporty BMW, get the 1 series.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The 1 is now the new 3, and the 3 becaome a 5, and the 5 become the 7, etc, etc
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
The reality is, over time, the 3 has become more family oriented than sporty. I don't know why you are so bothered by the observations of such CHANGE, yet at the same time accuse others that they hate changes.

The only thing some of the mags are saying is, look the 3 has not changed to the point like the 5, which has lost its performance edge to its competitors. Therefore the fact the 3 is now more family oriented than before, is not necessarily a bad thing, after all, it is also a family sedan. If you really want a sporty BMW, get the 1 series.
Actually I would argue that the 3 has become more LUXURY oriented, not more family oriented. It has always been a family car.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I would have to say that the G37 is the sportiest of the bunch. It has by far the most power, the sportiest shape, and likely handles the best out of those you mentioned. It also has a sometimes jarring ride, poor mpg, is kinda tight inside and has a very small trunk. It's the worst family sports sedan by far...but the sportiest
Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

It's not reality, it's your perception. I find my e90 non sport to be very sporty and refined. Refined I think is the key word and many find that refinement contrary to what they want in a sporty car. That does not mean that the sporting capabilities have been compromised. If there is one area the F30 is overly compromised, it would be the low rolling resistance tires.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
If there is one area the F30 is overly compromised, it would be the low rolling resistance tires.
And that compromise is easily fixed at your local tire shop.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
are all the tires low rolling resistantce? the contis sport 5 i have are summer tires:shrug:
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Actually I would argue that the 3 has become more LUXURY oriented, not more family oriented. It has always been a family car.
I would not call the E46 a family car. Yes it can haul a family of four, but I don't consider all sedans that can haul a family, family cars. It depends on the emphasis the car has.

If the driver is the only person happy in the car, the rest of the family is bitching and moaning along the ride, that is definitely not a family car, four-door or not.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The 1 is now the new 3, and the 3 becaome a 5, and the 5 become the 7, etc, etc
And 50 is the new 30.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
If the Euro was spanking the dollar worse, like it was a few years ago, it would be much much worse than that to get one.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
You wouldn't like my miata.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
And that compromise is easily fixed at your local tire shop.
If you don't mind spending an another $1K