Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Buying after lease

Has anyone here bet purchased a BMW after their lease? I'm loving my car and putting a lot of miles on it so I'm throwing the thought of buying it after lease is up.

there won't be many CPO F30 335i's available in 39 months when my lease expires so this influences my thinking. the only other thing that I would be leasing is an Msport 335i if I leased again so it doesn't seem like a bad idea to buy after lease is up .

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I have not done a lease buy out with BMW but we did it with my wife's Acura. The car was a tank and the payoff on the lease was thousands less than what a used one would have cost to buy, not to mention, we knew the entire history of the car so it was kind of a no brainer.

I would say you have plenty of time to think about it. BMW will continue to add features/options to the 3-series to try to entice guys like yourself to turn your car in and lease another one in 3 yrs time so you should just hold tight.

If you do decide to do it, there's nothing special about it, you simply have the option of buying at the residual number in your lease contract... it is normally not negotiable. You can finance this amount or pay cash, etc.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFL335i View Post
Has anyone here bet purchased a BMW after their lease? I'm loving my car and putting a lot of miles on it so I'm throwing the thought of buying it after lease is up.

there won't be many CPO F30 335i's available in 39 months when my lease expires so this influences my thinking. the only other thing that I would be leasing is an Msport 335i if I leased again so it doesn't seem like a bad idea to buy after lease is up .
Some people, like you, do it. One way of thinking about it is like buying a stock option. You bought an option to buy your car at a future date. You paid a premium for the option (the lease finance charge). You can decide to exercise your option or let it expire.

A number of people.do that as a hedge against depreciation. If 2012 F30s experience unusually high depreciation the it's BMWFS problem. If you find later that you don't like the car that much, just give it back. If the car is in a bad wreck and doesn't drive the same as before, give it back.

You have until six months before the end of the lease to decide. Until then if you're over mileage and are going to turn in the car you can buy additional miles at $0.16/mile. If you're going to keep it, it doesn't matter if you exceed the lease mileage. There is no penalty to you.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Good advice from both these guys.