Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Service reset

Hi, Does anyone know how to do the service reset on the E89 series, I want to reset the brake fluid service setting.
I tried to do it the same way as my 6 Series but it does not seem to be the same, so can anyone help????
Thank you

Does my bum look good in this !
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Here you go:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Michael

Hi! Many thanks for the details to reset, I tried them but it did not work. I have managed to reset but tried so many permutations until finally it reset with the computer stalk switch on the steering wheel.
I also know that you cannot reset certain items if they are outside a given threshold, ie say 20% before the item is due to be changed, so you cannot reset early........

Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Hi! Many thanks for the details to reset, I tried them but it did not work. I have managed to reset but tried so many permutations until finally it reset with the computer stalk switch on the steering wheel.
I also know that you cannot reset certain items if they are outside a given threshold, ie say 20% before the item is due to be changed, so you cannot reset early........
Interesting. I sent to instructions that I use on my 525 with the thought that they would work on the Z4 as well. So, can you detail your procedure?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Interesting. I sent to instructions that I use on my 525 with the thought that they would work on the Z4 as well. So, can you detail your procedure?
I used the procedure from my 6 series in which I was well versed, tried to see if there were any differences with your right-up, that did not work and then tried the permutations, hence using the button on the stalk, I will go over it again and do a right up....