Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Classifieds > Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum
Post your positive or negative feedback about transactions with members or vendors here.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335
Exclamation Burger Motorsports WARNING

Hi All, this is just a friendly noticed to fellow BMW owners. We all drive some nice expensive dependable cars here. I would hate for anyone else to experience this.

I just wanted to let everyone know about a recent experience with Burger Motorsports. I purchased a N55 JB4 after reading some mixed reviews about the company; the thing that swayed me to make my purchase was actually seeing the JB4 in action. I ignored several negative reviews about support because I felt that I was experienced enough in installing car mods and would not need help installing such a simple item. It also seemed like the product worked for quite a few people… However, when they don’t work, they DESTROY your car and your warranty and there is no way around that.
This thread is a warning…. If you install this you are taking a huge chance if you wish to keep your car under warranty and/or running dependably or expect support to resolve any issues. Burger Motorsports has made it really easy to ruin a $60k car with a simple $500 dollar purchase.
After installing the N55 JB4 (completely correct - step by step according to the instructions) onto my perfect condition, - never had an issue- 2013 BMW 335, the N55 JB4 destroyed my cars ECU, program/encode control units and the intake air temp/pressure sensor.
What really sucks about Burger Motorsports is the lack of support and lack of motivation to help or take responsibility from beginning to end. Burger Motorsports even forced me to pay for return shipping.
The steps taken to figure this out were painstaking and very inefficient, almost 2 weeks of non-support and deflection and defensive gibberish. Burger Motorsports REFUSED to speak on the phone while repeatedly saying they don’t have phone support. This lack of phone support message was of course delivered to me via e-mail; these emails oddly enough included “Sent from my iPhone” in the signature.

To summarize my actual experience of Burger Motorsports support:

ME: Initial request for help….. and asked if they had a phone #
-Wait 15 minutes for a return email
BM: requested a picture of the install…
ME: sent and asked for a phone #
-wait 5-15 more minutes to get the next email
BM: ask about the install process
ME: reply and send another picture and asked for a phone #
-hit refresh for another 15 min wait….
BM: Advised to reinstall and send pictures.
…you get the idea
*This process produced no results

They decided to send out a new unit which left me without a running car until the new unit arrived (4 days later)
The new unit was installed once again and the same process happened again. No clue how to fix, no urgency, no phone support, no accountability.
For 2 weeks I was without a running car and no one would call me on the phone to help fix the issue.
In the end, the N55 JB4 was returned. I received a refund and no follow up or questions into what happened or what happened to my car after knowing it was disabled.
I took the car to BMW and paid the price for trying to mess around with a HIGH RISK product from a lousy, non-supportive company that doesn’t care about ruining peoples cars.
The JB4 seems like a good idea if you are willing to risk destroying the electrical system on your car and if you have a back-up BMW or don’t use the mod on a daily driver.

-Vito
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: I hate PM. Email me!
Hi Vito,

As I had mentioned to you via email a week or two ago I'm sorry to hear about the negative experience. Sometimes these things just don't work out.

From our side of the fence in reviewing the emails I found our technical staff replied to your email/requests for help in a timely manor, replaced the unit with a new one upon your request despite your unwillingness to run all the specific diagnostics requested, and ultimately were polite and professional despite your generally belligerent attitude.

Technically speaking, it was was their (and my) opinion that you damaged your DME pressure sensor voltage output by plugging in and/or unplugging the JB control box with the battery connected. That is the only way to do that sort of damage. Both units sent back were installed on our test bench where they showed no faults, and moved over to our development vehicle where they also performed without issue.

Again sorry it didn't work out,
T
BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Terry,

It was actually over a month ago that you sent an email, after I reached out and asked to speak with you or someone about my concerns. Taking into consideration the lack of customer service, I understand it’s easy to lose track of time on your end – not for me though. I was the one without a car this past month!

It’s a little more than "sometimes these things just don't work out"... The N55 JB4 destroyed the electronics in my car. I would say that you can classify my attitude however you wish, if any car owner here had to go through what I went through (faulty product, bad/slow support, irreversible damage to my vehicle, and not having a car for a couple weeks) they probably would not be happy either.

Technically speaking, your opinion (and the one staff guy I emailed with - Jon) could not be more incorrect simply because the battery was disconnected, please don't go there. I understand that saying that is your only way out of accepting responsibility for your product destroying my car, but, that is just not the case and not going to fly.

What you did or did not do with the units or the wiring harness after they were returned isn't verifiable. A very nice story though. I sure hope that they are not being put back into stock because you will again destroy someone elses car, not provide acceptable support, provide no customer service or urgency to fix the problem and then deflect blame and responsibility.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: F30 3.35i
I feel your pain Vito I am in the exact same position you were in. I wish I had seen your post before going with the JB4 on my brand new 2013 F30 335i Sportline.

Installed Stage 1 at around 5,000 miles
Installed Stage 2 at around 10,000 miles only 5-6 months of using the Stage 1 on a stock car

I installed the M Perforance Exhaust when I went Stage 2 and definitely noticed the extra power. Well one magical day this happened:

Friday 13, 2014.
-Motor shut off while braking at a red light. I was down to about 20 mph luckily just enough momentum to avoid an accident from a collision. Also lucky enough that the power steering and power brakes were working because all the gauges on the dash dropped to ZERO. All lights on the dash, radio/NAV -screen, and A/C turned off.

-Started motor back up was when I got the "Drivetrain Malfunction" message I see every single day for a month already. Sometimes the car tries to go into Park for some reason while in motion when I am braking and the NAV screen will say something along the lines of "P Parking Position Not Recognized While Vehicle is in Motion..."

-Physical radio preset buttons 4 and 6 do not correlate to the correct FM station. You have to manually use the knob instead of just hitting the buttons on the head unit,

-Window locks do not work although pressing it does illuminate the green light indicating that it should be functional.

-Everyone running the JB4 stage 2 N55 F30 or prior 335i complains about the rough idle even when the motor is already warmed up. And it is always inconsistent which is probably why no one knows how to fix it or why.

Is this something you risk with all tuners regardless if you went with Dinan for their warranty? Yes. That is why you pay extra because chances are these tuners will cause issues somewhere down the line.

But the JB4 in my case happened in under a year. Totally unacceptable. I cooperated with Jon's tests and actually drove 2 hours to a professional BMW tuner shop outside of Houston that only works on modifying BMW's for racing purposes.

They even sell and install the JB4 there as well as a vendor. Owner was a nice guy just understaffed since his garage only had maybe 4-5 bays.

His words exactly from the man who I will not mention "yeah...a lot of those JB4 units have grounding problems from the factory" I replied "aren't they quality inspected since they're made in the U.S.?" he replies "I offer lifetime warranty."

Like really if my car dies again I'm going to pay a wrecker for 2 hours of transport for a warranty job out of a 4-5 bay tuner shop?

Tuning is dangerous. Bolt ons are much safer but you don't get the bolt ons to work as efficiently without tuning. My suggestion: don't mess with it unless you have a fat wallet and plenty of time to kill
Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Hey Alex,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Burger motorsports is simply a shady organization.

I have already talked to several other people with the 335i that have had problems and are scared to go to BMW and void the warranty. Also, people have been sending PM's.
Hopefully more people see this and can avoid disaster.

Burger is selling bum parts, it's almost fraud... They know they are breaking peoples cars and continue to hide behind a keyboard with a weak excuse for "support".

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Dr.BMW

Mein Auto: Fastest M3 in Tx
If you were to take ALLLLLLL the products that Terry sells- and compare them to ALLLLLLL the failures, I'd be willing to bet they are VERY low percentages..... and I'd even be willing to bet that the percentage rate of failure is lower than most electronics (because ALL electronic companies have a failure rate, regardless of what it is. ALL OF THEM)

We've installed a BUNCH, being a vendor for him. To tell you the truth, We've only seen issues on these when they are incorrectly installed from the customer. We've never had to send one back.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:36 AM

Mein Auto: F30 3.35i
Well snapped pics and emailed to Terry. I installed correctly nothing on the JB4 stage 2 board was burnt from a bad ground.

The short must have happened on the DME side. I put a bypass wire on yesterday still working on it I don't think I grounded it well enough. Basically the TMAP plug ground wire needs to be run to a chassis ground point is what Terry says solved all the problems.'

I also heard that from another member on here that PM'd me something exactly like that.