Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 325i
Front Control Arm Question

Finally got to tracking down a common problem of steering wheel shake and vibrations at certain speeds. Since it seemed to go away when I put on my 15 inch snow tires and come back with my 18 inch summer shoes which have been balanced twice, I figured I had a bent wheel. However a quick run out check showed the wheels to be pretty true but checking furthuer found a lot of play in both right & left outer ball joints. Guess the bigger wheels just accentuate the problem. So have ordered Lemforder front control arms and bushings from FPC Groton - best prices.
Question I have is there any special thing I need to do installing the Lemforder bushings ? Read where OEM bushings are installed on the arm using a special grease/glue that bonds the rubber bushing to the arm so that the rubber flexes with the arm movement rather than just having the arm spin in the bushing. Any one know if I need to use that glue process with the Lemforder bushings ? Don't see where that glue stuff is offered by FPC and seems you got to work pretty fast to get the car back on the ground before the glue sets up !

I do see that these control arms do have "solid" ball joints which is an upgrade from OEM ?

Trust this will end my shake & vib. Comments anyone ?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Lube the bushing and FCA with dish soap, but do that last, because the car needs to be on the ground within 30 minutes of putting the soap on so that it dries in the correct place. The special lube has the same effect, but it harder/more expensive to find.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 325i
Thanks for the tip Shigeta. 30 min. should be enough even for this old guy. As a side benefit of this project I'm thinking when I remove the drivers side FCA I may finally be able to get to the fuel filter for a long over due change - what a PITA that filter !