Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 320i
2004 330i ZHP - Clears Questions

Hi All.

First: Ive searched for clears and spent the last 2 hours reading all the threads. Some very interesting reads. This one did it for me due to the looks:

330i ZHP with clears

Anyway, here are a couple questions I'd like to ask since I've never done a mod like this before. When I say clears im refferring to front, sides and backs.

1) CANADA: Ive seen lots of posts about clears being illegal in the states, but nothing about Canada. Does anyone know? Specifically Ontario?

2) A continuation of above, will Canadian dealers install the clears? What price where you charged?

3) Ive read various posts of people expressing that you shouldnt get non BMW (OEM) clears due to poor fit, condensation, etc. Does this include Bekkers?

4) Could you reccommend any other places that would sell a reliable set at a good price?

5) Does anyone have pics of a Jet Black ZHP sedan with clears (and maybe even a ~35% tint?)

For reference, I have a Jet Black ZHP ordered. On most cars I think the clears look cheap, but the pics Ive seen with the black look just amazing due to the white/dark contrast.

Thanks all!
Ads by Google
Old 05-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Solid Send a message via AIM to Solid Send a message via Yahoo to Solid
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Bekkers sells OEM clears. They are legal as long as they glow amber.

ASA SK1 Supercharged 330i ZHP
Old 05-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasie
3) Ive read various posts of people expressing that you shouldnt get non BMW (OEM) clears due to poor fit, condensation, etc. Does this include Bekkers?
I suppose you get what you pay for.

I ordered the OEM clear side markers from Bekkers. Came quick and fit fine. I also ebayed a Taiwanese replica set for the front corners. Frankly they fit fine and were a quality match for BMW OEM (your opinion may vary but they looked the "same" quality as the amber set of corners I took off. I never had any problems with poor fit, condensation or etc.

'course I no longer have either on since I decided the "clear" look was not for me.

Good luck!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i /04' Touareg
Red ZHP with clears???????????????

Does anyone have Red ZHP with clears for my viewing??????????
Old 05-27-2004, 10:41 PM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be ZHP
Does anyone have Red ZHP with clears for my viewing??????????
It's linked in the first post (underlined).

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 05-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Twin Turbo Addict

Send a message via AIM to Fzara2000
Mein Auto: E92 335is
How easy is it to take out the original amber sides and put in clears?

Also, i've heard that the side marker on the car cannot be taken off because you need to heat it up to take off the glue and then glue it back on. Is this true?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Solid Send a message via AIM to Solid Send a message via Yahoo to Solid
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
The installation for everything was very easy. The side markers come off easily if you use a credit card. Just use the DIY's from http://www.my330i.com/garage.php

ASA SK1 Supercharged 330i ZHP
Old 05-28-2004, 12:56 AM
They call 'em rigs here

Mein Auto: '09 E92.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid
The installation for everything was very easy. The side markers come off easily if you use a credit card. Just use the DIY's from http://www.my330i.com/garage.php
I just pushed in and forward with my bare fingers, didn't have to use a screwdriver or credit card. Easy.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Yeah, really easy. I bought an OEM set from bekkers (along with my Rondell wheels). Took ten minutes to do the front and sides; maybe 30 minutes to do the rears. I also purchased four Philips Silvervision bulbs to replace the amber bulbs. The new rear clears came complete with bulbs, so I now have about 20 extra bulbs!
Old 05-28-2004, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: prelude
Phantasie,

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for your ZHP? & Specifically what options did you get?

I'm from Toronto and have just started pricing/looking around... just dont want to get taken for a ride.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2004, 01:19 PM

I dont have the invoice infront of me, however -
MSRP was 53,850 or so
I got ~$1500.00 off that
Plus taxes + freight ($500) + misc crap (couple 100 at most).
Final was low 60's with tax (basically a F of a lot of money imo, but im sure it will be worth it :-) )/

I didnt add any options, as I was already over what I wanted to spend. Had I added options, NAV would have been first choice, followed by power seats.

At the time I was happy with 1500 discount, however I found recently there is a dealer incentive ($2000'ish) in the states which I would assume is here as well - if that is the case then maybe I didnt do so well :-).

Edit: One thing I didnt notice was inconsitiency between freight charges. One dealer quoted me $1695 for freight, while another was only $500. Unless I missed something, it seems to me that was being used as a way to bolster profit.

Last edited by Phantasie; 05-28-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by routesixtysixer
Yeah, really easy. I bought an OEM set from bekkers (along with my Rondell wheels). Took ten minutes to do the front and sides; maybe 30 minutes to do the rears. I also purchased four Philips Silvervision bulbs to replace the amber bulbs. The new rear clears came complete with bulbs, so I now have about 20 extra bulbs!
I have a new 330cic with Sport Package so I got the clears. Does anyone know if I can put Philips Silvervision bulbs in the front to replace the OEM amber bulbs? I've done a search, but I want to confirm that I can replace the bulbs in a 2004 without causing damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front clears.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	31159  

Orient Blue, Natural Brown, Black Top, 6 Speed Manual
Xenon, Cold Weather Package, Sports Package, Premium Package, Hardtop
Old 05-28-2004, 06:35 PM
stop staring at me swan

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid
Bekkers sells OEM clears. They are legal as long as they glow amber.

Not true on sedans... The clears do not have the amber reflector in them.

There needs to be an amber reflector, and in the sedan, it is in the front turn signal. On the coupe it is on the bumper
Old 05-28-2004, 06:36 PM
stop staring at me swan

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA330CIC
I have a new 330cic with Sport Package so I got the clears. Does anyone know if I can put Philips Silvervision bulbs in the front to replace the OEM amber bulbs? I've done a search, but I want to confirm that I can replace the bulbs in a 2004 without causing damage.

Im sure there has to be a way to replace the light. I would look for a way to get behind the housing. You might want to ask the dealer if there is a way to replace this bulb. Im sure there has to be.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt819
Im sure there has to be a way to replace the light. I would look for a way to get behind the housing. You might want to ask the dealer if there is a way to replace this bulb. Im sure there has to be.
Bentley Manual?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzara2000
How easy is it to take out the original amber sides and put in clears?

Also, i've heard that the side marker on the car cannot be taken off because you need to heat it up to take off the glue and then glue it back on. Is this true?
No, it's like a 10 second job. Just push a credit card underneath the rear end and gently push towards the front of the car.

2004 BMW 330i, Imola Red, Step, ZHP, NAV, Sirius, Leather, Xenon, PDC, Gruppe M Intake, Dension 300GB MP3, AUX Input, Front/Side Clears w/Silvervision Bulbs, bimmerfreak Black Grill, AC Schnitzer Pedals/E-Brake Handle, Imola Red Shift/E-Brake Boots. Previously: 2001 Audi A6 2.7T, 1998 BMW M3/4 5-Speed Dakar Yellow
My Car Page
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I dont have the invoice infront of me, however -
MSRP was 53,850 or so
I got ~$1500.00 off that
Plus taxes + freight ($500) + misc crap (couple 100 at most).
Final was low 60's with tax (basically a F of a lot of money imo, but im sure it will be worth it :-) )/

I didnt add any options, as I was already over what I wanted to spend. Had I added options, NAV would have been first choice, followed by power seats.

At the time I was happy with 1500 discount, however I found recently there is a dealer incentive ($2000'ish) in the states which I would assume is here as well - if that is the case then maybe I didnt do so well :-).

Edit: One thing I didnt notice was inconsitiency between freight charges. One dealer quoted me $1695 for freight, while another was only $500. Unless I missed something, it seems to me that was being used as a way to bolster profit.

Phantasie,

Thanks again for the info. The only option I'd think about getting is the leather seats because I'm not sure that I like the alacantara/cloth seats very much. (and how will the cloth wear over time...)

Also: The part that's worrying me about the Alacantara steering wheel is that, over time, won't sweaty hands start to stain the steering wheel? I'm still trying to get more info on that. What do you think?

anyways - thanks again for the info Congrats on the purchase, when do you pick her up?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'SoN
Also: The part that's worrying me about the Alacantara steering wheel is that, over time, won't sweaty hands start to stain the steering wheel? I'm still trying to get more info on that. What do you think?
I've only had the Alcantara steering wheel for 2,000 miles, and so far, no problems or unusual wear. I usually have clean hands when I drive. I think (I might be mistaken) that some have had their [alcantara] steering wheel replaced if they've worn out, and even been able to pay the difference to get the M3 steering wheel as the replacement.

I did opt for leather seats, though.

2004 BMW 330i, Imola Red, Step, ZHP, NAV, Sirius, Leather, Xenon, PDC, Gruppe M Intake, Dension 300GB MP3, AUX Input, Front/Side Clears w/Silvervision Bulbs, bimmerfreak Black Grill, AC Schnitzer Pedals/E-Brake Handle, Imola Red Shift/E-Brake Boots. Previously: 2001 Audi A6 2.7T, 1998 BMW M3/4 5-Speed Dakar Yellow
My Car Page
Old 05-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Twin Turbo Addict

Send a message via AIM to Fzara2000
Mein Auto: E92 335is
If you dont mind me asking, how do clears look on the SG (silver gray) E46 3-series sedans? Does anyone have any pictures of it?

I've tried a search but it doesnt like boolean very well.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoN][c
Thanks again for the info. The only option I'd think about getting is the leather seats because I'm not sure that I like the alacantara/cloth seats very much. (and how will the cloth wear over time...)
I wanted leather all along. My original plan was a 325 with leather, etc. However once I saw the ZHP, I was sold - I like to drive a car thats a bit different from the rest. The ZHP coupled with the Alcantara allowed for that so I went for it without even seeing the interior in person. However lots of people on the board say they love it, plus pics look great. Will have to see, its just another thing thats driving me nuts while waiting for this car to come :P

Quote:

anyways - thanks again for the info Congrats on the purchase, when do you pick her up?
Yes, I wondered the same thing. It looks like it would wear easily. If thats true, I dont know - will have to see.

I ordered the car early May, and I pick it up 3rd week of June (so I would assume its coming off the line/ put on boat right about now?)
Old 05-29-2004, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i (with pp)
Quote:
Phantasie,

All you ever wanted to know about Alcantara:

http://www.alcantara.it/english/auto...automotive.htm

I have it on my ZHP and really like it. Especially when it's 90+ degrees out; the leather on my wife's car gets way too hot.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenas
I've only had the Alcantara steering wheel for 2,000 miles, and so far, no problems or unusual wear. I usually have clean hands when I drive. I think (I might be mistaken) that some have had their [alcantara] steering wheel replaced if they've worn out, and even been able to pay the difference to get the M3 steering wheel as the replacement.

I did opt for leather seats, though.

Hrm, interesting. Is it covered by warranty?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I wanted leather all along. My original plan was a 325 with leather, etc. However once I saw the ZHP, I was sold - I like to drive a car thats a bit different from the rest. The ZHP coupled with the Alcantara allowed for that so I went for it without even seeing the interior in person. However lots of people on the board say they love it, plus pics look great. Will have to see, its just another thing thats driving me nuts while waiting for this car to come :P

Yes, I wondered the same thing. It looks like it would wear easily. If thats true, I dont know - will have to see.

I ordered the car early May, and I pick it up 3rd week of June (so I would assume its coming off the line/ put on boat right about now?)

Well, i'd be really interested to know what you think when you get the car. YOu must be dying of anticipation!
Old 05-30-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hou330izhp
All you ever wanted to know about Alcantara:

http://www.alcantara.it/english/auto...automotive.htm

I have it on my ZHP and really like it. Especially when it's 90+ degrees out; the leather on my wife's car gets way too hot.

Cool, thanks for the link Hou330izhp!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:15 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
1) CANADA: Ive seen lots of posts about clears being illegal in the states, but nothing about Canada. Does anyone know? Specifically Ontario?
Can't speak for Canada. Clears are not illegal in the US -- many cars are sold stock with clear lenses on light modules. However, the light must be amber. White, blue, etc. signal lights are illegal. This is why there is a healthy market for partial-silver coated amber bulbs to eliminate the "egg yolk" effect of amber bulbs in clear lens housings.
Quote:
2) A continuation of above, will Canadian dealers install the clears? What price where you charged?
I have no doubt that Canadian dealers will do the install. I don't know the actual price, but with parts and labor it will probably come to something between $400-500 US. However, the install really is pretty straightforward, so you really can do it yourself. Especially the front and side markers. With the help of a friend, the rears are not difficult either, based on IndyMike's description (this all came a shock to me... they must have radically changed the design since '01; doing the rears on my '01 330cic was a one-person piece of cake). I'd strongly urge you to consider doing it yourself... it's a great bonding experience with your car.
Quote:
3) Ive read various posts of people expressing that you shouldnt get non BMW (OEM) clears due to poor fit, condensation, etc.
Good advice.