Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: 3 series
2001 x5 sat max and cd player value

Hi,

I'm looking to buy 4.4i 2001 x5 from a friend but the sat nav is not finding location and has not been since he bought it. Tred the reset, driving for long journey, unplugging and sitting overnight etc but all to no avail. The cd changer also not working and does not play CDs.
I've also noticed the display on the computer when background colour is changed reverts back after restart.

My question is not so much on ways to fix as I've looked at that already on the forum and don't want to waste everyone's advice a second time round.

I'm happy to but the car with these not working but we are trying to work out how much of a value they are against the vehicle and how much to reduce the sale price by to reflect it.

As I say, we want to be fair to each other as we are mates so decided to put it out there for impartial opinions.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

1998 318i convertible, boston green with black roof, manual
1981 Delorean, stainless steel, gullwing, manual.
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 PM
brodie@morrisracing.net

Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i
Honestly, I wouldn't wanna purchase an X5 with too many pre-existing problems. With that being said, I also wouldn't wanna purchase from a friend because if something else goes wrong in the future, you may feel like your friend withheld information. Not saying you're that kind of gentlemen!, but that may be how you feel afterwards.

You may be better off shopping elsewhere online.. Who knows, you may find a better deal out there.

Regardless, good luck with the X5 hunt!

2001 BMW X5 4.4i - Jet Black - Beige Leather - Sports Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, 20" Aftermarket Wheels
2002 BMW 745i - Sterling Grey Metallic - Black Leather - Convenience Pkg - Sold
1999 Chevrolet Corvette - Arctic White - Tan Leather - Convertible - Sold
2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 - Silver Steel Metallic - Black Leather - 425HP, Navigation - Sold
Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I'm happy using from him as I have before.

What value would you put on a non working sat nav and cd changer?

Old 04-28-2012, 04:50 PM
brodie@morrisracing.net

When I purchased mine, the navigation, cd, nor radio worked. Basically the whole entertainment system was useless.
I ended up buying an aftermarket radio (FM, AM, CD, AUX, & iPod) & installed all for $250 USD.

I bought my 2001 X5 4.4i w/ 97k miles for $11,200 USD, with the radio/cd/nav not working.

2001 BMW X5 4.4i - Jet Black - Beige Leather - Sports Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, 20" Aftermarket Wheels
2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 - Silver Steel Metallic - Black Leather - 425HP, Navigation - Sold

Last edited by BM0rri5; 04-28-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM

Overall how do you find the car reliable wise and cost to run.

I've heard horror stories on water seals in the engine going along with the air suspension and that they eat ball joints and bushes!

Love the car but trying to figure out if these are things are likely to happen!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM
brodie@morrisracing.net

Reliability; For the most part, it's reliable. I've had to have it towed home once (radiator hose blew). I bought mine in December of last year.
Cost to run; Couldn't just buy the single hose, ended up having to buy the hose & the piece the hose connected onto ($200 USD from dealer). I think if you have a good INDY, it shouldn't be too bad. Gas wise... It's a tank, and it costs me roughly $80 to fill it up, but that $80 will give me 400 miles til empty.
But do I trust it? For the most part, yes. I've made a few roadtrips with it and granted, on a couple of the roadtrips I did bring the laptop and OBD-II scanner just in case (you never know what may happen).

Mine isn't air suspension so I don't have any comment for that. However, being mine doesn't have air suspension, I will say it still rides great. Not the smoothest, but I wouldn't expect it to be.

Last edited by BM0rri5; 04-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.