Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It is hard to describe the transformation this makes on driving the car. I am so thrilled with it.

Add to it the updated steering, the fact that the lights now work, and it's just like they're eliminating all my little quibbles with the car one by one.
Have you noticed that they brought back the "hidden" feature from the E60 where you don't have to engage "Park" before you turn the car off? When you come to a stop you can just hold the Stop/Start button for a few seconds and it engages park and turns the car off at the same time (except for the radio and accessories I think).

I did the Team USA event last week and drove a 2012 7, 5, and 3 series and I was able to successfully do this on all of them.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07X3platinum View Post
Have you noticed that they brought back the "hidden" feature from the E60 where you don't have to engage "Park" before you turn the car off? When you come to a stop you can just hold the Stop/Start button for a few seconds and it engages park and turns the car off at the same time (except for the radio and accessories I think).

I did the Team USA event last week and drove a 2012 7, 5, and 3 series and I was able to successfully do this on all of them.
This has always been the case on my 2011 528i. Although I don't need to hold the Start button. When I just press it like normal (split second of depression) the car goes into park and it shuts off.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddius View Post
This has always been the case on my 2011 528i. Although I don't need to hold the Start button. When I just press it like normal (split second of depression) the car goes into park and it shuts off.
Same here.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
I just dropped my car off at the dealer. My car has had all of the classic symptoms reported here, and they come and go. To make sure I reported everything I wrote the symptoms down on a sheet of paper and handed it to my SA. He looked over the list and wouldn't even acknowledge that he's heard about similar issues with the F10. He seemed a little skeptical and certainly noncommittal about a software upgrade.

We'll see what he says, but I have a bad feeling the dealer will resist giving me the update. I've got a feeling I'll get the "It's supposed to run that way" comment. Also, my car has about 10,500 miles and the key reader said I had 4,000 more miles to go on this oil change (consistent with my iDrive system). The car is 10 months old and they said come back in two months for a free oil change. They wouldn't do it now.

We'll see.
This was the same with the 335i that we got, the dealer told us to wait until 15K to get the oil change but with a little bit of persuasion, we got them to change it at 9K for free.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddius View Post
Oh, I thought I remembered reading on this board that the 2011 F10 didn't have this feature.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07X3platinum View Post
Oh, I thought I remembered reading on this board that the 2011 F10 didn't have this feature.
You can't press and hold and shut the car all the way off like you can in an E90 and E60. Perhaps that's the difference you are remembering?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM

My SA called and said they haven't looked at my car yet. We talked about the problems some more and he said that unless the car has an error code that the dealer won't do the update. He said it's a money issue. BMW won't pay for the software update unless there's an error code. This dealer doesn't want to eat the cost so they won't do it.

The SA didn't know yet if my car has an error code, but I expect it wouldn't. That's part of the problem, right?

I will likely fight them on this out of principle. The car has a known defect--hence SIB 24-02-12.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
It's a money issue in the sense that they can't make any from you? That's BS. BMW pays the dealer for warranty work performed. See if you can talk to a shop foreman but be nice.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM

The SA's point is that BMW would NOT pay for this work because it's not under warranty in that there are no fault codes. In BMW's view, there's nothing wrong with the car. They simply don't take the customer's word for it. He said they will try to replicate the conditions themselves, but you know how that will turn out.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The SA's point is that BMW would NOT pay for this work because it's not under warranty in that there are no fault codes. In BMW's view, there's nothing wrong with the car. They simply don't take the customer's word for it. He said they will try to replicate the conditions themselves, but you know how that will turn out.
He's just blowing smoke up your arse. How do you think so many people here have already had the software loaded? It seems like you need to go to another dealership.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740il M-Sport
If it weren't for this forum.....

I've experienced these throttle lag issues, and finally went to speak with my SA.

He chaulked it up to product design, the "3 series" behaves the sames way, etc. etc. No attempt to research it, or check my software version of my 2011 535i.

I waited for him to complete his corporate line, and then pulled out the PDF of the BMW Service Bulletin that was posted on this forum. I pointed to the software release, the problem - it was in black and white and undisputable.

Then and only then did he decide to have the tech check my software level, and agreed to do the full update the following week.

So.....next Thursday, it goes in for the update which ties up the car for a full day. Loaner provided.

I'll update the forum with the results. But the point here is this. Do not accept the corporate line. Come with fact in hand, be nice, and stand firm. It's hard to argue with facts.
2013 740il Carbon Black/Saddle Nappa Leather M-Sport | Exec. Pkg (BMW Apps / Ceramic Controls / Multi-Contoured Front Ventilated Seats / Active Seats / Power rear/side sunshades / Head-up Display / Instrument panel Napa leather) | 20" 303 5 spoke wheels

2011 Audi Q5 3.2 S-line

---------------------------------------
2011 535i M Sport - Carbon Black/Cinnamon.retired 6/13

2007 x5 4.8 Sport. retired 12/10
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
He's just blowing smoke up your arse. How do you think so many people here have already had the software loaded? It seems like you need to go to another dealership.
If you do that, be sure go to to dealerrater and review the unhelpful dealer.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Show him the SIB. The symptoms are transient enough that they are tough to verify.

Also, show him the SIB for the idle fluctuation. Tell him you have that. Let me know if you need more description to get them to do it. Note in the description of the SIB it specifically says:

Situation
Under certain engine cold starts, the engine idle may fluctuate during the first 10-20 seconds of operation before becoming stable.

No faults will be stored in this situation, which will usually only occur at specific engine temperatures, making it difficult to reproduce in the workshop.

It's a total crock of crap that they can't do something without codes. Have them do this, and you will get the software for all the other modules as it is a comprehensive upgrade.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olneymd View Post
I've experienced these throttle lag issues, and finally went to speak with my SA.

He chaulked it up to product design, the "3 series" behaves the sames way, etc. etc. No attempt to research it, or check my software version of my 2011 535i.

I waited for him to complete his corporate line, and then pulled out the PDF of the BMW Service Bulletin that was posted on this forum. I pointed to the software release, the problem - it was in black and white and undisputable.

Then and only then did he decide to have the tech check my software level, and agreed to do the full update the following week.

So.....next Thursday, it goes in for the update which ties up the car for a full day. Loaner provided.

I'll update the forum with the results. But the point here is this. Do not accept the corporate line. Come with fact in hand, be nice, and stand firm. It's hard to argue with facts.
I have driven three different F30's. NONE of them behaved this way.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
OK, has anyone done an extensive "nav" test yet to see if they've even fixed it a little bit? I did test mine on a trip to Cleveland the beginning of the week with purposeful side trips off the route to check the dynamic rerouting. The basic nav choices for the basic route were what to expect from any decent nav. The dynamic seemed a bit better in not generating as many "make a legal U-turn" messages with substitutions of going around a block or 2. I suspect that there be some improvement but this admittedly was not a good test to check on the elimination of our gremlins. So if anyone has a trip coming up that you know was problematic before, would be interested in hearing about a post update system wring-out. THX

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Show him the SIB. The symptoms are transient enough that they are tough to verify.

Also, show him the SIB for the idle fluctuation. Tell him you have that. Let me know if you need more description to get them to do it. Note in the description of the SIB it specifically says:

Situation
Under certain engine cold starts, the engine idle may fluctuate during the first 10-20 seconds of operation before becoming stable.

No faults will be stored in this situation, which will usually only occur at specific engine temperatures, making it difficult to reproduce in the workshop.

It's a total crock of crap that they can't do something without codes. Have them do this, and you will get the software for all the other modules as it is a comprehensive upgrade.
I saw that language from the SIB as well. But I thought it only applied to the N55 engine and not my N52. By the way, my cold start does reveal a slight irregular idle. The other SIB on the throttle/tranny issue specifically applies to the N52T. Is there a difference between the N52T and the N52?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: Trying to decide...
You're right. I had it done today and it's all the difference in the world. Te tech wrote on the paper that he felt no irregularity but I have an awesome SA and he said the car was in the applicable range anyway so they'll do it. (I even walked back with him to see the download servers and the 8 spots that ARD can be connected and updated out of the way. Pretty cool setup.)

I feel the different steering and acceleration which is great.

One minor difference I haven't read in this thread is the half push on the turn signal only gives on flash of the blinker now. It used to be that a half push would blink three times.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstucki View Post
One minor difference I haven't read in this thread is the half push on the turn signal only gives on flash of the blinker now. It used to be that a half push would blink three times.

Your settings have been changed. Hit voice command button say "lighting" and check off the box for triple turn signal.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstucki View Post
You're right. I had it done today and it's all the difference in the world. Te tech wrote on the paper that he felt no irregularity but I have an awesome SA and he said the car was in the applicable range anyway so they'll do it. (I even walked back with him to see the download servers and the 8 spots that ARD can be connected and updated out of the way. Pretty cool setup.)

I feel the different steering and acceleration which is great.

Thats only because your settings were cleared with the update. Go back to settings in idrive to re-enable the triple blink.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
My review here
Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Well my dealer performed the update and the initial impressions are impressive. It's like a different car--at least in the first 15 miles or so. I hope it holds up.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Well my dealer performed the update and the initial impressions are impressive. It's like a different car--at least in the first 15 miles or so. I hope it holds up.
So they stopped giving you the run around? That's good news. I know in the N55 it was more of an annoyance. According to many people on the N52, it made the car unlivable.

2011 BMW 528i: Throttle Tip-In Insanity
Old 05-04-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
So they stopped giving you the run around? That's good news. I know in the N55 it was more of an annoyance. According to many people on the N52, it made the car unlivable.

I think it varied by car. It was beyond an annoyance with me...

Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:

When I test drove 528 vs 535 a year ago, I experienced more tip-in delay on 528i. I don't know if it's true in general.

3 days have passed, I still cannot believe what a difference a software upgrade can make. The steering almost feels like a true BMW now

I feel bad for 2011-2012 F10 owners who do not know about this out there. Spread the words!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 PM

The dealer never really refused to do the update. The SA was just saying that unless the car had an error code they wouldn't do the update. I don't know if I had an error message or not, but they did the update and so far the performance is greatly iimproved. Hope it holds up.