Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Silver Window Trim - Painted Black?

My '07 Black Sapphire 335 has silver trim around the windows, which is what I see more often than not. I've noticed some 335's that have it black, though. It might be coincidence but I believe the ones that I've seen have all been '09's or newer. Did BMW start painting them black in '09, or are they all custom painted? I really like the way it looks and think I will do mine that way. Here's a pic from a listing that was posted on another thread:

It really gives the car a sportier look, imo.
Ads by Google
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335
If you search for "window trim" you'll find lots of posts on this and "how to's" if you want to change it yourself (look on Bimmerfest and e90post). You can buy replacement window trims in matte and piano black and others sell wraps in various vinyl appliques. You'll also find For Sales from people who have chrome and want black or vice versa.

FWIW, I bought matte black trims from getBMWparts and matte black grills from some place in California. The swap is really easy except for the front doors which require you to remove door panels and the mirrors. With a friend, it took about an hour total. Still trying to move my old chromes...

BMW did switch over from chroime to black on some E9xs but I cannot remember which year/models.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 xi
Psi 5, i also have the chrome and want to purchase the matte black, how much did you pay for both?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaIndy View Post
My '07 Black Sapphire 335 has silver trim around the windows, which is what I see more often than not. I've noticed some 335's that have it black, though. It might be coincidence but I believe the ones that I've seen have all been '09's or newer. Did BMW start painting them black in '09, or are they all custom painted? I really like the way it looks and think I will do mine that way. Here's a pic from a listing that was posted on another thread:

It really gives the car a sportier look, imo.
The black shadowline trim (which came on Msport models standard) is the premium version of black trim. It is a gloss black. It is expensive to replace OEM (around $1,500) and I know of nobody who has it that wants to switch out for chrome.

Black matte trim, which I believe is all plastic/rubber and is standard on many model 328's, is available from the dealer or Tischer for much cheaper (I believe $300 to $400). You might be able to find a trade partner here, although, in my opinion, you are doing so for a downgrade in quality.

The other options are to paint your current trim (search and see recent plasti-dip thread), wrap your current trim yourself in vinyl (many kits, vinyl available on-line - a poster on here said he was going to do it one weekend a few months ago but never responded with pictures or details despite many requests leaving everyone interested to assume it was an unsuccessful attempt), or pay someone to paint or wrap it.

Last edited by boilers93; 04-24-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM
If in doubt...go flat out

Mein Auto: 2011 Space Grey Z4
My Plati Dip thread from last week...$6 to do this

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=plasti

Good Luck- J
Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha13t View Post
Psi 5, i also have the chrome and want to purchase the matte black, how much did you pay for both?
The matte black window trim was (and is) $380 from getbmwparts.com. Click here. Piano black is $745. These prices are for an E90. E91,92,93 are higher.

The matte black grills came from J Levi Street SW and were $45. Click here. You can get piano black grills from BMW but not, for some reason, matte, so I had to go an outside vendor.

Grills installed in about 2 minutes. Over the door trims in about 2 minutes each. Rear doors about 2 minutes each. Front doors 20-30 minutes each. After 2+ years, I can say that all looks good as new - no fading, cracking, peeling, etc. It was not cheap but the look is factory and definitely worth IMO.

See below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4427.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	322265  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilers93 View Post
Black matte trim, which I believe is all plastic/rubber and is standard on many model 328's, is available from the dealer or Tischer for much cheaper (I believe $300 to $400). You might be able to find a trade partner here, although, in my opinion, you are doing so for a downgrade in quality.
A quick comment - many owners report that the standard chrome trim gets splotchy and faded. Mine was showing visible signs of wear and damage at 2+ years old. The matte black replacement trim still looks like new 2+ years later.

YMMV but the black seems to hold up much better than the chrome.