Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Major Peace

Mein Auto: 2003 330 Ci Convertible
Water Pump Pully Tool - Destroyed

I am in the Process of a total overall of my beloved tanning machine.

With the help of you seasoned forum Vets I am tackling jobs that were once completely beyond my ability and may still be so...however I enjoy every minute.

Before you mention the Sledge method. I have hit that wrench in the reverse hammer throw over 65 times (actually 80) with no success. I may lack the necessary determination or force as the Marines say.

I ordered the Schwaben BMW Water Pump Pulley Locking Tool from Sears (which states it fits most BMW engines including my M54) - however the specs do not match my water pump. The holes that should go over the nuts (10mm) are too small they need to be larger in diameter. Can someone tell me which pully tool has the holes that fit over a 11mm nut head. (it can be larger just not smaller). By the way the tool broke so... I am returning it to Sears.

I am considering the Waterpump Fan Pulley Holder El Paso Tool which I will purchase from Ebay.
If you have better
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 325xi ZSP
This is what I bought : http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...%2311-5-030%29

$36, not as cheap as ebay but really solid. I didn't want to risk to buy something cheaper and break it after 2-5 uses.

English is not my first language. Sorry for the mistakes.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Major Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikes007 View Post
This is what I bought : http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...%2311-5-030%29

$36, not as cheap as ebay but really solid. I didn't want to risk to buy something cheaper and break it after 2-5 uses.
Thanks Spikes007. What is the difference between this and the less expensive tools, is it thickness of the iron/steel or the diameter of the holes.

Oh what the heck, I will buy it if it fits my M54 water pully pump. Does it fit over the 10mm nut.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325 Ci
There used to be a link on here on how to make your own tool. All you need is a piece of scrap metal and a drill.

I'm sure it is still in here somewhere
Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325 Ci
here it is

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1381270
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Major Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiubald View Post
There used to be a link on here on how to make your own tool. All you need is a piece of scrap metal and a drill.

I'm sure it is still in here somewhere
Adiubald,

I attempted to drill my own but the metal I had was not quality and broke on the 2nd use.

If I come across a better piece of metal I will attempt.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Are you trying to slip it over the heads of the bolts? The tool bolts directly to the water pump pulley using two pump bolts from the pulley, it doesn't slip over the heads of the bolts.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Major Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Are you trying to slip it over the heads of the bolts? The tool bolts directly to the water pump pulley using two pump bolts from the pulley, it doesn't slip over the heads of the bolts.

What the F*&k. I didn't know that. I broke a perfectly good piece of equipment.

How can you slip the tool over the pump bolts if they are not a Nut and screw. I thought the water pump pully is secured by a one piece bolt with a 10mm head. Am I wrong.

If so I am very embarrassed. The youtube videos that I viewed never showed someone unscrewing the water pump nut.