Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
I just ordered my 2012 535i and had it delivered in March...so it was built very recently. Will this update make a difference for me or should it already have the update?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
OK, so 4 days later and I can say, this thing is like a new car.

There is a road fairly near my house that I travel on a semi-frequent basis. It is a major shortcut to get to the beltway, but like most major shortcuts through residential areas, this one's been treated with about a dozen speed bumps over it's 1.5 mile length. Plus, there are 3 or 4 stop signs as well.

Previously, the throttle delay made this journey a total nightmare in my car. I had actually resorted to shifting through the entire run in manual, gears 1-3, sometimes 1-4. This was the only way to avoid the herkey jerkies.

Driving through tonight, all was smooth. Pulling away from every stop felt like a revelation. It was amazing how much of a difference there was. My wife commented that it was a huge improvement.

Overall, this is a winner.

Now, for one caveat.

MAKE SURE TO SAVE YOUR PROFILE BEFORE YOU ALLOW THEM TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE!

I am still trying to figure out where I had my seat and it's driving me totally nuts!!!!!

Hey Needs, did you lose your radio presets and all? I had the same thought (backup my preferences) before sending it in, but I forgot to do it. Surprisingly, when I got my car back, all my radio and pre-set preferences were all there... Maybe the dealer backed it up and restored it?
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
I just ordered my 2012 535i and had it delivered in March...so it was built very recently. Will this update make a difference for me or should it already have the update?
As previously pointed out in post #48 this may help:

Quote:
Look at your production date. It's for cars built through January 2012.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Strangeness and more strangeness, like needsdecaf this thing is a totally new car and I LIKE IT! But, after having this update done with an annual service (incl first oil change) it is now calling for another oil change in 3100 mi., and yet the date for that is 2/13.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post
Thanks for the guidance...hmm, I'll have to confirm my production date. I think production started in late January and finished in February.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Hey Needs, did you lose your radio presets and all? I had the same thought (backup my preferences) before sending it in, but I forgot to do it. Surprisingly, when I got my car back, all my radio and pre-set preferences were all there... Maybe the dealer backed it up and restored it?
I though I was going to lose everything, but I didn't! Lost seats, but presets and shortcut buttons still there. But the other day I realized that some of my radio presets are out of order. I didn't realize it because most of the time during the week I listen to ESPN and news, and those are the last two stations on the preset list.

When I went to listen to some other stations, I realized a few were out of order! Two of my favorites were now at the bottom! What the......

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Now, for one caveat.

MAKE SURE TO SAVE YOUR PROFILE BEFORE YOU ALLOW THEM TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE!

I am still trying to figure out where I had my seat and it's driving me totally nuts!!!!!
my profile name is the same but all the settings were lost. Still can't get the seat in the correct position. On the RO it states that the both seats were recalibrated.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: Trying to decide...
Alright, it's been about a week since some of you had this installed. Of it was any sort of temporary reset things would be wearing off by now. But, are you still seeing the improved acceleration?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Does anyone know if the software update addresses "pulling to the right" issues?
What I really want to know is this: WHAT CHANGES DOES THE UPDATE MAKE TO "THE DOT"?

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post
What if my production date was on 1/12?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstucki View Post
Alright, it's been about a week since some of you had this installed. Of it was any sort of temporary reset things would be wearing off by now. But, are you still seeing the improved acceleration?
Will be a week tonight.

The car is as smooth as it has ever run. I can finally drive this car the way it was supposed to be! I love it!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
I had the "fix" about 5 days a go, and what a difference! I need make no more excuses for the way it drives. A vast improvement! The way it should always have been.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I had the "fix" about 5 days a go, and what a difference! I need make no more excuses for the way it drives. A vast improvement! The way it should always have been.
I have read on other posts about this issue that the service departments seem unaware of this particular software update, and in order to make any change in the software, they need to put the car under a diagnostic check, and unless it shows an error code, they cannot do anything.

How did all of you get your service departments to perform the software upgrade, and how do you know the service department will perform the proper software upgrade?

Do you just keep pestering them till they say uncle? My guess is that since this is not incremental revenue generating for BMW (the dealership gets paid, but it is a transfer from the BMW mothership, so it is a cost to the warranty center) in order for the dealership to get paid by corporate, they need to either confirm a problem, or demonstrate that the customer has made multiple complaints. Is this how it works?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
How did all of you get your service departments to perform the software upgrade, and how do you know the service department will perform the proper software upgrade?
It's not an error code situation. You have to keep it short and sweet if you go into some long winded story about throttle tip in, turbo lag SIB #'s, they're gonna look at you like you need therapy.
You have to speak the service language. The service advisers are basically sales and customer service reps, they aren't technicians. So if you go there and ask about SIB 240212, they have no idea WTF you're talking about.
You have to tell them,
"Hello SA, I'm having a delayed throttle issue where, when slowing down to lower speeds and then re-accelerating, a delay in engine response is experienced."
The SA writes down your comments then the tech looks it up in the BMW BatComputer against your VIN. That is where they will see this SIB.

EDIT*** - I wrote this down on a piece of paper and handed it to the SA who wrote it down on the repair order.

Last edited by TJPark01; 05-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It's not an error code situation. You have to keep it short and sweet if you go into some long winded story about throttle tip in, turbo lag SIB #'s, they're gonna look at you like you need therapy.
You have to speak the service language. The service advisers are basically sales and customer service reps, they aren't technicians. So if you go there and ask about SIB 240212, they have no idea WTF you're talking about.
You have to tell them,
"Hello SA, I'm having a delayed throttle issue where, when slowing down to lower speeds and then re-accelerating, a delay in engine response is experienced."
The SA writes down your comments then the tech looks it up in the BMW BatComputer against your VIN. That is where they will see this SIB.
In the immortal words of Barbara Billingsley in Airplane..."oh stewardess, I speak jive"
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
I have read on other posts about this issue that the service departments seem unaware of this particular software update, and in order to make any change in the software, they need to put the car under a diagnostic check, and unless it shows an error code, they cannot do anything.

Do you just keep pestering them till they say uncle? My guess is that since this is not incremental revenue generating for BMW (the dealership gets paid, but it is a transfer from the BMW mothership, so it is a cost to the warranty center) in order for the dealership to get paid by corporate, they need to either confirm a problem, or demonstrate that the customer has made multiple complaints. Is this how it works?
I spoke the magic hesitation words and even told my SA that I knew the SIB that fixed it. But the service department gave me pushback, claiming that the car did not qualify. Fortunately, there's a guy working there that I met that loves BMW's and whom I consider a true internal advocate. I took the issue and the pushback to him and 'presto' the car made a quantum jump from unqualified to 'your car is washed an ready, sir.'
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Establish a rapport with your service advisor. Tell them you need to drive it with a tech so that he can experience it. Do so. Use the magic words. No, it's not "these aren't the droid's you're looking for".

Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 535xi
Is this software update free? Also can someone tell me the "code" that I should tell my dealer? I am going in for my annual oil change soon, so I think I'll tell them about this update. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchlee View Post
Is this software update free? Also can someone tell me the "code" that I should tell my dealer? I am going in for my annual oil change soon, so I think I'll tell them about this update. Thanks in advance!
It's covered under warranty.

Check first post in thread for links to more details.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Try reading the thread.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
This forum is so helpful and I am really really appreciate everyone's effort posting all sorts of valuable information.

I did the same software update (SI B24 02 12) when I told my SA that my car seems to slam into gear after coming to a stop then accelerating. The SA said they will have to perform some sort of diagnostic tests and decide what to do next. They gave me a 328xi loaner, and 8 hours later everything is done.
The RO wrote:
"Unfavorable EGS and DME software calibration
Per SI B24 02 12. Programmed complete vehicle."

I managed to drive ~10 miles after the service and didn't see that abnormal driving characteristics any more. I will keep an eye on this in next few days and see if the engine delay completely goes away.

Total cost: $-89.95 (the cost of renting a 328 if there is no loaner ). (I had a free fun time with the 328xi).

Last edited by FBI808; 05-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM

It is hard to describe the transformation this makes on driving the car. I am so thrilled with it.

Add to it the updated steering, the fact that the lights now work, and it's just like they're eliminating all my little quibbles with the car one by one.

Pull to the right? Gone
Difficult to modulate throttle? Gone
Rough idle on warm startup? Banished.
Steering effort? Returning.
Mini info display blank upon startup? No more.
Auto headlights have stupid logic? No more
Nav doesn't display arrows until you are on top of the intersection? Not any more.
Shifter won't go into D/S mode. Fixed

If they fix the damn nav routing, I might actually fall in love with the car!

Man, I have had problems with this car!

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 05-01-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Man, I have had problems with this car!
Any difference with the auto wipers?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Any difference with the auto wipers?
If there is, can't tell. They've always been sporadic.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
I just dropped my car off at the dealer. My car has had all of the classic symptoms reported here, and they come and go. To make sure I reported everything I wrote the symptoms down on a sheet of paper and handed it to my SA. He looked over the list and wouldn't even acknowledge that he's heard about similar issues with the F10. He seemed a little skeptical and certainly noncommittal about a software upgrade.

We'll see what he says, but I have a bad feeling the dealer will resist giving me the update. I've got a feeling I'll get the "It's supposed to run that way" comment. Also, my car has about 10,500 miles and the key reader said I had 4,000 more miles to go on this oil change (consistent with my iDrive system). The car is 10 months old and they said come back in two months for a free oil change. They wouldn't do it now.

We'll see.