Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Global Software Update - Thoughts on Throttle Delay and more

I thought I'd start a new thread for discussions for those of you who have gotten the comprehensive update. As you probably have read from this thread and this thread there are SIB's covering throttle response as well as idle quality that are out for installation. This update package is significant in that it is a global update of all modules, and will affect your car no matter what you bring it in for.

I wanted to post my thoughts on the results, as well as have people list some of the "hidden" findings that this software update has addressed.

First, the interesting:

MPG text under the MPG meter is now blue, not white during daytime and orange at night.

TJ Park notes slight variations while using radio functions in iDrive

I notice that when selecting various shortcuts, they work correctly from the start. For instance, in the past, pressing the shortcut for "Satellite Replay" would bring up a main Sat Radio screen, not the replay controls.

More important things:

1. Twice today I have had the occasion to start my car during what I would term as the prime time for the rough idle; that is 1-2 hours after shutting the car down. Both times the car started and idled perfectly.

2. Idle overall seems a bit smoother.

3. Throttle control is notably more smooth when taking off. There is no "hole" when applying the throttle like before. The car is much easier to pull away from a stop

4. Throttle response when cruising in normal traffic is FAR improved. I need to re calibrate my foot as I am used to stabbing hard to make the car respond. Now, all you need to do is apply throttle normally. It's still turbocharged, so there is a bit of that type of lag, but the throttle is instantly applied.

5. Steering. This was my biggest surprise. The steering is MUCH better than before. At first, I wasn't sure if it was my brain needing to re calibrate after driving the 328 loaner, which has very light steering that has a very fast ratio and zero slop at the top dead center. However after driving for the better part of two days and about 100 miles, I can say the steering is definitely affected. First of all, it's firmer over all. I'd say it's not quite as weighty as the old sport mode, but almost. Second of all, it seems quicker to react. I'm not sure how this is possible given the fact that the rack is the same, but it seems to have less of a dead spot on center, and seems to be a little more precise in it's inputs. Crazy.

Anyone else with observations?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Ads by Google
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
I wonder how much the steering will be affected on the Xi models, if any. I plan on getting this update done soon.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Does this effect XI models? I thought XI models doestnt have electronic steering like I models.
Not sure but there is significant difference in steering from the ones i have test drove to the one i am driving...

and by the way the throttle delay is still present in 2012 models ... Yes my car does have it but it is in acceptable range...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Does this effect XI models? I thought XI models doestnt have electronic steering like I models.
Not sure but there is significant difference in steering from the ones i have test drove to the one i am driving...

and by the way the throttle delay is still present in 2012 models ... Yes my car does have it but it is in acceptable range...
xDrive cars do have hydraulic steering.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM

One observation I have regarding delays, lucrhing, etc. I still have an issue with making a rolling stop. However it is very clear that the issue stems from the transmission deciding to downshift halfway through your throttle application. It is still rough, but fees very different than before.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Needs, thanks for posting this. Subscribed.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I thought I'd start a new thread for discussions for those of you who have gotten the comprehensive update. As you probably have read from this thread and this thread there are SIB's covering throttle response as well as idle quality that are out for installation. This update package is significant in that it is a global update of all modules, and will affect your car no matter what you bring it in for.

I wanted to post my thoughts on the results, as well as have people list some of the "hidden" findings that this software update has addressed.

First, the interesting:

MPG text under the MPG meter is now blue, not white during daytime and orange at night.

TJ Park notes slight variations while using radio functions in iDrive

I notice that when selecting various shortcuts, they work correctly from the start. For instance, in the past, pressing the shortcut for "Satellite Replay" would bring up a main Sat Radio screen, not the replay controls.

More important things:

1. Twice today I have had the occasion to start my car during what I would term as the prime time for the rough idle; that is 1-2 hours after shutting the car down. Both times the car started and idled perfectly.

3. Throttle control is notably more smooth when taking off. There is no "hole" when applying the throttle like before. The car is much easier to pull away from a stop

4. Throttle response when cruising in normal traffic is FAR improved. I need to re calibrate my foot as I am used to stabbing hard to make the car respond. Now, all you need to do is apply throttle normally. It's still turbocharged, so there is a bit of that type of lag, but the throttle is instantly applied.

5. Steering. This was my biggest surprise. The steering is MUCH better than before. At first, I wasn't sure if it was my brain needing to re calibrate after driving the 328 loaner, which has very light steering that has a very fast ratio and zero slop at the top dead center. However after driving for the better part of two days and about 100 miles, I can say the steering is definitely affected. First of all, it's firmer over all. I'd say it's not quite as weighty as the old sport mode, but almost. Second of all, it seems quicker to react. I'm not sure how this is possible given the fact that the rack is the same, but it seems to have less of a dead spot on center, and seems to be a little more precise in it's inputs. Crazy.

Anyone else with observations?
Is there a particular SIB I should reference if I go to the dealer? I wonder if this would have an effect on my car even though it is 6mt and I don't really notice any of the throttle delay.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
I just got my software upgrade. Will pick up tomorrow morning and will post results this weekend.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
TJ understated how nice and well behaved the car is in city traffic now. However, you do have to reset your home time zone. Could this be an indicator that the clock will self adjust at the end of daylight savings time? Time will tell.

Since mine is an xi yes there is a bit of difference in the steering. Not as big as the electric guys are reporting but a change none-the-less. The change feels like a bit more boost at low speeds making the final return to center just that little bit quicker and making the car easier to toss if needed. Otherwise just straight and true and hardly noticeable. Still looking for other things.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
And the number of the SIB is...?
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Familienwappen

I don't get the nice BMW diagnostic computer printouts from my dealer that some of the others get, here's a copy of what my final bill said.

"
CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A HESITATION ON ACCELERATION SEE
HISTORY
VEHICLE WILL ALSO SURGE
DME AND EGS SOFTWARE
REPROGRAMMED CAR WITH VERSION 46.3 PER B. 24 02 12
"

But by the way the car is behaving got a lot more programmed than is stated on the bill.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60050 View Post
Is there a particular SIB I should reference if I go to the dealer? I wonder if this would have an effect on my car even though it is 6mt and I don't really notice any of the throttle delay.
The SIB is linked in the thread I posted above. Your car is not eligible for it.

If you search for threads under my name, you will see the SIB for the uneven idle. That should apply to your car.

YOU NEED TO DESCRIBE THE SYMPTOMS IN THE SIB, NOT JUST WALK IN AND ASK TO HAVE SIB APPLIED.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
And the number of the SIB is...?
Follow the links I posted in the first post of this thread.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
I don't get the nice BMW diagnostic computer printouts from my dealer that some of the others get, here's a copy of what my final bill said.

"
CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A HESITATION ON ACCELERATION SEE
HISTORY
VEHICLE WILL ALSO SURGE
DME AND EGS SOFTWARE
REPROGRAMMED CAR WITH VERSION 46.3 PER B. 24 02 12
"

But by the way the car is behaving got a lot more programmed than is stated on the bill.
I posted the meat of the full SIB's in the linked threads above. In summary, they state that these updates are global, and will "update all modules with an applicable update".

Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Is this just for 535i or also for 550i?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Is this just for 535i or also for 550i?
N55 and N52 engines only within a certain production date, not necessarily the F10.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
N55 and N52 engines only within a certain production date, not necessarily the F10.
Intersting. I was interested in the non ECU related elements of this update (steering, blue text, etc.)

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Intersting. I was interested in the non ECU related elements of this update (steering, blue text, etc.)
If it aint broke...
N63 hasn't been plagued with this, so I'd leave well enough alone.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:

I didn't drive the car today but, there was a thread on Edmunds about waste-gate rattles on start up on the N55 Maybe they did something for this and that is what you're feeling?
2012 BMW X3: Wastegate Rattle
Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I didn't drive the car today but, there was a thread on Edmunds about waste-gate rattles on start up on the N55 Maybe they did something for this and that is what you're feeling?
2012 BMW X3: Wastegate Rattle
Maybe. I have that tell tale rattle. I haven't listened for it.

But my idle issues were not aural, they war RPM related and also caused vibration.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Any chance ya'll could start referring to cars as 528, 535 & 550 instead of "N55" etc. Not everyone knows what those means. I looked all over my car and the only thing I see it called is a "550".

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
hmm, sounds like they should put a label on the car these days with all the things they can change via a firmware update.

"Warning, your driving experience may change after service"

It's getting as bad as computer programs...I wonder when they will make us accept a new 5 page EULA (End User License Agreement) agreement after every oil change before being allowed to start the car.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Familienwappen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
...I wonder when they will make us accept a new 5 page EULA (End User License Agreement) agreement after every oil change before being allowed to start the car.
+1 Or perhaps an update to the OM.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Any chance ya'll could start referring to cars as 528, 535 & 550 instead of "N55" etc. Not everyone knows what those means. I looked all over my car and the only thing I see it called is a "550".

Thanks.
Because the SIB applies to specific car engines, i.e. N52 and N55, and not car models. Your 550i has an N63 engine, so you are not affected.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
Since I've had my F10 entirely reprogrammed for a suspension issue, i've noticed after a prolonged highay drive the throttle is epscially touch after a slow dow due to traffic and driving conditions.

My ECU was flashed due to BMW's faulty F10 suspension programs and do have the updated display.

It lags and dogs when pulling out into intersections after highway travlel. i have to think this is a program problem. looks like anothe ECU flash probem--works fine on the highway but when you slow down for a few miles then need to apply the throttle it boggs down considerable. I can't see this being a noramally apsirated engine problem. The engine bucks after being driven on the highway, then being driven at ~45-50 mph on highway roads. Then when you come to a stop, then start out to a neck-snapping 40-45mph, it is rediculous.... is this a BMW or a KIA?