Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2000
Door key Cylinder DIY Repair W/ pics

Ok, Im making this DIY because there is no other one that i could use help ful except that 30 second long youtube video. This should give you more of an understanding on how the mechanism works and what parts go where. Any questions just hit me up on here.:thumbsup: Difficulty level 4

This is the lock assembly with the every part removed except for the inner sleeve in the barrel and the cylinder itself. IT sounds confusing but when you take it apart and look at the inside you will know what i mean. When you are putting this back together, it is very important to have the grooved slots of the inner barrel on the horizontal sides inside the barrel not top and bottom because if you have is top and bottom then you would put your key in side ways and turn vertical and thats just weird imo. lol

step 2
Place this piece in as follows and make sure it goes all the way in and sits flush on the previous piece. The grooved edges will let you know you have placed the piece in correctly.

It should look like this when ready for next step.

step 3
Depending on what side of the car you are doing, your kit should have came with 2 of the same pieces but look slightly different. If your kit does not tell you what side goes on the right and left then you must put it all together and if it doesnt work, take it apaart and redo with the other piece. (trial and error)
Place this piece in exactly how its pictures..everything will be tight and wont move if done correctly,

This is what it should look like

step 4
Place spring in just like i did in this photo. I re used my old spring because i did not feel like messing with the new spring since it was a tad bit tighter spring.

NOW THE TRICKY PART
step 5
Use a ball point pen to slide the little bent part of the spring clockwise and push down on the spring so it clicks and hold in place

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE AFTER YOU DID THAT

step 6

Take the 3 inch rod and press down on the spring pretty hard and slide the retaining clip on

Final step
Tap the tiny little rod back into the top of the assembly to prevent the retaining clip from comming off.

PUT KEY IN AND TURN, THE SPRING SHOULD MAKE THE KEY RETURN BACK TO THE VERTICAL POSITION IF DONE CORRECTLY, if not you did something wrong, tinker with it and if you have any questions hit me up..thx SHANE

Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM

I forgot to add that I did this with the key out of the cylinder..if you do it with the key in the cylinder it will make all the inside components turn and throw your alignment off. so before you start adding pieces, put the key in and let the prongs on the cyilinder pop into the grooves of the sleeve then remove the key and start rebuilding it. sorry
Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
Nice job!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 AM

thank you..hope it helps
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
Did your clients supply you with the parts? :-)

I'm curious what the indications were that this was necessary. Or did the thing just fall apart?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Iam a bail Bondsman haha..i went to use my key 1 day to unlock my drivers door and boom i heard something break and the key just spun and spun...so i did some research and tore it out and fixed it..i was confused at first but some tinkering did the job...I was bored at my office today and made a DIY lol
Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
I'm sure that will help people in the future to do it. I did it may be a year ? Ago and without that video by the Turkish vendor of the parts I d be SO clueless. The more DIY instructions the better!