Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Global Software Update - Thoughts on Throttle Delay and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Mine had SAT and delayed terribly. Makes no difference. SAT does not actually make it shift faster despite BMW's claims and people saying it's the best $500 they spent. It's a joke.
Are you talking about off the line delay or delayed response while underway? Two different things.

I also disagree with your assessment. I do not have SAT and whenever I drive an SAT car, you can feel the difference. Also, I had a long talk with the BMW field engineer who we drove with, and he acknowledged that BMW had issues with the standard programming, but that in sport mode or with the SAT, there were far fewer complaints. The deal is that the engineers cannot program the compromise between sport and luxury with the regular transmission. They have a hard time getting it right. With the SAT they make it more aggressive and don't have as many issues.

He also told me that they have stopped trying new software in the normal auto, that the complaint level has dropped low enough that they see it as within acceptable tolerance.
Needless to say this was extremely disheartening. He didn't let loose all of this information until after I mad him drive my car back to back with a 2013 off the lot and it had the same issue. Before that he told me "I see the behavior you mention, but BMW considers that to be normal".

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeofrosty View Post
Needs, do you have the SAT? I'm wondering if people whose cars have the SAT fared better here than those without it?
No. SAT much better with the off the line issue.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
He also told me that they have stopped trying new software in the normal auto, that the complaint level has dropped low enough that they see it as within acceptable tolerance.
Needless to say this was extremely disheartening. He didn't let loose all of this information until after I mad him drive my car back to back with a 2013 off the lot and it had the same issue. Before that he told me "I see the behavior you mention, but BMW considers that to be normal".

So, in other words; we designed it to be horrible and irritating, and it is....just like we intended.
That's one heck of a statement for a car company like BMW to make and stand behind.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
So, in other words; we designed it to be horrible and irritating, and it is....just like we intended.
That's one heck of a statement for a car company like BMW to make and stand behind.
Not quite that harsh.

The car has many adaptive parameters. Combine that with certain driving styles and situations, and different levels of driver awareness, and someone is bound to complain about SOMETHING. That's why BMW focuses on the complaint rate. Obviously many people could give a fig and think it drives fine.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Are you talking about off the line delay or delayed response while underway? Two different things.

I also disagree with your assessment. I do not have SAT and whenever I drive an SAT car, you can feel the difference. Also, I had a long talk with the BMW field engineer who we drove with, and he acknowledged that BMW had issues with the standard programming, but that in sport mode or with the SAT, there were far fewer complaints. The deal is that the engineers cannot program the compromise between sport and luxury with the regular transmission. They have a hard time getting it right. With the SAT they make it more aggressive and don't have as many issues.

Off the line delay. Luckily I dont have an F10 anymore or else I'd say you could try it and feel the lag. Maybe the new ones are fixed? I doubt it
Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
While it may not be as "crisp" as it was the day I picked the car up after having the update done, the throttle response is still 90% better than it was before the update. Response is much more predictable and consistent. This is in "normal" mode. "Sport" mode was never an issue for me with lag.
Yes, I would say it's marginally acceptable. It's more drive-able now in normal mode, but it's still not what I'd expect from a BMW. I feel the car still "thinks" too much when I drive in normal mode. I think it's trying too hard to learn what I'm trying to do and adapt to my style.

When I floor the pedal on the first try, it usually does not do much right away. It kicks down maybe a gear (pretty much useless). If you hold it down long enough, it will shift again and the RPM shoots up. After it gets going, the car sort of "wakes up" and will respond (kick down a few more gears) much faster in the subsequent stomps at the pedal. It's like the the adrenaline has kicked in and it knows you need it quick. And if you continue stomping it, it starts to gets crazy and tries to hold the RPMs high as if I'm on a race track. Great, BUT I JUST NEEDED THAT KICK DOWN AT THE FIRST STOMP AT THE PEDAL.

Yes, sports mode is much more responsive, but the high RPM holding is retarded.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Off the line delay. Luckily I dont have an F10 anymore or else I'd say you could try it and feel the lag. Maybe the new ones are fixed? I doubt it
The 2013 I tested was not fixed.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535xi m sport
Pardon my ignorance but what is SAT ?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinfantryguy View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is SAT ?
Sport Automatic Transmission. If you have paddle shifters behind your steering wheel, you have SAT. No paddles = regular transmission.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 528
Steering wheel vibration

Has anyone noticed a light vibration in the steering wheel when idling after the software update?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Are there different software updates for different years? This topic and issue has been discussed since the introduction of the F10. We now have almost 4 years under our belt.

Btw, I find my "delay" and "tip-in" acceptable after my last update in 2012. I don't find it any issue any more. If I anticipate that I will need power, I instantly slap it into DS. Unfortunately I have to do this maybe half a dozen times every time I drive -_-

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I just purchased an '11 535i certified preowned and I've noticed it has this hesitation/delay issue. I researched the problem and found the thread about SIB 12 9 11. So i just dropped the car off at service and told my SA about this SIB. Now that I'm doing more research on the issue I found out about this one SIB 24 2 12. My SA says that bulliten refers to a transmission issue not what I described. He did say that either way they will connect my car to the computer and do any software upgrade needed.
Considering he's specifically looking into sib 12 9 11, so you guys think I'll get the most recent all around/ global update?

Thanks, -Anthony
Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 AM

BTW, my production date is 1/11
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I just purchased an '11 535i certified preowned and I've noticed it has this hesitation/delay issue. I researched the problem and found the thread about SIB 12 9 11. So i just dropped the car off at service and told my SA about this SIB. Now that I'm doing more research on the issue I found out about this one SIB 24 2 12. My SA says that bulliten refers to a transmission issue not what I described. He did say that either way they will connect my car to the computer and do any software upgrade needed.
Considering he's specifically looking into sib 12 9 11, so you guys think I'll get the most recent all around/ global update?

Thanks, -Anthony
Yes. I'm sure they will give you the latest and "greatest" version that they have. Just don't expect it 100% solved though.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
My 2011 has been driving perfect after I got the latest and greatest firmware update in 2012. Keep us posted with how your update goes.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:36 AM

So I got the car back and apparently got the newest software update. I had sw f010-10-09-525 which came originally withthe car. I was told I now have f010-13-11-504.

As far as feel, I only owned the car for 3 days prior to dropping it off for the software update. So I'm may not be the best judge of change. I still feel a slight hesitation on takeoff, but now I'm thinking it is the turbo lag since I don't feel a huge improvement from prior to the SW upgrade.

One thing that bothers me though is that after the SW upgrade, my mpg light is still orange, not blue like most of you have reported. I do have the light orange stripe above the mpg bar, but idk if that was there prior to the upgrade. I just want to make sure that I got the upgrade...any other way to tell? Perhaps early f10's don't have a change in mpg color with the update?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
So I got the car back and apparently got the newest software update. I had sw f010-10-09-525 which came originally withthe car. I was told I now have f010-13-11-504.

As far as feel, I only owned the car for 3 days prior to dropping it off for the software update. So I'm may not be the best judge of change. I still feel a slight hesitation on takeoff, but now I'm thinking it is the turbo lag since I don't feel a huge improvement from prior to the SW upgrade.

One thing that bothers me though is that after the SW upgrade, my mpg light is still orange, not blue like most of you have reported. I do have the light orange stripe above the mpg bar, but idk if that was there prior to the upgrade. I just want to make sure that I got the upgrade...any other way to tell? Perhaps early f10's don't have a change in mpg color with the update?

Have you tried taking off in sports mode (shift lever pushed left)? Does it hesitate?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
One thing that bothers me though is that after the SW upgrade, my mpg light is still orange, not blue like most of you have reported. I do have the light orange stripe above the mpg bar, but idk if that was there prior to the upgrade.
MPG should be orange; the blue bar is only in the 'battery' area - on the LEFT.

On my 2011 - built July 2010 - the blue battery area was on the RIGHT.

I compared photos from last week and August 2010.

The switcharoo confused me too.

BMW CCA # 493835
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
MPG should be orange; the blue bar is only in the 'battery' area - on the LEFT.

On my 2011 - built July 2010 - the blue battery area was on the RIGHT.

I compared photos from last week and August 2010.

The switcharoo confused me too.
it changes sides when you change the measure units of the gasoline consumption (from km/lt to lt/100km for example) on the settings menu. I coded my car the other day, and I did just noticed that change too....
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
The Fuel Consumption / Energy Recovery bar display changes when you FDL Code KOMBI => EDA_ENABLE = aktiv, which is the default setting beginning with 0312 production.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips