Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1! I think so too.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 07 530i, 04 CTS
Confucius once say: "What is worse than a BMW dealership?"

Answer: A BMW customer.

Go to other forums to see attitude and behavioral differences among customers and dealers, e.g., Audi, Cadillac, Corvette, Mercedes, T-Bird (retro), etc. See examples below.

I spend several hours per day on various forums, and I have done this for 4 or 5 years.

My impression of attitudes and comments on various forums:

TBird forum members:
I need a hard roof shipped from Austin to Chicago. Can anyone help.
Poster from south Tx says he will pick it up, attach it to his car and drive it to St. Louis. Another poster will chime in and volunteer to take it on last leg of trip.

Cadillac forum members: (My personal experience at Caddy dealership.) I took my 07 Caddy in for a detailing. When I picked it up, the outside driver mirror was not working via inside buttons. I spoke with service writer. He agreed that something was wrong. I told service writer the following:
a. this failure happened coincidentally. OR
b. detail guy pressed on glass and stripped gears in side of mirror. OR
c. too much water got into mirror mechanism, and it would probably start working again in next few days.

Service writer told me he would make it right and do what is necessary. I knew that dealer would do a chargeback against the detail guy (who was likely making $9.00 per hour.) I told service writer that I would wait a few days to see if the mirror corrected itself because I did not want the detail guy to pay $700 or so out of his pocket. After all, my car was almost 5 years old.

NEWS FLASH

Mirror started working again after a few days. Everyone lived happily ever after.

Audi forum member: F & I person tried to oversell extended warrs and service plans. He told me that if I did not buy these plans at the time of actual purchase, that I could not buy them in the future. Poster did some research and discovered that the above info was incorrect. Poster felt that he could not and would not trust this dealer for future needs. Poster started doing business at another dealership; poster posted his displeasure on the forum.

Corvette forum member: Dealer cracked rocker panel. I spoke with service mgr. He looked at car, consulted with technician. Dealership agreed to install newly painted new rocker panels. No arguments; no cussing by either party; dealer did what was right. Dealer also voluntarily offered customer a free oil change. Customer accepted.

My distinct impressions after reading tons of posts on BMW forums:

Dealer scratched my tail light. I am going to DEMAND a new car.

We are all concerned about our possessions, but we are all humans. Some of us have greater social skills than others. In short, my unscientifically-formed impression is that the TBird owners have most of the social skills. You all can decide which other forum groups have greater or lesser social skills.

Final comment (for this thread/post) that I have heard on the BMW forums:

"I told that service manager where to go. I called him a complete arse hole. I also told him that I was taking my business to the dealer on the other side of town.

BINGO, as luck would have it, the old service manager leaves the first BMW dealership and moves to the one across town. Guess how much goodwill he gets at that dealership???

Last edited by z06bigbird; 12-23-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsev View Post
why is everyone still bashing morristown? Aside from the license plate issue, they explained everything in detail about their work and their answers are legit. Most dealers would just tell the guy to f off. Atleast the parts manager has enough balls to come on here into the wolves den and explain both sides of the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecman View Post
i dont even own a bmw yet, but this is a pretty decent response from the dealer..
+3
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
+1! I think so too.
All I can say is if you don't have any direct dealings with that dealer, TALK IS CHEAP.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 1 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECMAN View Post
I dont even own a BMW yet, but this is a pretty decent response from the dealer..
Quote:
+1! I think so too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
+3
Thanks for the support guys, we try very hard at our jobs here. It is nice when people notice this, although certainly not expected. I believe every person I talk to can see my devotion to our BMW brand and our BMW Center. I urge our bimmerfest.com members contact me directly for assistance with anything BMW related here in Morristown.

Can we get things correct 100% of the time? Of course not, just look at how Vern has to speak up anytime BMW of Morristown is mentioned. We obviously upset him / her at some point in the past. So much so, that anytime somoeone mentions our BMW Center's name on our great forum, he must post a glowing recommendation for our closest geographic competition (not a bimmerfest.com sponsoring Center, mind you).

But, the fact remains, we have a presence here at bimmerfest.com for a reason, we pay our dues for a reason. We want to be a part of this community!

Thanks again! --Mike
-- 973 796 3056
-- mike.wendroff@openroad.com
-- www.bmwofmorristown.com

Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWofMorristown View Post

Can we get things correct 100% of the time? Of course not, just look at how Vern has to speak up anytime BMW of Morristown is mentioned. We obviously upset him / her at some point in the past. So much so, that anytime somoeone mentions our BMW Center's name on our great forum, he must post a glowing recommendation for our closest geographic competition (not a bimmerfest.com sponsoring Center, mind you).

Thanks again! --Mike
I "speak up" because I had a very bad taste of the BS from your sister center, Open Road with the BS they fed me more than once and forced me to go to a different dealer,JMK. because I couldn't trust them any more.
Lets understand one thing you don't have to be a sponsor to be a good BMW dealer like your trying to project. Many on here buy your line but like I said before "talk is cheap" PS read post # 44 and there are many others, ( do a search ). I'm not alone. Have a GREAT day
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 12-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
contact your local news channel to do a report on bad dealerships. i threatened to do this to a dealer who lied on a car app years ago.they quickly. changed their tune bought the car back and paid off the loan. i still have the paper work hung on my wall in the office. unless you play hard ball they will treat you like crap

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: NJ
Thanks Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I "speak up" because I had a very bad taste of the BS from your sister center, Open Road with the BS they fed me more than once and forced me to go to a different dealer,JMK. because I couldn't trust them any more.
Lets understand one thing you don't have to be a sponsor to be a good BMW dealer like your trying to project. Many on here buy your line but like I said before "talk is cheap" PS read post # 44 and there are many others, ( do a search ). I'm not alone. Have a GREAT day
cheers
vern
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECMAN View Post
I dont even own a BMW yet, but this is a pretty decent response from the dealer..
Interesting. VTECMAN makes one post EVER from Ontario and is never heard from again.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Well, I thought it was a reasonable explanation and nice of them to take the trouble to explain it so fully. Makes perfect sense to me anyway. I am sure that every dealer uses the bulk oil system as it just makes way more sense. Sorry you are not happy but from the explanation it doesn't seem like anything was improper, except perhaps the license plate frames I guess.
Same lol I'd be happy a dealer was using these forums... Wish mine did, but my dealer since new ownership has been outstanding (we'll see if my op changes when I'm out of warranty in a mo. and half )

Last edited by SuperTerp; 01-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Same lol I'd be happy a dealer was using these forums... Wish mine did, but my dealer since new ownership has been outstanding (we'll see if my op changes when I'm out of warranty in a mo. and half )
? a dealer in Rockville?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
? a dealer in Rockville?
lol yep... Priority 1 has done like a 720 from where VOB was.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Bought 2013 X5 from them last May for PCD - didn't really have any problems. Was uneasy because we were well aware of the reputation of the previous dealership Never could understand how a car dealer that had such a negative rep could sell so many cars - they often had up to 200 new vehicles in stock. Odd thing - brough vehicle in at 9000 miles due to low oil, which they topped off. SA was the same one we used at a local Lexus dealer.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
Bought 2013 X5 from them last May for PCD - didn't really have any problems. Was uneasy because we were well aware of the reputation of the previous dealership Never could understand how a car dealer that had such a negative rep could sell so many cars - they often had up to 200 new vehicles in stock. Odd thing - brough vehicle in at 9000 miles due to low oil, which they topped off. SA was the same one we used at a local Lexus dealer.
Great loaner fleet now... No more rent-a-car like in the past, 90% of the guys at the desk let you pick any car you want (i've tried them all )

The GM auto email you get after service will actually respond if you write to him (cced other guys when I was saying how happy I was)

I think they sold so much cause most people didn't want to fight in traffic to get a broken car to passport, SS, FairFax. You know the traffic. If I lived in germantown, fredrick, exc. I'd much rather go to Rockville than Passport at 5pm on a weekday. They had the prime real-estate and it showed even with bad service it worked.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Great loaner fleet now... No more rent-a-car like in the past, 90% of the guys at the desk let you pick any car you want (i've tried them all )

The GM auto email you get after service will actually respond if you write to him (cced other guys when I was saying how happy I was)

I think they sold so much cause most people didn't want to fight in traffic to get a broken car to passport, SS, FairFax. You know the traffic. If I lived in germantown, fredrick, exc. I'd much rather go to Rockville than Passport at 5pm on a weekday. They had the prime real-estate and it showed even with bad service it worked.
What has all that got to do with the OP?
cheers
vern
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi
@z06bigbird

You nailed it !

I just sold my Audi and got a BMW. I moved from Audizine to bimmerfest and like you said I can clearly
see the difference ! People were more friendly, kind, warm and welcoming on Audi forums. I can see why Audi owners hated BMW drivers..Not trying to start a Audi vs BMW war..flame suit on !
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
What has all that got to do with the OP?
cheers
vern
lol two off topic posts... Its ok its not the end of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbrutus View Post
@z06bigbird

You nailed it !

I just sold my Audi and got a BMW. I moved from Audizine to bimmerfest and like you said I can clearly
see the difference ! People were more friendly, kind, warm and welcoming on Audi forums. I can see why Audi owners hated BMW drivers..Not trying to start a Audi vs BMW war..flame suit on !
Better not make more than 3 off topic posts, you could loose your kneecaps
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
Confucius once say: "What is worse than a BMW dealership?"

Answer: A BMW customer.

Go to other forums to see attitude and behavioral differences among customers and dealers, e.g., Audi, Cadillac, Corvette, Mercedes, T-Bird (retro), etc. See examples below.

I spend several hours per day on various forums, and I have done this for 4 or 5 years.

My impression of attitudes and comments on various forums:

TBird forum members:
I need a hard roof shipped from Austin to Chicago. Can anyone help.
Poster from south Tx says he will pick it up, attach it to his car and drive it to St. Louis. Another poster will chime in and volunteer to take it on last leg of trip.

Cadillac forum members: (My personal experience at Caddy dealership.) I took my 07 Caddy in for a detailing. When I picked it up, the outside driver mirror was not working via inside buttons. I spoke with service writer. He agreed that something was wrong. I told service writer the following:
a. this failure happened coincidentally. OR
b. detail guy pressed on glass and stripped gears in side of mirror. OR
c. too much water got into mirror mechanism, and it would probably start working again in next few days.

Service writer told me he would make it right and do what is necessary. I knew that dealer would do a chargeback against the detail guy (who was likely making $9.00 per hour.) I told service writer that I would wait a few days to see if the mirror corrected itself because I did not want the detail guy to pay $700 or so out of his pocket. After all, my car was almost 5 years old.

NEWS FLASH

Mirror started working again after a few days. Everyone lived happily ever after.

Audi forum member: F & I person tried to oversell extended warrs and service plans. He told me that if I did not buy these plans at the time of actual purchase, that I could not buy them in the future. Poster did some research and discovered that the above info was incorrect. Poster felt that he could not and would not trust this dealer for future needs. Poster started doing business at another dealership; poster posted his displeasure on the forum.

Corvette forum member: Dealer cracked rocker panel. I spoke with service mgr. He looked at car, consulted with technician. Dealership agreed to install newly painted new rocker panels. No arguments; no cussing by either party; dealer did what was right. Dealer also voluntarily offered customer a free oil change. Customer accepted.

My distinct impressions after reading tons of posts on BMW forums:

Dealer scratched my tail light. I am going to DEMAND a new car.

We are all concerned about our possessions, but we are all humans. Some of us have greater social skills than others. In short, my unscientifically-formed impression is that the TBird owners have most of the social skills. You all can decide which other forum groups have greater or lesser social skills.

Final comment (for this thread/post) that I have heard on the BMW forums:

"I told that service manager where to go. I called him a complete arse hole. I also told him that I was taking my business to the dealer on the other side of town.

BINGO, as luck would have it, the old service manager leaves the first BMW dealership and moves to the one across town. Guess how much goodwill he gets at that dealership???

I know this is an older post but it's the best post I've ever read on this estrogen filled forum lol
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
I know this is an older post but it's the best post I've ever read on this estrogen filled forum lol
+1
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Mike, Vern,

I've completed a great interaction with Benson automotive in Martinsville, NJ.

They helped solve the flooding problem I had with the BMW 530i by diagnosing the problem, and then fixing it. They fixed my electrical problem by replacing corroded wires caused by the massive flooding. I'd been requesting Morristown BMW to fix this problems for years, at an excessive cost not to fix it. I bought my BMW at Morristown BMW. At Benson automotive, I speak with the Bill Benson, the owner, not some empty suit.

There is a difference between actual quality service and persistent quality perception management.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2700 View Post
Mike, Vern,

I've completed a great interaction with Benson automotive in Martinsville, NJ.

They helped solve the flooding problem I had with the BMW 530i by diagnosing the problem, and then fixing it. They fixed my electrical problem by replacing corroded wires caused by the massive flooding. I'd been requesting Morristown BMW to fix this problems for years, at an excessive cost not to fix it. I bought my BMW at Morristown BMW. At Benson automotive, I speak with the Bill Benson, the owner, not some empty suit.

There is a difference between actual quality service and persistent quality perception management.
Are you trying to tell us to stay away from Morristown BMW?
cheers
vern
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Vern,

I love my BMW 530i. It is to me undoubtedly, the ultimate driving experience.

There is obviously people with BMW in Germany who are passionate and driven to make our relationship with their car, the ultimate driving experience.

My experience with BMW Morristown and BMW Bridgewater, NJ has been deflating to say the least. An expensive, deflating experience.

Thank god for Denson automotive, Martinsville, NJ.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2700 View Post
Vern,

I love my BMW 530i. It is to me undoubtedly, the ultimate driving experience.

There is obviously people with BMW in Germany who are passionate and driven to make our relationship with their car, the ultimate driving experience.

My experience with BMW Morristown and BMW Bridgewater, NJ has been deflating to say the least. An expensive, deflating experience.

Thank god for Denson automotive, Martinsville, NJ.
Thanks for clarifying that. I can honestly say that my dealer JMK BMW has been great in every way,Sales, Service and Certified Body Shop. I also loved and love my BMW and above all the driving experience but I must also say that JMK BMW has been so GOOD they keep me buying BMW's.
cheers
vern