Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 525i
Slipping transmission

I have a 1995 bmw 525i with 210k on it that i ended up doing a transmission fluid swap on since the pan gasket was dripping figured might as well swap out the fluid too. So i drained it and refilled it with dextron III like the big green sticker on the pan says. Filled it until it poured out. I went through all the gears and let it warm up for 45mins. Checked it again and topped off the fluid. It now slips in 1st and 2nd gears. 3rd and 4th work great. Reverse is fine. The transmission was not slipping before the fluid swap.

Any ideas???
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Your old fluid was nice a thick (old and full of crap) so the tranny was getting old and it needed the thicker fluid. Now that you have replaced it with good new fluid you have found out you need a new tranny. Sorry

Andy
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
When filling the tyranny, the car needs to be running and the wheels must be level, and the car / transmission need to be at normal operating temp. If you did not do it like that, it is likely that you do not have the correct amount of fluid in there. if you did follow the correct procedure, it is time to replace the tranny :o((

Here is the procedure.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...0Autotrans.pdf

Last edited by CarDriver; 04-23-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
This is pretty scary I got 143k and was thinking of a fluid change now im not sure I want to . I herd of this to many times.. I already started to collect parts for a auto to manual swap just incase it lets loose ,so do you recomend I do the fluid change by the book?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankies525 View Post
This is pretty scary I got 143k and was thinking of a fluid change now im not sure I want to . I herd of this to many times.. I already started to collect parts for a auto to manual swap just incase it lets loose ,so do you recomend I do the fluid change by the book?
I think CarDriver had it right. To expand on that, not changing old fluid will only buy you a very short amount of time. If the OP hadn't changed the old fluid the trans still could have failed anyday.

Sounds like you are preparing for a manual swap anyway, no?
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Well why don't you switch over to thicker tranny fluid? Please do a search on these forums. There was a european dude who had this exactly problem and solved it using a specific brand of thicker fluid.....i think it was valvoline high mileage tranny fluid or something from royal purple. That could be your solution.

But then again, your tranny slips because it is too worn to function with normal new fluid, which would be much thinner than old thicker fluid. If you use old thicker fluid, you won't slip as much, but your drivetrain losses due to added inertia in the transmission would be increased, leading to a slower car and worse fuel economy. This loses you real money over time. So, a rebuilt tranny may be the better alternative here.