Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-27-2012, 05:05 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Any chance ya'll could start referring to cars as 528, 535 & 550 instead of "N55" etc. Not everyone knows what those means. I looked all over my car and the only thing I see it called is a "550".

Thanks.
As noted above, it is cross platform. In the context of this forum, sure.

It affects 2011 528's and 2011-2012 535's within the given production range.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
Since I've had my F10 entirely reprogrammed for a suspension issue, i've noticed after a prolonged highay drive the throttle is epscially touch after a slow dow due to traffic and driving conditions.

My ECU was flashed due to BMW's faulty F10 suspension programs and do have the updated display.

It lags and dogs when pulling out into intersections after highway travlel. i have to think this is a program problem. looks like anothe ECU flash probem--works fine on the highway but when you slow down for a few miles then need to apply the throttle it boggs down considerable. I can't see this being a noramally apsirated engine problem. The engine bucks after being driven on the highway, then being driven at ~45-50 mph on highway roads. Then when you come to a stop, then start out to a neck-snapping 40-45mph, it is rediculous.... is this a BMW or a KIA?
Surprising. This is the exact behavior my car previously exhibited which has now been cured by this software.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
As noted above, it is cross platform. In the context of this forum, sure.

It affects 2011 528's and 2011-2012 535's within the given production range.
Thanks. I understand your point now that you put it like that. I have finally remembered that I have an F10 (I think ) but I'm still new to BMWs. On the Corvette forum I can keep up...I know exactly what LS1, LS1, LS6, LS7, LS9, LSx etc are and I'm sure I'll get there with the BMWs.

Thanks again
Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Because the SIB applies to specific car engines, i.e. N52 and N55, and not car models. Your 550i has an N63 engine, so you are not affected.
Thanks from another Houstonian. But to say I am not affected is not really true. My car does exactly what is being described in these threads. I hope to heck that BMW does not believe mine is not effected because they would have a hard time convincing my right foot that its not.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks from another Houstonian. But to say I am not affected is not really true. My car does exactly what is being described in these threads. I hope to heck that BMW does not believe mine is not effected because they would have a hard time convincing my right foot that its not.
What it means in BMW speak is that this particular software upgrade is only for the N55 (turbo 6) and N52 (n/a 6) engines. Your N63 (turbo 8) does not have an update package.

Whether that's because they are working on it or don't think they need to is a whole different kettle of fish.

And yes, you have an F10.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
The more I think about it I have a disconnect with the concept of the "adaptive transmission" learning your driving habits (if this really happens).

So I drive like an old lady taking my son to school and through the carpool line ....... then I want to step it up when alone in the car on the next leg of my journey.

Which driving behavior does the transmission learn?

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Needs if you go into the vehicle info menu and go to the screen when you can check the oil and service requirements. I have noticed that a lot of the service requirements have changed. The dates are the same, but the front and rear brake mileage have been adjusted. The Oil change interval previously stated 14k miles or 2 years, now says 9k miles or 2 years (had oil changed and light reset last month by dealer).
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Needs if you go into the vehicle info menu and go to the screen when you can check the oil and service requirements. I have noticed that a lot of the service requirements have changed. The dates are the same, but the front and rear brake mileage have been adjusted. The Oil change interval previously stated 14k miles or 2 years, now says 9k miles or 2 years (had oil changed and light reset last month by dealer).
I noticed this as well.

My rear brakes were calling for replacement in 1,700 miles. Now it says 2,900 miles.

I didn't notice what the oil was before.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
The more I think about it I have a disconnect with the concept of the "adaptive transmission" learning your driving habits (if this really happens).

So I drive like an old lady taking my son to school and through the carpool line ....... then I want to step it up when alone in the car on the next leg of my journey.

Which driving behavior does the transmission learn?
THANK YOU! I have been saying that for years. I thought that's what our right foot was in control of. If I want to drive at a moderate pace, I don't push down the pedal as far. If I want to air it out, I push down hard on the pedal.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
THANK YOU! I have been saying that for years. I thought that's what our right foot was in control of. If I want to drive at a moderate pace, I don't push down the pedal as far. If I want to air it out, I push down hard on the pedal.
I think adaptive was actually more useful a while ago, when cars had less controls. Now seemingly every car has some form of "Sport" mode, which stiffens shifts, changes throttle, etc.

That, combined with almost full manual control via levers or paddles on many cars has made the adaptive feature redundant, and almost a hindrance.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Good thread. Thanks for posting it. Apparently my dealer (Autobahn Motors of Fort Worth) doesn't do this upgrade to inventory cars. I test drove a brand new 535i yesterday and the hesitation was terrible. From a standing stop, you press the pedal down and after about 3/4 of a second it takes off. When cruising at 30 MPH, you press the throttle down about halfway and the car sits there and thinks about it for 3/4 of a second, downshifts, and takes off. Very disappointing. Would love to have seen this car upgraded with the new software and driven it again to observe the difference. I had a discussion with the salesman when I got back and reported the results and he said the hesitation is there on all of them but you can reduce it "some" by driving in Sport mode. It would be a great car if they get this problem fixed because it takes all the joy out of driving it for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: Serpent S966
Quote:
Best way to find out is to hook your car up to the programming computer. Make sure they have loaded the latest platlfom core program (Ispi Version 3.00.43). You will then be able to see what updates module available to your specific car. You can also adjust other parameter not available in Idrive, such as 'deactivate driver seat or front passenger seat belt reminder', 'Oil maintance interval values', 'air condition not on with AUTO operation', and a lot other thing.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Noticed another thing....nav display on the small display panel is different. I will now give me the more generic turn arrow with direction to turn (the big white ones) a lot sooner, especially on lower speed roads. Kind of nice. When I get closer, it will give me the more detailed turn diagram.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Does anybody know how long it actually takes to program? I dropped mine off at ~8AM and it's 11:20AM now. I just got an email saying that the programming is complete and I'm a bit skeptical that they actually did it.

Q
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Does anybody know how long it actually takes to program? I dropped mine off at ~8AM and it's 11:20AM now. I just got an email saying that the programming is complete and I'm a bit skeptical that they actually did it.

Q
That seems pretty fast.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Seems like there is enough visual changes that you could confirm the update prior to leaving the dealer.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Point taken.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Picked up my car this morning, and after driving it all day I can say that if I had to describe the changes in 2 words, I would say: LUXURIOUS ACCELERATION.

That is the most noticeable change for me. It accelerates smoothly, with no jolts, no rush, just goes in a very elegant and refined way. The way a 5 series should accelerate.

Also, as well as others have said, I feel like the steering is a little heavier, has a much better on-center feeling and just feels better overall.

I don't know if it may just be the placebo effect, but overall, the car feels nicer, more refined. Well worth it.

One way you may be able to tell the upgrade was done, is a someone else noticed, that the time zone was changed to +1 (German time).

Other than that, since my car was a 2012 already, the display didn't change at all. Everything looks just as it did before the update. And on the service papers it clearly says that they did the software update.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Picked up my car this morning, and after driving it all day I can say that if I had to describe the changes in 2 words, I would say: LUXURIOUS ACCELERATION.

That is the most noticeable change for me. It accelerates smoothly, with no jolts, no rush, just goes in a very elegant and refined way. The way a 5 series should accelerate.

Also, as well as others have said, I feel like the steering is a little heavier, has a much better on-center feeling and just feels better overall.

I don't know if it may just be the placebo effect, but overall, the car feels nicer, more refined. Well worth it.

One way you may be able to tell the upgrade was done, is a someone else noticed, that the time zone was changed to +1 (German time).

Other than that, since my car was a 2012 already, the display didn't change at all. Everything looks just as it did before the update. And on the service papers it clearly says that they did the software update.
Awesome.

It's not just you. My wife made a comment tonight that the car was driving smoother....and she was only riding, not driving!

Not surprised that your display didn't change.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 PM

The "point to the destination after ending guidance" arrow is still there with nav.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Great thread.

I do not have throttle delay. I do not have rough idle anymore (used to have it).

I'm more interested in the steering improvement. What should I tell my dealer?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I just got my software upgrade. Will pick up tomorrow morning and will post results this weekend.
Alex - I think we got our cars about the same time. I did not realize software updates were necessary for cars delivered as late as October 2011, so I'm very interested to hear your review.
2012 535i: Jet Black; Oyster and Black Nappa Leather; Dark wood trim; M Sport Package; Premium Sound Package; Technology Package; Premium Package; Active Roll Stabilization; Sport automatic transmission; Head-up Display; Power rear sunshade; Split fold-down-rear seat; BMW Apps; Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEnMan View Post
Alex - I think we got our cars about the same time. I did not realize software updates were necessary for cars delivered as late as October 2011, so I'm very interested to hear your review.
Look at your production date. It's for cars built through January 2012.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i
Quote:
Look at your production date. It's for cars built through January 2012.
Thanks, I will definitely look into this.
2012 535i: Jet Black; Oyster and Black Nappa Leather; Dark wood trim; M Sport Package; Premium Sound Package; Technology Package; Premium Package; Active Roll Stabilization; Sport automatic transmission; Head-up Display; Power rear sunshade; Split fold-down-rear seat; BMW Apps; Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
MPG text under the MPG meter is now blue, not white during daytime and orange at night.
Do you mean just the words "Efficient Dynamics" under the mpg blue scale part? My text has been blue since day 1, 9/17/2010. Al Boston (I think) also thought his mpg meter changed, with "new" hash marks and a beveled orange-red meter line in night driving. He never noticed that it was always there from the beginning. You sure yours really changed?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm