Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The "point to the destination after ending guidance" arrow is still there with nav.
Do you want to get rid of it? I recall you can uncheck a box in the navigation display options.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
The instant MPG arm in the LCD area used to be solid red and solid blue in the brake regen area. They're still the same color except the red now has an orange highlight at the top and the blue has a light blue highlight. The peak of the blue section now has an arrow tip at the end. I recall it being squared off before. I also don't recall the white dividing lines running through the red bar section. The font and size of the numbers seems different as well.

My phone (EVO 4G) seems to connect faster and with less audible indications from the phone. 1-2 sounds now as opposed to 5 before.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddius View Post
The instant MPG arm in the LCD area used to be solid red and solid blue in the brake regen area. They're still the same color except the red now has an orange highlight at the top and the blue has a light blue highlight. The peak of the blue section now has an arrow tip at the end. I recall it being squared off before. I also don't recall the white dividing lines running through the red bar section. The font and size of the numbers seems different as well.
Nope, always like that. The orange highlight is like a "bevel" on the line only in night mode. The blue "arrow" always had an arrow tip. The "tick" marks have always been there. Some of you guys are thinking you are noticing something new. I posted photos some time ago in response to Al Boston (I think) who got a s/w upgrade and thought these things. I have an August 2010 535i and never had a s/w upgrade, and my mpg meter is as you describe. Again, compare the night and day modes of the display.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Do you mean just the words "Efficient Dynamics" under the mpg blue scale part? My text has been blue since day 1, 9/17/2010. Al Boston (I think) also thought his mpg meter changed, with "new" hash marks and a beveled orange-red meter line in night driving. He never noticed that it was always there from the beginning. You sure yours really changed?
No, the "MPG" on the other end of the scale.

I looked at some videos I had taken when trying to capture my idle issues, and it was white,not blue.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Nope, always like that. The orange highlight is like a "bevel" on the line only in night mode. The blue "arrow" always had an arrow tip. The "tick" marks have always been there. Some of you guys are thinking you are noticing something new. I posted photos some time ago in response to Al Boston (I think) who got a s/w upgrade and thought these things. I have an August 2010 535i and never had a s/w upgrade, and my mpg meter is as you describe. Again, compare the night and day modes of the display.
The orange highlight is now there during the day as well. It's definitely different. Based on the old posts, I made sure to note this before the update.

BTW, the "tip" on the end of the blue meter has always been there as well. Hint, hint, picture a AA battery and you'll realize it's not a arrow.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The orange highlight is now there during the day as well. It's definitely different. Based on the old posts, I made sure to note this before the update.

BTW, the "tip" on the end of the blue meter has always been there as well. Hint, hint, picture a AA battery and you'll realize it's not a arrow.
I'm not disagreeing about the blue tip. Hard to believe they would go to the effort of changing a secondary display characteristic for a software update. You sure about that orange/red line -- even in bright day? Remember, the display will switch to "night" under bridges, etc. You don't have a solid red mpg line during the day? My "mpg" text always was and is still blue, never had a s/w update since 8/2010.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I'm not disagreeing about the blue tip. Hard to believe they would go to the effort of changing a secondary display characteristic for a software update. You sure about that orange/red line -- even in bright day? Remember, the display will switch to "night" under bridges, etc. You don't have a solid red mpg line during the day?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0465a_med.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	322770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0465_med.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	322773  

Last edited by markl53; 04-28-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing about the blue tip. Hard to believe they would go to the effort of changing a secondary display characteristic for a software update. You sure about that orange/red line -- even in bright day? Remember, the display will switch to "night" under bridges, etc. You don't have a solid red mpg line during the day?
See, your MPG is red. Mine is blue, even with the orange lighting.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 AM

I happened to take a picture of the odometer on the way to the service appointment as it was turning 25k miles. Unfortunately, the 25k mile shots were blurry as hell.

Before: note the lack of orange highlight on the bar, and the MPG is in white, not light blue:

After, daytime. Note the MPG is now light blue during the day, not white, and blue at night, not red as yours is. Also, note the distinctive orange highlight during the day. If I was driving, you'd see the highlight on the blue bar as well.

After, nighttime.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Yes! I knew the orange highlight looked different on my car after I had it updated in Feb. Now I wonder if mine has the latest update. I'll look for the blue mpg on mine.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I happened to take a picture of the odometer on the way to the service appointment as it was turning 25k miles. Unfortunately, the 25k mile shots were blurry as hell.
OK, enough ..... "UNCLE" (LOL). I wonder if they do this type of thing also for easy verification of what version you run, like XP SP2 changed the initial startup "moving" status bar from green to blue.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 PM

LOL, I wasn't trying to beat you into submission. These things are so subtle, sometimes I wonder if I'm seeing things or not...

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Before: note the lack of orange highlight on the bar, and the MPG is in white, not light blue:

After, daytime. Note the MPG is now light blue during the day, not white, and blue at night, not red as yours is. Also, note the distinctive orange highlight during the day. If I was driving, you'd see the highlight on the blue bar as well.

After, nighttime.

This is really strange. I have a Januray 2012 build 535i. My mpg and efficient dynamics has the orange and blue colors just like yours does now. Except the order is the exact opposite. 0 mpg strarts just after th 7k redline on the tach and moves from right to left to 40 mpg and the efficient dynamics ends with the blue battery icon just before 0 on the tach. I took a picture and it looks that way too, so I know it isn't some inverse camera image thing. Another difference between the 2011 and 2012?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
This is really strange. I have a Januray 2012 build 535i. My mpg and efficient dynamics has the orange and blue colors just like yours does now. Except the order is the exact opposite. 0 mpg strarts just after th 7k redline on the tach and moves from right to left to 40 mpg and the efficient dynamics ends with the blue battery icon just before 0 on the tach. I took a picture and it looks that way too, so I know it isn't some inverse camera image thing. Another difference between the 2011 and 2012?
You, my friend, must be living in a parallel universe! duh-duh-duh-duh (Twilight Zone music).

Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You, my friend, must be living in a parallel universe! duh-duh-duh-duh (Twilight Zone music).
I will post a pic a little later. But I have always known I was special
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
T Another difference between the 2011 and 2012?
Yes, the 2012's are reversed, across the range. Dunno why.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Are My MPG and Efficient Dynamics Opposite of Yours?

Quote:
A pic from the parallel universe. To repeat, my car is a Jan 2012 build. No software updates.
Note from my mileage that I am still in break-in period. Ya think it shifts at 1200 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	322820  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
My 2012 used to go from left to right. Now, after the update, it goes from right to left, with the Efficient Dynamics below the 0 on the tach.

I guess we will realize more changes happened the more we look for them.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
My 2012 used to go from left to right. Now, after the update, it goes from right to left, with the Efficient Dynamics below the 0 on the tach.

I guess we will realize more changes happened the more we look for them.
Well, then I guess my car must have the most recent firmware, as my Efficient Dynamics is just below 0 on the tach.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Mark, I want to nominate you to be the one to have the next software upgrade on your car.

Assessing the effects with your diligent and careful questioning style will advance this topic immensely!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Does anyone know if the software update addresses "pulling to the right" issues?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Mark, I want to nominate you to be the one to have the next software upgrade on your car.

Assessing the effects with your diligent and careful questioning style will advance this topic immensely!
Not sure if you're serious or "giving me grief", LOL. I think I have to "stand corrected" with this one though, since according to our buddy, Needsdecaf, he has a continous double-color red/orange mpg line. I'm actually afraid to have any s/w updates to my car. I don't have any real issues, other than the annoying shift delay from an almost dead stop in D mode. I just went in for an oil change and I thought they were going to force an update, but alas, I'm still running virgin s/w!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Not sure if you're serious or "giving me grief", LOL. I think I have to "stand corrected" with this one though, since according to our buddy, Needsdecaf, he has a continous double-color red/orange mpg line. I'm actually afraid to have any s/w updates to my car. I don't have any real issues, other than the annoying shift delay from an almost dead stop in D mode. I just went in for an oil change and I thought they were going to force an update, but alas, I'm still running virgin s/w!
I'm very serious!

You and I both have early builds (I'm 07/24/2010) and have not reported the various issues that have dogged many. I don't dismiss given the volume of reports particularly the hesitation on acceleration resumption.

I'm not due for the next oil change / service til July at what will be 2 years / 18,000 miles. Have had no need for warranty repairs with the car since the Roflats and a malfunctioning rear view camera were replaced immediately after delivery in late 2010.

Yet the lure of new software has me intrigued and I fall into the camp of early adopters that like to have the latest.

Having said that I just erased Window 8 from my laptop

Seriously, I'd rather you try the update first before me!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-28-2012, 07:32 PM

OK, so 4 days later and I can say, this thing is like a new car.

There is a road fairly near my house that I travel on a semi-frequent basis. It is a major shortcut to get to the beltway, but like most major shortcuts through residential areas, this one's been treated with about a dozen speed bumps over it's 1.5 mile length. Plus, there are 3 or 4 stop signs as well.

Previously, the throttle delay made this journey a total nightmare in my car. I had actually resorted to shifting through the entire run in manual, gears 1-3, sometimes 1-4. This was the only way to avoid the herkey jerkies.

Driving through tonight, all was smooth. Pulling away from every stop felt like a revelation. It was amazing how much of a difference there was. My wife commented that it was a huge improvement.

Overall, this is a winner.

Now, for one caveat.

MAKE SURE TO SAVE YOUR PROFILE BEFORE YOU ALLOW THEM TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE!

I am still trying to figure out where I had my seat and it's driving me totally nuts!!!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I'm very serious!

You and I both have early builds (I'm 07/24/2010) and have not reported the various issues that have dogged many. !
My car is a 4/2010 build.